Turbo went bad with only 600 miles

Grey03Cobra

Established Member
I noticed a bit of smoking on startup and when I checked my oil I was nearly 2 quarts low from when I changed my oil about 200 miles ago:eek:

I had everything checked out, no oil in my PCV system, and no oil leaks. When the turbo was pulled there was a bit of play with the wheel, so it appears the seal ended up going south and I've been sending oil into the motor. I also noticed a bunch of oil in my air intake (the pipe that connects the turbo to the air filter).

I contacted UPR where I purchased the turbo and they have been awesome. The turbo has been sent back for warranty reair/replacement.

I run around on the street at 16psi and haven't really beat on the car too much since I had been breaking in the new motor. I guess it was just one of those things that happens sometimes.

It kind of sucks because I deploy again in a month and I was hoping for some fun times this summer with the turbo, now I will be lucky to get the car back before I leave.:cryying:

blowngt

Established Member
Sorry, off topic.....

Did it smoke on cold and warm start up??

How about on decel? Did it smoke also???

Just curious because I'm getting some smoke also and one of the turbo's started making a "squeeking" noise...

MaximumVelocity

Mod motor convert
Established Member
Turbos go bad usually do to lack of oil (obstructed feed line or low oil pressure), oil foaming (poor oil drain), oil coking (cheap, thin oil or lack of idling before shutdown) or compressor shudder/ surge (BOV too tight, overboost). Check these issues before you hose another turbo.

Grey03Cobra

Established Member
Turbos go bad usually do to lack of oil (obstructed feed line or low oil pressure), oil foaming (poor oil drain), oil coking (cheap, thin oil or lack of idling before shutdown) or compressor shudder/ surge (BOV too tight, overboost). Check these issues before you hose another turbo.

Well, I doubt it was lack of oil pressure since it appears the turbo was getting plenty. I use Mobil 1 synthetic, so I doubt it was the oil. Everything else checked out fine. However, there was a bit of play within the turbo itself, which shouldn't be there. Regardless, I will find out soon since the turbo has been shipped back for inspection.

Modular Racing

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
However, there was a bit of play within the turbo itself, which shouldn't be there. .

This is not true, all bearing and non ball bearing Turbo's (all brands) have some clearance/play so this was not your problem (unless the play was excessive) both the turbos on our racecar (produced by Garrett) are ball bearing and both have endplay, we also checked the two brand new spares and they are the same. The Exhaust seal is more than likely your problem (they are a metal ring type seal), if the problem was the compressor side you will see oil in the discharge tube/intercooler.

Hope this info helps, let us know how we can help!

7.jpg

MaximumVelocity

Mod motor convert
Established Member
This is not true, all bearing and non ball bearing Turbo's (all brands) have some clearance/play so this was not your problem (unless the play was excessive) both the turbos on our racecar (produced by Garrett) are ball bearing and both have endplay, we also checked the two brand new spares and they are the same.

+1, there's going to be some shaft play that disappears when there is oil flowing through the CHRA, but there should NEVER be lateral shaft play ( if you pull on the shaft and it moves in and out away from the bearing)

But too much oil volume will cause problems too.

TRBO VNM

2,000 miles on mine....I think you are the 4rth guy to blow a turbo with a hellion kit on this board in the past 4 months. I guess they need to add an oil restricter.

4 out of how many kits? I will mention something to Hellion, but at first glance I would say it is more the turbo manufacturer than the kit design. if there were a lot more failures, then I would agree with you. keep in mind, hellion has the same basic kit design for all the 96-04 cars. so there are hundreds of kits out there. turbonetics could have had a bad run of parts or something. who knows.

phillySVT

Bang Bang
Established Member
4 out of how many kits? I will mention something to Hellion, but at first glance I would say it is more the turbo manufacturer than the kit design. if there were a lot more failures, then I would agree with you. keep in mind, hellion has the same basic kit design for all the 96-04 cars. so there are hundreds of kits out there. turbonetics could have had a bad run of parts or something. who knows.

True....I wasn't trying to diss hellion. I think it's the Turbo's. A lot of the guys on the import boards I frequent won't touch Turbonetics cuase of the premature failures in the seals.

TRBO VNM

True....I wasn't trying to diss hellion. I think it's the Turbo's. A lot of the guys on the import boards I frequent won't touch Turbonetics cuase of the premature failures in the seals.

I know you aren't Mike. no big deal. I just don't want others to get the wrong idea. if restrictors would have been required, I am sure they would have been included from the beginning. although, if people have built motors and high volume/flow oil pumps, they need to make hellion or the hellion dealer/distributor aware of this because in that case, a restrictor may be warranted.

I have heard about these import boards and what they are saying. i know I had mine for 14k miles and never had a problem. I know of many customers without problems as well. the problem with the internet as we all know, if one person has an issue or even a select handful, people will take that as god and run with it and so then everyone else starts believing the same thing.

on my next kit, I may opt for precision for the simple fact of supporting more power, but I do wonder about their warranties. I know turbonetics warranty is top notch.

geeteego

What???
Established Member
I noticed a bit of smoking on startup and when I checked my oil I was nearly 2 quarts low from when I changed my oil about 200 miles ago:eek:

I had everything checked out, no oil in my PCV system, and no oil leaks. When the turbo was pulled there was a bit of play with the wheel, so it appears the seal ended up going south and I've been sending oil into the motor. I also noticed a bunch of oil in my air intake (the pipe that connects the turbo to the air filter).

I contacted UPR where I purchased the turbo and they have been awesome. The turbo has been sent back for warranty reair/replacement.

I run around on the street at 16psi and haven't really beat on the car too much since I had been breaking in the new motor. I guess it was just one of those things that happens sometimes.

It kind of sucks because I deploy again in a month and I was hoping for some fun times this summer with the turbo, now I will be lucky to get the car back before I leave.:cryying:

I don't know why I thought you had a PT76GTS like me...I'm on my 2nd. Just pulled the damn thing off to send out. I hate downtime.

Grey03Cobra

Established Member
This is not true, all bearing and non ball bearing Turbo's (all brands) have some clearance/play so this was not your problem (unless the play was excessive) both the turbos on our racecar (produced by Garrett) are ball bearing and both have endplay, we also checked the two brand new spares and they are the same. The Exhaust seal is more than likely your problem (they are a metal ring type seal), if the problem was the compressor side you will see oil in the discharge tube/intercooler.

Hope this info helps, let us know how we can help!

7.jpg

Great info, thanks. I believe the play was a bit excessive. Either way it will soon be diagnosed.

Grey03Cobra

Established Member
+1, there's going to be some shaft play that disappears when there is oil flowing through the CHRA, but there should NEVER be lateral shaft play ( if you pull on the shaft and it moves in and out away from the bearing)

But too much oil volume will cause problems too.

That was the type of play it had, lateral play which, was the reason the turbo was using so much oil (according to the shop working on my car), apparently the play was causing the seal to fail.

19COBRA93

Tire shredder
Established Member
the problem with the internet as we all know, if one person has an issue or even a select handful, people will take that as god and run with it and so then everyone else starts believing the same thing.
I can't agree more. I see it all the time, especially on this board, people upgrading stuff they don't need to upgrade because someone on the internet broke theirs.

And for the newer turbo peeps, turbo seals don't "blow", they simply wear out for one reason or another. It's basically a tiny metal piston ring. No "seals" in the traditional sense.

phillySVT

Bang Bang
Established Member
I can't agree more. I see it all the time, especially on this board, people upgrading stuff they don't need to upgrade because someone on the internet broke theirs.

And for the newer turbo peeps, turbo seals don't "blow", they simply wear out for one reason or another. It's basically a tiny metal piston ring. No "seals" in the traditional sense.

Thats nice and all...but everytime I read about one failing with low milage the name starts with a T....I don't see tons of Precision/bullseye users posting how their turbo's went after 1,000 street mile. I know it's a metal piston ring but when it fails everyone states it "blew". Hence the wording in the post. Should we write "my metal piston ring wore out"?

PS How many guys on here running Turbonetics 76's? How many have failed with little mileage? Maybe I'm just salty cuase mine went....but I heard they were junk way before I bought one and now I know they are. I don't fault the kit. But I will not buy another Turbonetics after hearing of premature failure for years and then experiencing it on mine. Blame it on the internet but they are crap in my book. I don't care if they warrenty it....i shouldn't be wasting the down time with it off.
PSS....Sorry for the rant.....15hours at work will do that to me........anyone want to buy a blown T76 BB ...LOL?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread