01' Cobra Crank but will not start

Keifer73

Good afternoon all,

After reading up and doing some of my own research just wanted to reach out to this group and see if anyone can point me in the right direction. I have a 2001 Cobra with a V1 Vortech Supercharger 8lbs a boost set up. I got tired of the oil getting all over the top of the engine with the valve cover filter the previous owner had put on the car so I thought I would put in a JLT oil separator to fix this small issue. Long story short on my way back from a trip the car stalled out and would restart at all. Come to find out I made a mistake and routed the outlet line from the oil separator to the cold air intake before the supercharger. I have cleaned the air intake, SCT sensor and filter. I took off the V1 supercharger and found nothing wrong with the unit.
With all of that being completed the car just cranks and will not run. Just trying to figure out what to do next? Take off the manifold and look at the fuel injectors to make sure they aren't clogged? Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!

01yellercobra

Established Member
The oil wouldn't get to the injectors that way. I'm not a fan of the JLT stuff, but I doubt that's your problem here. The first thing I'd do is check for fuel pressure. I'm thinking your pump gave up the ghost.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
post a pic of the engine bay as you had it if possible

When you say SCT sensor I assume you mean the MAF - what did you clean it with? The ONLY thing you can use is MAF cleaner. Even if the MAF got coated in oil, unless it shorted it out it should just run really, really bad. If you unplug the electrical connector on the MAF does the car run? That would tell you failed MAF or not.

I agree that it sounds coincidental and may have lost the fuel pump. Make sure the inertia switch in the trunk didn't trip (just try pressing it down). If you aren't getting anything weird on the dash like dashes on the odometer then turn the key to run position and see if you can hear the fuel pump. From the rear of the car you can unhook the connector to the fuel pump - on the chassis side with either a volt meter or test light see if you get power to the connector when someone turns the key forward (you only get power for a few seconds).

if you have a scan tool of any kind you can also just look at fuel pressure

Badaz01

Established Member
I had a weak battery give me fits like that as well. The car would crank but not enough for it to fire. Hooked the battery up to jumper cables on my wife’s jeep and wala. Or as mentioned check the fuel pump. Turn the ignition to the on position and kneel down behind the car to see if you hear a hum sound. If not it’s the pump or as also stated already the inertia switch drivers side behind the trunk carpet.

Keifer73

Thanks for the suggestions and I will the check on the MAF sensor to see if unplugging it will let it crank over. My fuel pump turns on as soon as I turn the key to start the vehicle. The inertia switched I checked early on since my son had an issue with his car. I'm getting fuel to the rail but I will get a pressure gauge to measure it. Do you guys know what the normal pressure should be?

robvas

Established Member
I'm guessing some hose, sensor, or clamp fell off somewhere along the line of taking stuff apart to put the catch can on.

Does it sound like it's going to start if you give it some gas when cranking?

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
Thanks for the suggestions and I will the check on the MAF sensor to see if unplugging it will let it crank over. My fuel pump turns on as soon as I turn the key to start the vehicle. The inertia switched I checked early on since my son had an issue with his car. I'm getting fuel to the rail but I will get a pressure gauge to measure it. Do you guys know what the normal pressure should be?

35-40 comes to mind, honestly if you know 100% that the pump(s) are running and you have fuel at the rail my first guess is that it's something else.

Badaz01

Established Member
My car is usually around 35 psi. That’s on a return system with two 255 lph pumps though. That’s with them running with no throttle.

Badaz01

Established Member
Oh and don’t forget that battery. Like I mentioned my car gave me fits one time because my cranking volts were just at 9.8 to 10 volts. Had to get it jumped then of course went out and bought a new one. That bad battery let me crank the car like it was gonna start to just not enough umph I guess

hotcobra03

Established Member
Check engine sensor fuse, and the rest while in there and in car , no power to coils or injectors will do this and still crank

Theft light flashing while cranking?

After market car alarm,,got me on my 03. Crank no start unplugged alarm and it fired.

hotcobra03

Established Member
Reason for fuse. I think you have noise suppressor on back of heads, 03 does

This are something that gets forgotten and will short fuse if touching metal ,clip broken off connection and bare metal ,or un plugged and connection touching metal.

Not sure if your work was near these,,

Users who are viewing this thread