VMP dual fan heat exchanger vs Kincaid Killer chiller

V8Flexin

Established Member
I'm stuck between choosing either one for my daily driven GT500. On one hand the VMP is a less complicated big dual fanned tripple pass heat exchanger and could keep my IAT2 temps just below 140* in hot Texas city driving conditions but there is little info on its actual performance in hot weather. It can only cool to near ambient temp which road surface heat runs between 110-150* on 95* average days. On the other hand the killer chiller could put my IAT2 30-40* below ambient but still little information on hot weather performance. Also the AC system was never designed to handle the heat from cooling a supercharger system. With all that said I'm likely going to go the killer chiller route. Anyone else running the VMP new HE or Killer chiller on their GT500 care to chime in with their opinion?

JB_2010GT500

Established Member
I haven't come across much data showing that the killer chiller actually works. Either the few people that have them don't share the data, or the killer chiller doesn't work well enough for people to post their data. I'd pass and stick with what works. Sometimes keeping it simple is the way to go. I'm running the KB 2.8 hot box on 17 psi with the C&R heavy duty heat exchanger. My iat2s start around 110 F at the line and touch 150 F thru the 1/4 traps. It's just good enough to keep timing from being pulled on my Lund tune. Like I said, keep it simple.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

V8Flexin

Established Member
I'm not much of a track rat due to my local track gets packed and you'r lucky to get 2-3 passes in 2-3 hours which is no fun. I have most of my fun commuting back and forth to work. I'm looking for best multiple light to light and on ramp pulls performance cooling in hot weather. I feel the traditional heat exchanger may not be up to the cut. I wish there was more video/info out there of actual heat soak reduction performance. Not just the traditional "mine's the best" "no! mines the best" lip talk from the vendors. This is 2017 vendors, shut your mouth and SHOW us the goods.

HillbillyHotRod

Hooligan rabble rouser
Established Member
I have the VMP triple pass and my IAT2 generally runs 30 degrees over ambient temp. Granted I have not had it out in blistering 100 degree days but when temps are in the 90s the IAT2 temps run in the 120 range.

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
The Killer Chiller works extremely well. You won't be able to use it at the track though, since the condensation dripping from your air box with the AC running will get you booted before you can even stage.

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
I'm running the VMP triple pass and am very pleased. But the Killer Chiller is a superior technology that will keep your IAT2's significantly lower in all but the coldest weather conditions. The Killer Chiller is not a difficult install and they are priced approximately the same, but I just didn't want to compromise the functional streetability of the AC system.

And Danny, I've heard that the Drag Kit for the Killer Chillers actually does a pretty good job of controlling condensation at the track. In conjunction with the VMP HE, I use ice in a Moroso reservoir at the track, but would go Drag Pack KC if my goal was to wrench every ounce of performance out of my 07'. Which is not what the OP wants to do.....

V8Flexin

Established Member
Thank for the info Hillbillyhotrod that's what I figured. That's my only issue with the dual fan set up is ambient heat. I remember driving down the highway and sticking my hand out the window to gauge the temp and it felt like a oven outside. Looks like the Killer chiller is the setup for me and I'll figure out how to make it cool even better. Probably pull the HE and fab in 2 additional 1gal coolant tanks insulated behind the front bumper and insulate the lines. I'll make sure I post result video's for future buyers.

V8Flexin

Established Member
I'm running the VMP triple pass and am very pleased. But the Killer Chiller is a superior technology that will keep your IAT2's significantly lower in all but the coldest weather conditions. The Killer Chiller is not a difficult install and they are priced approximately the same, but I just didn't want to compromise the functional streetability of the AC system.

And Danny, I've heard that the Drag Kit for the Killer Chillers actually does a pretty good job of controlling condensation at the track. In conjunction with the VMP HE, I use ice in a Moroso reservoir at the track, but would go Drag Pack KC if my goal was to wrench every ounce of performance out of my 07'. Which is not what the OP wants to do.....
Yeah, I'm not trying to wrench every ounce out at the track but keep every hp during the daily commute for the random opponents that try me. I don't mind the lower ac vent temps as I work in a hot shop and not too jaded by the heat hence the vert. Plus if it gets too hot a slushy will fix that write up...lol.

Willie

Established Member
Flexin, can you text me? I have much information on this matter, information that no one else had, so I took the plunge, installed both the HE and KC on independent switchable circuits and with digital intercooler temperature gauges, I know the performance of both systems, side by side on the same car.

NightRide

Roll Racer
Established Member
Flexin, can you text me? I have much information on this matter, information that no one else had, so I took the plunge, installed both the HE and KC on independent switchable circuits and with digital intercooler temperature gauges, I know the performance of both systems, side by side on the same car.
Why not just post the data here?

Willie

Established Member
Why not just post the data here?

Simple. I returned my car to stock and sold it last week. I'm selling all my parts including the KC and did not want this thread to become a "classified ad". Doing so would make it seem that I was posting just to sell my stuff. Don't wanna do that.

NightRide

Roll Racer
Established Member
Simple. I returned my car to stock and sold it last week. I'm selling all my parts including the KC and did not want this thread to become a "classified ad". Doing so would make it seem that I was posting just to sell my stuff. Don't wanna do that.
I suppose but it's a thread about comparing the two which nobody has any data. If you have numbers between the two it would benefit everyone to post them.

Willie

Established Member
I know exactly what you are saying and I will be willing to share specifics, not just the end result but also how I installed everything because you've gotta know that guys will ask. Let me sell my stuff first, but for now I will say this:

1) A dual heat exchanger system can NEVER cool the IC fluid to ambient temp because ambient air is used to cool.
2) The KC uses freon to cool the IC fluid.

So which system will cool the IC fluid to a lower temp?

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
I suppose but it's a thread about comparing the two which nobody has any data. If you have numbers between the two it would benefit everyone to post them.

^^This.

.. Probably pull the HE and fab in 2 additional 1gal coolant tanks insulated behind the front bumper and insulate the lines. ...

Do not do that. If you do, it'll take forever for your A/C to cool the cabin. That is way too much water to chill with the stock compressor. I have the Killer Chiller and the large reservoir on my Whipple'd GT500. That amount of water is right at the limit of the stock A/C system's cooling ability. That said, I LOVE my KC! No HE/fan setup can touch the cooling a KC does.

Willie

Established Member
05133 a.JPG
Interior Center Gauges 01.jpg
How I control IC fluid flow and digital gauges. They read to the tenth of a degree so virtually ANY difference in temps would be seen on these...

V8Flexin

Established Member
^^This.

Do not do that. If you do, it'll take forever for your A/C to cool the cabin. That is way too much water to chill with the stock compressor. I have the Killer Chiller and the large reservoir on my Whipple'd GT500. That amount of water is right at the limit of the stock A/C system's cooling ability. That said, I LOVE my KC! No HE/fan setup can touch the cooling a KC does.
How much system coolant are you running and how long until max lowest temp?
View attachment 81416 View attachment 81417 How I control IC fluid flow and digital gauges. They read to the tenth of a degree so virtually ANY difference in temps would be seen on these...
That's a badass setup you got there. However, I'm not big on buying certain things used. Where did you get the wood grain dash kit? Never seen a 4 pod gauge holder. I currently have the 3 pod Shelby unit that came with the car.

Willie

Established Member
05563.JPG
Where did you get the wood grain dash kit?

I bought it about 8 years ago. I don't recall who from. I don't think the company or the product exists any more.

I call my car a "custom retro". I used pics of a '68 GT500 to emulate. Lots of chrome and wood.

Never seen a 4 pod gauge holder. I currently have the 3 pod Shelby unit that came with the car.

I get this comment a lot. It is custom fabbed. I have dozens of one-off parts on my car.

V8Flexin

Established Member

Users who are viewing this thread