Where to buy an 03/04 Cobra Long/shortblock in 2017

Rambro

Established Member
Does he really wanna spend $15K?[/QUOTE

It's hard out there for us mod motor guys. You either have to learn to do it yourself or trust a shop to do it, long block options are very few and very expensive. Major turnoff for this platform IMO.

Last edited:

SVTdreamin04

What's a "Termi"???
Established Member
Premium Member
Does he really wanna spend $15K?

Yeah, when I started a thread on engine builders in Indiana, Livernois reached out to me and said to contact them. They do ask a premium price and then some! I went with BES Racing here in Indiana. They know their stuff and have won the Engine Masters challenge a couple of times. I couldn't find a bad thing about this shop. Tony Bicshoff is an abundant amount of knowledge and will answer any question you have. You should look them up and check them out. They do GREAT work and stand behind their work.

I don't want to run MMR under the bus, but I have read quite a few horror stories, and this is why I decided against them. I did order one of their head cooling mod kits, and when I installed it, the hose they sent to connect the two was like 3 inches short. I didn't bother to call them and ask for more hose, I just ate the cost of buying hose that I shouldn't have had to buy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

SVTdreamin04

What's a "Termi"???
Established Member
Premium Member
If I can add to this thread also, you need to do your research because some engine builders may try to sell you on things you really don't need. I won't mention names of vendors, but some from what I felt were trying to sell parts that I knew I wouldn't need. I had one quote for a rebuild of $22,000 and another for over $20,000. I told them both what I wanted, and they did not do as i asked when quoting me a rebuild price. Tony, who is the owner of BES Racing actually listened to what I wanted and was more than helpful prior to me committing to having him do the machine work on the heads and the rebuild. He wasn't trying to sell me on unnecessary stuff that I knew I didn't need and that you can only build these engines in a climate controlled and filtered room.......

That is the type of service I was looking for and that is what I got. I just fired my engine over about three weeks ago and it runs as smooth as can be. I did have an o ring that was torn on the oil cooler when they reassembled it, but they gave me another o ring and more break in oil. I am being long winded with my experience, because this is what I was looking for review wise when researching a builder for my engine. If I lived in California, I would spend the money to have it shipped to him for a rebuild. I had my heads repaired, new pistons, machine work, stage 2 comp cams, valve springs, Ford performance parts timing set, ARP head studs and some other things done for less than 10,000.00. My engine had been best up pretty bad by one of the 6 previous owners...............

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
What do you guys think of this? Only "8k miles"

https://www.ebay.com/itm/182739017532

Sent from my iPad using svtperformance.com

That's the item to have for sure. Buying used can always be a such a crapshoot though. There were problems with some harmonic dampeners hitting the front covers, so I would try to find out any history about that.

I remember when they were selling new... wish I had the extra dough to snag one at the time.

I would have bought the complete sc longblock. They were a full, direct replacement for our engines - from wrinkled blue valve covers right down to the oil pan.

Are you listening, Ford Racing??

03_Zinc_Termi

Established Member
That's the item to have for sure. Buying used can always be a such a crapshoot though. There were problems with some harmonic dampeners hitting the front covers, so I would try to find out any history about that.

I remember when they were selling new... wish I had the extra dough to snag one at the time.

I would have bought the complete sc longblock. They were a full, direct replacement for our engines - from wrinkled blue valve covers right down to the oil pan.

Are you listening, Ford Racing??

Unfortunately no history is available on it other than what the description says.. it is a very big risk but they're feedback is pretty good? Lol

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

LouieMoo

Established Member
Depending on your preference of power and how your going to drive the car I would personally go with the stroked block at this point just based on if you want to keep up with the power all these cars are making these days, you just might want every bit of power you can squeeze out.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using the svtperformance.com mobile app

01yellercobra

Established Member
How well does a stroked motor play with turbos?
A buddy had a single turbo on a stroker 2V. Custom cams and ported heads. I don't remember the compression, but at 8psi it put down a little over 500rwhp on 91 octane.

Misspelling brought to you by Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread