'00R Newbie Questions

OrigTXCobra

Mustang Nut!
Established Member
Sorry for the dumb questions here in advance...I am making use of the search function where possible.

Did this car come with a Diff cooler and if not, is this a common mod?
How about a Diff Brace, there is a Kenny Brown brace on there now, I suspect it was added later but I am not sure.

Last one. This car feels very tight and runs and drives great. My only complaint is a little play in the steering wheel where you can move the wheel about an inch from side to side with no resistance. Once you pass that inch, it is very tight and responsive. It also is well aligned and points straight. Could this be a bushing in the steering rack? Is this common?

Thanks guys in advance!!

cobra186

Stang Trader
Established Member
'00R's did not come factory with a diff cooler. Ford Motorsport offered a diff. cooler kit that could be added after purchase.

The diff. cooler is highly recommended if you are going to open track the car on a regular basis. If you are just street driving or going to a couple events a year, I see no real reason to spend the money or hack up your car with one.

They did not come with a diff. brace from the factory either. It is a common modification on IRS mustangs though and many versions are offered through the aftermarket.

The steering should be tight with basically no play at all. I suspect your rack&pinion is worn and has caused the play in the steering. With the wide tires & some miles on the car the rack will wear more rapidly than a stock mustang w/narrow tires. The only other culprits would be the "rag joint" in the steering shaft or some very loose tie rod ends... but I doubt them since you said the car tracks nice & straight.

Last edited:

OrigTXCobra

Mustang Nut!
Established Member
Thanks Daryl. It does not have a diff cooler but for some reason I thought it was supposed to...so I am good there.

It doesn't feel like tie rod ends so it sounds like the rack. Man, that is gonna be expensive. I assume that was unique to the Cobra R huh? Any idea how I should go about getting parts?

Thought of another one. Where can I get the brake duct hose that is the same as the factory stuff?

Last edited:

NJ2000R

Certified FORD Fanatic!
Established Member
I bet the steering play is in the shaft, not the rack....I replaced my stock unit with a flaming river shaft, better, but still slop, and getting worse with more track driving....some of the other guys installed borgeson units with much better success....

Blown V8

Steering shaft is the issue!

I had the exact same thing happen on my car about two years ago regarding the steering. You just described the problem to a "TEE!" My problem developed while cruising around in mid-90 degree temperatures for hours upon hours up at the Woodward Dream Cruise. The engine compartment, and, more importantly, the steering shaft, got so heat soaked that the plastic liner (bushing?) within the collapsible steering shaft actually melted away. The collapsible portion of the shaft is buffered/insulated by a piece of what appears to be injection moulded plastic. When the shaft, (which is too close in proximity to the LH header tube) gets heated up, the plastic insulator melts away. play and metal to metal shaft tolerance occurs. After I would park my car for an hour or so, what was left of the plastic would cool off, and the steering would tighten up a bit. But, there was still the one inch of play you describe in the wheel. There was also a bit of "give" or "notchiness" and then the steering feels completely normal. But the give, especially in a turn, or something was a bit un-nerving!

I ended up locating an original Cobra R Rack & Pinion (yes, they are different---different "T-BAR" and proportioning, as I recall). I installed the damn thing, only to drive away, and find the exact same problem still existed. Closer examination, and locking the steering wheel, and grabbing ahold of the steering shaft subsequently immediately showed that the problem was NOT the rack, but merely the steering shaft. I ended up selling my NOS steering rack, and bought a NOS steering shaft (2003 Cobra shaft off ebay, cheap...like $60..compared to like $250-$300 at the dealer). The 2003 cobra steering shafts are considered an upgraded shaft, so I am not sure if they removed the silly plastic inserts that tend to melt out or what. Bottom line is that when the plastic melts away as an insulater, it clearly creates the slop that you are seeing/experiencing. Don't even bother with an attempted rack replacement, I will put $100.00 on the fact that the steering shaft has gotten hot, melted away the insulator, and therefore created your "play."

As an added measure of never having to worry about this issue again, I ended up using a piece of high temp wrap tubing (approx diameter of the shaft) and I slipped this up and over the part where the plastic was located to make doubly-sure that the new one would never get hot like the original did again. Let me know if you end up finding out that this is the case! Take care, Jeremy

OrigTXCobra

Mustang Nut!
Established Member
Blown V8, Thanks!! Do you happen to know if I can somehow just replace the plastic insulator or do I have to go with the entire shaft? Thanks again, this could save me A LOT of work!

Bill Anderson

Established Member
Hello,

I had the same problem with mine, ended up replacing the rack (the 03 cobra rack is identical), better, but still sloppy, replaced the collapsable shaft and the problem went away, when I took the old shaft out, it was very loose

Blown V8

No way whatsoever to replace just the insert. I wouldn't want to try it, if it were possible, due to the fact that it is such an important, and integral part of the steering system. Just not worth the risk. I would replace it sooner, rather than later as well, as they can get quite sloppy, and possibly even dangerous. It would take a lot to have the shaft make a complete revolution within the tube, but if it did, it could mean total loss of steering. If you are racing the car, etc, this could make the problem worse (quicker) too.

Shaft is cheap, take about an hour to replace. Couple bolts under the dash, and a couple under the car. Best done on a lift (have one in the garage, so mine was simple), but could be done with jacks, I suppose.

Oddly enough, in a quick search, I didn't find any NOS (brand new) units on Ebay just now. There are some Fox body ones, and a few used ones which would work on your car, but I would buy a brand new one, if I were you. Dealer was like $250 or something, as I recall. I am sure if you aren't in a huge hurry, that someone will post one soon on Ebay. You might check with Kar Kraft in Michigan, I believe they had some as well. Might even have been where mine came from; I forget!

Email me with any questions...Jeremy [email protected]

Users who are viewing this thread