'00 R Coolant Flush and Fill Suggestions

84venom

Established Member
It's probably long overdue, so I want to drain, flush, and add fresh coolant to my '00 R. What's the best way to drain/ refill the coolant? Thanks for any suggestions!

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Pour in some Motorcraft VC-1, then run it for a day or two (couple hours). Make sure to run the heat as well to clean the heater core. If there's not a petcock on the rad, pull the lower hose. Drain as much as possible then fill with distilled water. Bring it full operating temperature then drain again. Repeat until what's running out is clear. Finally fill the car with the coolant of your choice (I suggest Rotella Ultra ELC). If you have a Rad-Vac tool use it to eliminate and trapped air in the system.

84venom

Established Member
Thanks! You wouldn't happen to know where to get all new hoses from????

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
Best bet is take the hoses off and go to a local auto parts store and ask kindly if you can go dig through their hose selection. You can probably find hoses that work from their inventory. If you do it, report back with the brand, part number and what hose it replaced for future help.

Philcsag did that on the 95R many years ago and it was a very useful thread.

Tom

84venom

Established Member
Best bet is take the hoses off and go to a local auto parts store and ask kindly if you can go dig through their hose selection. You can probably find hoses that work from their inventory. If you do it, report back with the brand, part number and what hose it replaced for future help.

Philcsag did that on the 95R many years ago and it was a very useful thread.

Tom

Will do. These cars are 16 years old now! I'm starting to get concerned about hose failures....

Goose17

I have a major ego, and need attention.
Established Member
Will do. These cars are 16 years old now! I'm starting to get concerned about hose failures....

No need to worry. My 93 Cobra is all original (including the hoses) and all is well. The hoses will last a long, long time.

nmp1

Established Member
i replaced my coolant today, it was pretty easy.

-removed the hoses from the thermostat housing and let it drain
-flushed it with the garden hose
-used the shop vac blower to push excess water out by pushing air down through the cap on the cross over tube
-put the hoses back in place and filled from the cross over tube cap with 50/50 mix using distilled water
-once filled i put the cap back and filled from the degas bottle, i jacked up the front corner of the car to help get all the air out

the hoses seem to still be in good shape so im not worried. they are old but have very few heat cycles on them. ill keep an eye on the coolant level but i dont think there are too many bubbles in the system. the old coolant was a darker green but there wasnt any junk in it.

i changed the power steering fluid too. pretty easy as well, i drained it from the cooler and it took less then a quart

Users who are viewing this thread