What do you guys use to keep your batteries working when you have multiple cars?

TK Doom

Established Member
Since i have 3 cars now, and i'm working on the 3rd car garage access, I don't drive my Cobras much and last time the batteries appeared to have trouble starting.

Both batteries are fairly new.

What is the SOP for taking care of multiple cars when you can't drive them with the same frequency?

TIA

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
i have 2 cobras and a f-150 truck, but don't seem to have this problem... but maybe it's because they are all my "dd's", so i i alternate them enough. my truck sits the most, but still never seems to exhibit slow starting.

i always buy motorcraft bxt-59 batteries and they seem to last around 4 years or so.

the solution: drive your cobras more! lol

TK Doom

Established Member
Well, the 200k mile one needs some work, and i'm getting my 3 car garage issue fixed, so i'll have access to all soon. I really like my Fusion Sport though. LOL

specracer

SVTOA MCA
Premium Member
+1 on deltran battery tenders. Some cars I leave plugged in all the time. some, I move the tenders around. I also have a ctek, but that car has a LiOn battery, so can't use the deltrans.

nxhappy

Established Member
cheap battery tender from harbor freight will work just fine ....

oldmodman

Established Member
I have a "Battery Tender" on every car and motorcycle, as well as an electric start generator. Seven in all. Newest is ten years old and all of them still work perfectly. Plus. They have extended the battery life from a year or two to over ten. Including the little lawn tractor one in the generator.
They are always on. I don't even unplug them when they are disconnected from the car.

Brutal Metal

Established Member
I unplug the positive terminal from the battery for the garaged car and monitor it's voltage. Using a tender previously wasn't effective after a number of years...

specracer

SVTOA MCA
Premium Member
I'd like to do that, but we have required state inspections, and it clears the ECU data, so cars are not ready. Drive cycles surely bring them back, but takes time, and miles, which somethimes I don't have.

I unplug the positive terminal from the battery for the garaged car and monitor it's voltage

08mojo

Established Member
not for sale in CA...wonder why.

Apparently the regular 'plus' is not energy efficient enough for California. Get the 'Plus High Efficiency' that states it was made for use in CA:

http://products.batterytender.com/Automotive/Battery-Tender-Plus-High-Efficiency.html

I use battery tenders on several motocycles and my corvette. Have not had an issue in 5+ years for the motocycles and 2+ for the corvette. The supplied plugs make it really easy to use--you can mount the plug to where you do not have to pop the hood to connect/disconnect the charger.

There are also some pretty good 'accessories' from other companies to make the charging task even slicker, such as a magnetic charging port like this one: http://www.nakidparts.com/id127.html

Users who are viewing this thread