00R street tire advice

NJ2000R

Certified FORD Fanatic!
Established Member
hey guys, i know a few of you have 2 sets of tires for your 00R....well, i just purchased a set of 00R rims in CHROME and i'd like to get a set of street tires, and keep the stock tires and wheels for the track....the chrome really looks sharp....i cant wait to see them on the car! :coolman: :coolman: :coolman: :coolman:

svtguy

Established Member
Bridgestone Expedia SO-1. These tires are directional and left, right side specific. They are a hard compound tire. They work real well for street use. No grabby, darty steering and they don't pick up all the road debris and throw it up into the wheel wells. Works out great having 2 sets of wheels and tires.

Paul

Cobra-R

Established Member
Originally posted by svtguy
Bridgestone Expedia SO-1. These tires are directional and left, right side specific. They are a hard compound tire. They work real well for street use. No grabby, darty steering and they don't pick up all the road debris and throw it up into the wheel wells. Works out great having 2 sets of wheels and tires.

Paul

I agree with Paul 100%. I have the same tires and am very happy with them for street use. I also have BF Goodrich KDW's on my 01 Cobra and have been satisfied with them with the limited miles I have on them so far.

Brian

95rcobra

Hey Ken,
I agree with everyone that the Bridgestones are the way to go on the 2000R. But are the expedia S-01's the only Bridegestone tire that you can put on the 2000R. I looked at the Potenza S-03 pole position Bridgestone tire and it is in the Max performance section at Tire Rack where the S-01's are only in the ultra-high performance area of the site. the performance results are much better on the S-03 pole position tire and it is there flagship performance tire but does it work on the 2000R. you can get the 275-40-18 Potenza S-03 pole position tires for $256 each at Tire Rack. the Expedia S-01's in the 265-40-18 Cobra R size are $296 each at Tire Rack. I run the Firestone SZ-50 EP tires that have the same UNI-T tech as the bridgestones and they are rated the best tire in the Ultra high performance category of the Tire Racks performance tire testing results. I have them on a set of Chrome R's for my 95 and they are awesome performance tires. they blow away the stock 95R BFG tire in every area. If anyone would like to see these test results got to www.tirerack.com then click on tires on the top of the site and go into the area on the bottom right that says browse by performance category. it will break down the best performers in the Max and Ultra highperformance categories. Good luck and Happy motoRRRing. later 95rcobra.

95rcobra

One thing I left out is that you will have to go into the customer survey results section once you get in to the Max or Ultra high performance browse categories. sorry, 95rcobra.

Andy M

Established Member
I have a set of the BFG KDW tires on my R when I am not on the track. I bought a set of R (OEM) rims with the KDWs already mounted from TireRack a while back.

I have been happy with their performance thus far. They look great and will certainly last alot longer than the KDs for street use.

Cobra-R

Established Member
Originally posted by 95rcobra
Hey Ken,
. you can get the 275-40-18 Potenza S-03 pole position tires for $256 each at Tire Rack. the Expedia S-01's in the 265-40-18 Cobra R size are $296 each at Tire Rack. later 95rcobra.

I believe the 275 tires are to wide for the R and you can experience rubbing in some conditions. Kevin has tried 275 and had the problem. Just for your information.

Brian

NJ2000R

Certified FORD Fanatic!
Established Member
Steve, I would think the SO-3 (max perf) tires would be more like the stock KD's....very sticky....so, I'm trying to decide between the KDW's and the SO-1's, but I'm leaning toward the KDW's, only because I've had the best luck with BFG tires....decisions, decisions....:eek:

Andy M

Established Member
Originally posted by NJ2000R
Steve, I would think the SO-3 (max perf) tires would be more like the stock KD's....very sticky....so, I'm trying to decide between the KDW's and the SO-1's, but I'm leaning toward the KDW's, only because I've had the best luck with BFG tires....decisions, decisions....:eek:
Ken, while the SO-3's are certainly great tires, I really like the KDW's! They have a very good tread design, look great on the rims, and handle reasonably well - for street tires that is. Either way however, you should be satisfied with the results. Ultimately, both of these tires will last much better on the car for street use.

Cobra-R

Established Member
Originally posted by XLR8-R
I have had no rubbing with 275s on my car. (BFGs)

Carter

I think the problem was with heavy breaking and turning at the same time and the suspension was compressed. We would have to ask Kevin the specifics, but I know he had a problem with the 275's.

Brian

NJ2000R

Certified FORD Fanatic!
Established Member
Brian,

Did you say 'braking' or 'breaking'???

hehehe....its been a while since anyone's done some good ole fashioned razzing in here.... :D :D :D :D :D

Cobra-R

Established Member
Originally posted by NJ2000R
Brian,

Did you say 'braking' or 'breaking'???

hehehe....its been a while since anyone's done some good ole fashioned razzing in here.... :D :D :D :D :D

Sorry, but when I refer to Kevin I am so used to using the word breaking in that form because it is so much more typical of him. Woops, please forgive me. :p :p :p :p

Andy M

Established Member
ROFL LMAO!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Alrighty then!! Let the games begin!!

Kevin, you gonna stand for this man? You need to come out of hibernation....

TcM-668

Has anyone had any experience with Nitto 555s on their car...

I have a 275x40x17s on my 93 LX, and they wear really well, and the traction is pretty good too...

They have a 275x40x18 that is ZRated...of course scrubbing might be an issue...

Just curious...I bought a set of KDs(what a goat rope to buy those) and they don't last for squat on the road...I gotta get soem other tires quick...

Thanks...

Don ...

Cobra-R

Established Member
Originally posted by Andy M
ROFL LMAO!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Kevin, you gonna stand for this man? You need to come out of hibernation....

He doesn't have any choice to "stand" for this. Untill he proves to us otherwise, he will continue to be the "jackstand King" :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p

Cobra-R

Established Member
Originally posted by TcM-668
Has anyone had any experience with Nitto 555s on their car...

I have a 275x40x17s on my 93 LX, and they wear really well, and the traction is pretty good too...

They have a 275x40x18 that is ZRated...of course scrubbing might be an issue...

Just curious...I bought a set of KDs(what a goat rope to buy those) and they don't last for squat on the road...I gotta get soem other tires quick...

Thanks...

Don ...

Sorry don, can't be much help on those. Might want to check some Mustang boards, I have seen them discussed elsewhere, I just can't remember where. Anyone else got any experience with these?

95rcobra

Hey Ken,
I hear what your are saying about the BFG's but when I think about sticky tires I am thinking more of something like the BFG R1's which I had on a 93 cobra with a set of chrome 93 wheels. they had a treadwear rating of 60. they were the best handling tire I have ever had on a vehicle. Had to be the hardest sidewall I have ever seen on a tire. when they mounted them 2 guys had to get on them to twist the tires on the rims. I feel that any tire over a 200 treadwear will give you more than sufficent wear for the street. the SZ-50's that I run on my 95R rate a 340 for treadwear and they handle awesome. the stock BFG comp zr's just cant touch these tires and the car feels like a much different car with these tires on them. you have an awesome vehicle there in the 2000 R and I would try to get the best tire for the money to bring out the 00R's handling qualities. just my .02 Thanks. later Steve C.

Users who are viewing this thread