Whipple's NEW 4.5L 275AX 07-2014 GT500 Supercharger

bpmurr

Established Member
How much extra weight does it add compared to the stock blower?

bpmurr

Established Member
Not sure about that as we never weighed the TVS, 4.0L or 4.5L.

You should sometime. It would be interesting to know how much weight each model adds over stock.

Last edited:

Myfast70

Established Member
You should sometime. It would be interesting to know how much weight each model adds over stock.

Who cares unless we're talking 100's of pounds as the new found power will compensate for whatever minimal weight gain there would be.

Bad Company

Established Member
Just letting you guys know we installed one of these on our 2013 GT500 (Snow White) and the results were very impressive to say the least.

There's an article in 5.0 Mustang & Super Fords magazine coming out shortly which gives a direct comparison between the results we got with the 4.0L and 4.5L. The 4.5L in short made almost 150rwhp more than the 4.0L at the same boost level. The TQ gaines were even more impressive.

So if you're looking to build a monster the 4.5L is definitely the way to go.

We'll be back at the drag strip with our car soon and will be sure to post track results then.

Let us know if you have any other questions.

Thanks, Jared

Lethal Performance 2013 GT500 aka Snow White: Preparing for 5.0 Mustang's KOTS competition! - YouTube
What is the practicality of using this supercharger on a true street driven car with 93 octane pump gas? My thought are you have to drive the supercharger at low ratios/speed. This would net a very lazy throttle response on the street at low engine RPM. You are also limited by the fuel to 18 psi of boost at peak Hp engine RPMs due to the fuel.

I realize that you can't say much until after the 5.0 magazine article is on the newsstand. To me a lot of these articles and the cars, along with the parts used to show what can be done have turned into a promotion to sell the magazines and shops doing the mods. Because they require special fuels to be able to drive the car. I live in an area where there is only 1 gas station selling E85 in a 100 mile radius to the general public.

Really how practical is this blower when used on a car that you want capable of driving anywhere in the country on 93/91 octane pump gas?

bpmurr

Established Member
Who cares unless we're talking 100's of pounds as the new found power will compensate for whatever minimal weight gain there would be.

If you're serious about racing every little detail matters. Yes you're correct about the additional power outweighing (no pun intended) the weight but for those of us that appreciate the details it's good to know.

John@Lethal

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
What is the practicality of using this supercharger on a true street driven car with 93 octane pump gas? My thought are you have to drive the supercharger at low ratios/speed. This would net a very lazy throttle response on the street at low engine RPM. You are also limited by the fuel to 18 psi of boost at peak Hp engine RPMs due to the fuel.

Really how practical is this blower when used on a car that you want capable of driving anywhere in the country on 93/91 octane pump gas?

Virtually none. The Supercharger in retail form will be supplied with a 5" pulley which is going to make around 22psi IIRC give or take a pound. Obviously beyond the limits of 93, without Meth. It's main focus for the blower is race/competition applications. We're able to drive the Shelby on the street as it's fueled with E85 and with Ken's magic, it's not so bad. Hell, if Jared could drive it, anyone can. :thumbsup:

With that being said, I always suggest you focus on something you can run efficiently.

Last edited:

Sdsaathoff

Established Member
Virtually none. The Supercharger in retail form will be supplied with a 5" pulley which is going to make around 22psi IIRC give or take a pound. Obviously beyond the limits of 93, without Meth. It's main focus for the blower is race/competition applications. We're able to drive the Shelby on the street as it's fueled with E85 and with Ken's magic, it's not so bad. Hell, if Jared could drive it, anyone can. :thumbsup:

With that being said, I always suggest you focus on something you can run efficiently.

What are the dyno results with that fuel and s/c?

Bad Company

Established Member

Thank you

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
So at 4500 feet, that should be about 18lbs. Perfect!
Following this thread as I'll be a E85, but I a question I've always wondered was does the elevation change pump gas detonation threshold?
I know it changes the boost number (and effective cylinder pressure) but I would think the gas threshold wouldn't change.
i.e.---this blower will make 18# for you and pump gas could potentially support this 4.5 at your elevation? :shrug:
-J

19COBRA93

Tire shredder
Established Member
Following this thread as I'll be a E85, but I a question I've always wondered was does the elevation change pump gas detonation threshold?
I know it changes the boost number (and effective cylinder pressure) but I would think the gas threshold wouldn't change.
i.e.---this blower will make 18# for you and pump gas could potentially support this 4.5 at your elevation? :shrug:
-J

Yes, the detonation threshold is still the same. So if it would only make 18lbs up here on the 5" pulley (which I think is pretty accurate), then absolutely I could run this blower on pump gas. Now I just have to figure out how to get my hands on one.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Nice might actually be better with less heat to make the same 18 psi compared to the 4.0 at 18#
-J

1320 Junkie

Established Member
Personally I think the 3.4 or 4.0 is about where u need to stop thinking "street" unless you run e-85 or race gas 24/7....if ur building a race application the 4.5L is prob what you want.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Personally I think the 3.4 or 4.0 is about where u need to stop thinking "street" unless you run e-85 or race gas 24/7....if ur building a race application the 4.5L is prob what you want.

100% agree but I see the guys point at elevation, they need all the help they can get:loser:
-J

tomshaze

Established Member
I just bought one off these bad boys I'm in Pharr tx just gunna wait for it in the mail I'm running boost a pump 72 lbs injector and a little meth i was told it would be about 18 psi on a 5 inch pulley from Dennis at Whipple so we will see if it blows

I mean honestly it's a freaking 5 inch pulley I think it will be fine

Look the 4.0 Whipple 19 psi 4.0 inch pulley

4.5 Whipple inch bigger pulley can't be 22 psi

BrokenCool

LOL @ Retiring
Established Member
I just bought one off these bad boys I'm in Pharr tx just gunna wait for it in the mail I'm running boost a pump 72 lbs injector and a little meth i was told it would be about 18 psi on a 5 inch pulley from Dennis at Whipple so we will see if it blows

Your gonna be under spinning that blower big time.

I would take lethals word of 22lbs with the 5" pulley.

John@Lethal

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor

Your gonna be under spinning that blower big time.

I would take lethals word of 22lbs with the 5" pulley.

I just double checked. The info I was given was right before we installed ours. That was apparently just an estimate at the time.

As of now, they are retailing with a 4-3/4" pulley that should be at 19-20psi. Sorry for any confusion guys.

19COBRA93

Tire shredder
Established Member
I just double checked. The info I was given was right before we installed ours. That was apparently just an estimate at the time.

As of now, they are retailing with a 4-3/4" pulley that should be at 19-20psi. Sorry for any confusion guys.

Even better. That means at 4500ft I could probably run a 4.5" pulley on pump gas.

Users who are viewing this thread