Where to buy an 03/04 Cobra Long/shortblock in 2017

03_Zinc_Termi

Established Member
Where can I buy one? I know MMR has shortblocks and Longblocks but they're stroked to 4.75 and I was looking to stay with the 4.6 for the build. It seems that at some point around the Coyotes arrival Ford stopped producing the 4.6 Aluminator, even a remanufactured stock longblock is impossible to find, nobody builds them anymore from what I've found. It's only the 5.0 available on most sites. Just wondering what everyone else is doing as far as building/replacing their 03/04 Cobra engines nowadays. Couldn't find any current threads like this so I decided to post, hopefully I've just overlooked some shops out there because I'm in need of a stock reman or built motor depending on the price. Also considering building the current stock motor once I get it apart and see what's wrong. But if it's completely shot I wanna have a couple places ready to order a shortblock/longblock from. Any helps appreciated

03_Zinc_Termi

Established Member
I have called L&M and a few other places as well, no luck so far with a decent priced replacement engine.

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
Yes from what i have read, Ford's hi-performance emphasis has been mainly with the coyote platform since its introduction, sort of leaving us modmotor folks hanging =(

cj428mach

Established Member
There was a guy selling a new in crate 4.6 Aluminator short block for a little under 4k in the market section. He was in texas if I remember.

03_Zinc_Termi

Established Member
Yeah all I can find are used longblocks and even those are a bit rare. Just nervous about buying a used motor for so much money and possibly getting shafted. Would almost rather build my current one if its salvageable. I would just think that Ford would at least offer us the chance to special order them even if we had to pay a little more.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

cj428mach

Established Member
Ford does offer a 5.3l short block thats interchangable with the 4.6l. Its like $5500 though

Black02GT

*Not 2KBlackGT
Established Member
I hear you on used, I almost bought one from someone on here local until I went through his threads and saw 5th gear pull videos posted. Was "just selling because I have a built engine", a week or two later was selling the bare block due to melted #2 piston. Wasn't much money but it's a lot of labor just to take out again because you bought someone's junk.

The MMR Long-blocks are 4.75 because they use Coyote cranks, I believe the rest is the same. You could always send them your crank or have a local shop just rebuild yours depending on the condition. I actually had a hard time finding people local wanting to do the job, seems no one wants to mess with the 4V these days.

Where are you located?

03_Zinc_Termi

Established Member
The link wouldnt post so i copy/pasted it bellow.

The big bore (3.700) Boss block is a very nice piece especially for n/a applications, Ken.

"When you supercharge it the head gasket seal becomes a little tender and is the block's weak point. The reduced sealing characteristics can be fixed by o-ringing the heads and block and installing a stainless wire o-rings in the heads. The block deck surface will need a corresponding receiver groove and you will need to use dead soft solid copper head gaskets. This approach will seal up even the most aggressive engines. The o-ring grooves need to be a figure 8 style for 3.700 bores, because of the very narrow sealing surface between the bores.

Ford's short blocks have become a one size fits all sort of situation. This produces pistons that are flycut for 3V and 4V engines and sometimes 2V engines also. When you use these short blocks in a supercharged application all the valve reliefs for the different pistons provide fertile ground for piston failure. Additionally Ford uses nice pistons for daily driver style street performance that are poor choices for high power street style performance engines."

03_Zinc_Termi

Established Member
I hear you on used, I almost bought one from someone on here local until I went through his threads and saw 5th gear pull videos posted. Was "just selling because I have a built engine", a week or two later was selling the bare block due to melted #2 piston. Wasn't much money but it's a lot of labor just to take out again because you bought someone's junk.

The MMR Long-blocks are 4.75 because they use Coyote cranks, I believe the rest is the same. You could always send them your crank or have a local shop just rebuild yours depending on the condition. I actually had a hard time finding people local wanting to do the job, seems no one wants to mess with the 4V these days.

Where are you located?

Yeah I was told that MMR was using the Coyote crank because it was easier and cheaper to get vs the stock ones so they just started selling the stroker 4.75 instead of the 4.6l.

Last edited:

03_Zinc_Termi

Established Member
Update:
Called MMR today and they said that if I want to stay 4.6l that I could send in my stock block and crank and they would knock off $500 for each because they wont have to supply them, so $1000 off if I use my old block and crank. By keeping my old crank I'll still have the 4.6 instead of the 4.75 stroker. He said that it applies to both the longblocks and shortblocks so just subtract the $1000 from either one I go with basically. I should have my motor out this weekend so I'll update as I go. So far though it's looking like I'm gonna go with an MMR 1000SE shortblock and reuse my stock block/crank.

Sent from my iPad using svtperformance.com

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
That sounds good, best of luck with it.

I hope someday Ford Performance will start making direct replacement "Aluminator" long blocks again.

03_Zinc_Termi

Established Member
That sounds good, best of luck with it.

I hope someday Ford Performance will start making direct replacement "Aluminator" long blocks again.

Yeah, I understand not keeping them in stock because they aren't in high demand like the Coyotes are but I think people should still be able to special order them through Ford. MMR shouldn't be the only option for a new longblock, and even with them the 4.6 4V is kind of a special order since they mainly advertise the 4.75 and 5.0 strokers. Gotta reuse my old block and crank to stay somewhat original

01yellercobra

Established Member
Might want to do some Google searching before committing to MMR. Just my opinion on things.

Misspelling brought to you by Tapatalk

03_Zinc_Termi

Established Member
Done plenty of searching on them, which is why I posted this. They're one of the only options available for a shortblock/longblock. Anyone else that Ive found who builds a shortblock has had a bad rep as well. Im not set on MMR, but after weeks of trying to find someone who has a good rep and builds these motors Im at a loss. I just posted this to see if someone had a better option

03_Zinc_Termi

Established Member
have you looked at livernois?

Yeah, they have some nice motors but also only sell strokers (I assume for the same reason as MMR). They also don't carry any longblocks that I could find, only shortblocks. Their base motor is good for 700 hp and priced at $4500 before shipping. The next one up is rated for 900 hp and priced at $5500. Both are stroked to a 4.9 according to the descriptions. Prices are a little higher than MMR's. Does anyone have any first hand experience with them? Ill call today and ask if they can reuse my block/crank to save money and stay with the 4.6 like MMR. The MMR 1000SE shortblock is rated at 1000 hp and is priced at $4900, it will come down about $1k by reusing my block/crank according to them. So basically $3900 for the 1000SE shortblock. Id like to go with the longblock which is why MMR's so tempting, but a shortblock isn't out of the question.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Tifosi2003GT

Established Member
Yeah, they have some nice motors but also only sell strokers (I assume for the same reason as MMR). They also don't carry any longblocks that I could find, only shortblocks. Their base motor is good for 700 hp and priced at $4500 before shipping. The next one up is rated for 900 hp and priced at $5500. Both are stroked to a 4.9 according to the descriptions. Prices are a little higher than MMR's. Does anyone have any first hand experience with them? Ill call today and ask if they can reuse my block/crank to save money and stay with the 4.6 like MMR. The MMR 1000SE shortblock is rated at 1000 hp and is priced at $4900, it will come down about $1k by reusing my block/crank according to them. So basically $3900 for the 1000SE shortblock. Id like to go with the longblock which is why MMR's so tempting, but a shortblock isn't out of the question.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

When you call them also ask them if they offer a forum discount. I believe they may take off another 7% I believe, which would help if they can use your block and crank. I would go with livernois over mmr. Either way keep us updated!!

oldstv

Established Member
Premium Member
I am in the same boat as you. Have you considered Fastlane Motorsports?
IF you can speak to Melvin he might be able to help you out. They build engines there and he is very knowledgeable if you can get to him.

Users who are viewing this thread