Who has used the kenne bell fule rail pressure disc?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRBO VNM

have you searched? seriously?

a thread was just posted about this within the past week or something. I have seen people posting about it a few times in the past month.

so yes, people are using it.

zonk22

Established Member
thanks, I'll search again. I'm just trying to figure out whether or not a no tune is required.

Ironhand

Banned
See sig. Yes Im using one. I started using one after I popped an FRPS with a fuel pressure spike of 78psi. The proper fuel setup though shouldnt need to have one. I think the Fore Rails have it built in.

FAsnakes

الوزن الى القوة
Established Member
When i was running an FRPS i had the disk and didn't have a problem pop'ing the FRPS.. .

I've since deleted my FRPS - but don't see why you would need a tune..

zonk22

Established Member
I just assumed that the sensor helped the computer adjust for fuel needs. And I assumed that the disc may effect its ability to do so.

Last edited:

cobracide

Established Member
I just assumed that the sensor helped the computer adjust for fuel needs. And I assumed that the disc may effect its ability to do so.

Following Bernoulli's Principle, with a capped pipe at the end (FRPS) - pressure remains constant at any given point in that capped pipe UNTIL it narrows. ie - no change in pressure until AFTER the disc. This will have no effect on the tune.

Correction: This is a closed system regulated by the PCM. Therefore pressure is constant throughout in an ideal system.

Last edited:

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Following Bernoulli's Principle, with a capped pipe at the end (FRPS) - pressure remains constant at any given point in that capped pipe UNTIL it narrows. ie - no change in pressure until AFTER the disc. This will have no effect on the tune.

So will the sensor "see" less pressure than what is actually in the rail, since it is after the restriction and "tell" the PCM that less pressure is in the rail?

Wouldn't the PCM then drive slightly more pressure into the rails to "see" the pressure it expects for those conditions?

Wouldn't this result in a slightly richer condition than what the PCM is calibrated for?

Or would the O2s tell the PCM of the actual richness and over ride the pressure information and just adjust for stoich.

I suspect that the pressure is the SAME on both sides of the resistor because there is no flow volume of any significance and therefor no pressure drop through the resistance of the orifice.

But I have no proof.

broke7

Stock IRS Guru
Established Member
no

I will even go 1 step further, if your not blowing frps's on a regular basis dont even bother putting one in. Per KB, the original concept behind the disc was to get rid of hesitations experienced with the returnless sytems, not to prevent failures.

cobracide

Established Member
So will the sensor "see" less pressure than what is actually in the rail, since it is after the restriction and "tell" the PCM that less pressure is in the rail?

Wouldn't the PCM then drive slightly more pressure into the rails to "see" the pressure it expects for those conditions?

Wouldn't this result in a slightly richer condition than what the PCM is calibrated for?

Or would the O2s tell the PCM of the actual richness and over ride the pressure information and just adjust for stoich.

I suspect that the pressure is the SAME on both sides of the resistor because there is no flow volume of any significance and therefor no pressure drop through the resistance of the orifice.

But I have no proof.

The disc narrows the pipe diameter to effectively LIMIT the pressure to the FRPS. As long as the pressure is limited below the FRPS failure threshold there will be no detrimental effects. A capped pipe has equal pressure EVERYWHERE as you have assumed. Thus all injectors see the same pressure.

Last edited:

cobracide

Established Member
no

I will even go 1 step further, if your not blowing frps's on a regular basis dont even bother putting one in. Per KB, the original concept behind the disc was to get rid of hesitations experienced with the returnless sytems, not to prevent failures.

Maybe you have inside knowledge of why the disc was created but the purpose remains the same. To limit the pressure to the FRPS, return or returnless concept matters not as long as the disc limits the pressure to below the FRPS failure point. Which it does.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Maybe you have inside knowledge of why the disc was created but the purpose remains the same. To limit the pressure to the FRPS, return or returnless concept matters not as long as the disc limits the pressure to below the FRPS failure point. Which it does.

Not in all cases, I have heard of some failures even after installing the disc, though I can not provide any proof links and it is my understanding that they were extremely RARE occurrences.

You have not addressed the "would it alter the air fuel" question.

Does it limit pressure only above the failure point and not below?

And if so how is that possible?

If it limits pressure wouldn't it limit pressure across the board?

Or is it large enough that under a certain point it poses no restriction so it does not alter the pressure reading?
(this is what I suspect)

Last edited:

cobracide

Established Member
So will the sensor "see" less pressure than what is actually in the rail, since it is after the restriction and "tell" the PCM that less pressure is in the rail?.

I neglected to take into account the scenario of a capped pipe with a returness system. In this case the pressure remains the same throughout the system. FRPS failures are accounted for by instantanious pressure spikes.

See above - A capped pipe system sees the same pressure everywhere.

Same pressure everywhere in a closed system.

Absolutely not, the resistor again limits the fuel flow spikes that are above the frps operating threshold. Remember that the PCM regulates the fuel pressure and it is the same throughout a returnless fuel system. The disc just protects against abnormal spikes.

But I have no proof.

Last edited:

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Thank you for attempting to clear this up.

If it limits pressure wouldn't it limit pressure across the board?

Or is it large enough that under a certain (pressure)/point it poses no restriction so it does not alter the pressure reading?
(this is what I suspect)

I believe I may be correct with the above understanding?

IE: That there is no delta(difference) below a certain pressure?

cobracide

Established Member
In the normal returnless system the fuel pressure remains constant so there should be no need for a pressure disc. Reality tells us that there are abnormalities that occur in the system where the fuel pressure spikes and exceeds the frps capacity. The disc merely limits that pressure to a threshold that will not destroy it. Sorry for not being so clear in earlier posts.

cobracide

Established Member
I've corrected my error in post #10 for clarification. Thanks for the help Jimmy, I very much respect your knowledge on our Cobras!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread