'00 R Brembo front rotors - thickness?

Andy M

Established Member
Guys,

what is the stock thickness on a stock one piece Brembo rotor on the 2000 R? and can such a rotor be turned?

I've sold my original set of front rotors to a friend and the knuckleheads at the Autozone said they were too thin to turn? huh? Those things had only maybe 1000 or so miles and no track time when I replaced them with the two piece rotors. They still look like new. :shrug:

b4409

Established Member
I think it's 1.1 in front and .71 in back - this MIGHT be closer to min thickness than typical new dimensions as I recall another 25 thou in there up front. I think you may find that the typical slots in rotors are machined down to the minimum thickness and can therefore be used as a wear guide. Unless you have some bad grooves, I'd just run some sandpaper over them to clean them up and go. Why would you turn them anyway?

Whitehorse

Gearhead
Established Member
The minimum spec might be stamped inside the rotor hat.

If the shop was looking at their one size fits all spec book the R rotors are probably a different thickness from the regular Cobra rotor.

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Andy:

1.100" is the original thickness spec for the rotor. I wouldn't turn them unless they are just for street duty? The min thickness should be stamped on the circumference of the outer edge where the Brembo logo and lettering appear?

:thumbsup: :coolman: :beer:

'03 Sonic Blue

"So blue you can hear it"
Established Member
The original equipment Brembo rotors on my '03 Cobra were stamped 28mm min thickness. Guess what? They were 28mm from the factory. The newer replacement Brembos are stamped 26.4mm min thickness. The repair manual says the minimum thickness to machine the front rotors is 27mm and the minimum thickness is 26.4mm.

I concur with Bruce. I would only have them faced for street duty, and really would not bother with that since you can buy non-Brembo new rotors off ebay for around $40/set.

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
The 00R and 03/04 have the exact same rotors. My track set with 00R calipers is from Tire Rack and they were only around 62/rotor for Brembo brand and stamped rotors. I would never turn them down even for street they are to easy to warp after being turned I speak from experience.

NJ2000R

Certified FORD Fanatic!
Established Member
toofast4u said:
The 00R and 03/04 have the exact same rotors. My track set with 00R calipers is from Tire Rack and they were only around 62/rotor for Brembo brand and stamped rotors. I would never turn them down even for street they are to easy to warp after being turned I speak from experience.

94-04 cobra rotors including 93R, 95R, and 00R, are all the same....

ditto on them not worth being turned....I had bad experiences every time with chatter after turning....I get 2-3 pad changes out of a set of rotors, then off to the scrap yard they go....

oh yeah, they make good dock anchors too :idea: ;-)

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
NJ2000R said:
94-04 cobra rotors including 93R, 95R, and 00R, are all the same....

The reason I didn't include the earlier ones is they were the same size, but not made by Brembo. I believe Ford went to Brembo branded in 99, but am not sure.

Users who are viewing this thread