01 Cobra...school me please on mods to get 700 hp

VtekII

Established Member
i think you need to go drive a 500 rwhp cobra.. and decide if you really want more than that... anything over that and traction is pretty tough... so why push an engine to its limits when it cant hook. 500-550 is ALOT of power... just think about it my brotha.

notchstang92

Spoolin'
Established Member
1) Put "For Sale" sign in window of 01 cobra.

2) Buy a shelby Gt500 and start modding.

All joking aside...its sad but it might actually be cheaper to go this way....

I know this is an old post, but he is right. Now with the prices and what your power goals would cost you are better off selling your car and getting a GT500.

If a GT500 is out of your range then pick up an 03/04 cobra. They can hold some good power w/o having to rebuild the lower end and the stock 03/04 heads are better flowing than the stock 99-01 heads.

If you choose to build your car then keep your block and crank because that will save you some money and they will more than handle your power goals. You would need your heads ported and that can cost more than the shortblock in some cases.

Daron

Mean01
Established Member
built bottom end . injectors, turbo kit. clutch. maff. what else. better spark plugs and also a helmet

ibleedblue65

Established Member
If you have a teksid block you can get there with a bottom end and a lot of air. Good set of manley h beams, good dish forged piston (je), and studs. Turbo would be the way to go for the higher end of your goals but I would prefer a pd blower for the street.

Last edited:

BlackVenom99

Established Member
If an s trim is doing 600rwhp then I would hope a t trim could do better. If all you're doing is slapping a blower on a "built engine" aka a built shortblock then no you won't get the most out of your combination.

Can I say for sure with alky and a race tune that a t-trim on a ported heads/cams combo can or can't make 700rwhp no...but it'll be darn close if not.

Btw: You're responding to someone who posted 2 years prior...

Brutal Metal

Established Member
I know the thread is old but 700 with a T requires more than forged rods and pistons.
And what combo S-trims are making 600?

BlackVenom99

Established Member
"the t-trim is a very capable blower... i had a customer who went 156-157mph with a powerglide and t-trim @ 3270lbs... we made a little over 800rwhp through that powerglide too... " Quoted from flyin_hawaiin: aka Bob Kurgan of Kurgan motorsports...
This was probably a pushrod motor so somewhat irrelevant. But unless it was a really big cube motor it shouldn't make such a massive difference of 200rwhp through a powerglide no less.

And as for combos capable of running 600rwhp with an s trim, maybe you should consult threads such as this one:
http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...e-think-v2-s-trim-can-break-600rwhp-mark.html
With posters stating: "600rwhp was already done about 8-10yrs ago on a stock b-head cobra."

I know I'm not going to find you specific threads all over the internet of well built cars hitting these hp goals. As stated in my post HEADS/CAMS ALKY RACE TUNE...I specifically stated that it was not a goal to be achieved on a regular basis using "built engines" aka nothing more then a built shortblock.

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
It will take a lot of boost to make 700rwhp on a T-trim.. I'm spinning the blower to max effieciency right now and I make 650rwhp on 18psi.. I could over spin it and hit 700 I'm sure on race gas.. But you're better off with a JT trim.

BlackVenom99

Established Member
It will take a lot of boost to make 700rwhp on a T-trim.. I'm spinning the blower to max effieciency right now and I make 650rwhp on 18psi.. I could over spin it and hit 700 I'm sure on race gas.. But you're better off with a JT trim.

No Doubt, and I believe that'll be your next mod. I'm just stating that it's possible.
For some reason people will exclude hp goals reached by over spinning the blower.
Simple question is (can you do it). (yes)
More complicated question is (can you do it and have long term reliability as a daily driver on pump gas 93).(no)

If it's spelled out in plain engrish or spainglish will it be easier for people to understand that being capable doesn't make it daily driver capable, and how can we explain that even though it's not capable for a daily driver it is still capable of being achieved...? (sarcastic question)

98 Saleen Cobra: If you were looking to max out that t-trim on race gas you'd also have something more along the lines of a 10.5:1 motor instead of 8.5:1 right?

fangs99

Established Member
Who ever said you don't need more than 550 rwhp hasn't been in a 630rwhp cobra.... Yea it spins in first and most of second.... But... 3rd and 4th... More than get the job done.... But now ( after a week) I'm ready for 750rwhp...

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
No Doubt, and I believe that'll be your next mod. I'm just stating that it's possible.
For some reason people will exclude hp goals reached by over spinning the blower.
Simple question is (can you do it). (yes)
More complicated question is (can you do it and have long term reliability as a daily driver on pump gas 93).(no)

If it's spelled out in plain engrish or spainglish will it be easier for people to understand that being capable doesn't make it daily driver capable, and how can we explain that even though it's not capable for a daily driver it is still capable of being achieved...? (sarcastic question)

98 Saleen Cobra: If you were looking to max out that t-trim on race gas you'd also have something more along the lines of a 10.5:1 motor instead of 8.5:1 right?

Oh my T-trim is already maxxed out RPM wise and I'm at 8:6.1 compression. Making 650rwhp STD, this is on pump 93.. I could overspin it as I have a pulley for around 22psi and use 104 octane to reach 700 but I'm good right now..

You are correct a JT-trim is my next upgrade for power. But I will fully utilize that blower as I'll be going E85 when I do.. Everyone who owns a vortech on these cars can agree that a pulley swap is far from easy like it is on a whipple or kb.. One thing that I hate about Centri blowers.. I'm sure people who have done it countless times will say otherwise though. I like the lower compression though as I run 91 and 93 in my car since I move every 4 years.. A bump in compression isn't worth a motor imo..

Who ever said you don't need more than 550 rwhp hasn't been in a 630rwhp cobra.... Yea it spins in first and most of second.... But... 3rd and 4th... More than get the job done.... But now ( after a week) I'm ready for 750rwhp...

THIS right here is truth.. 4.10's and 650rwhp is fun that's for sure. 3rd and 4th gear pulls are a ton of fun.. This is on a street tire too. With a DR or something stickier I'd for sure have traction in 2nd.. To be honest though if I go with more HP down the road I'm stepping from 4.10's down to 3.73's..

Brutal Metal

Established Member
THIS!! Not in this to argue Venom but a 400RW increase over NA takes some doing, yeah it's been accomplished BUT real world every day guys slapping a T Trim blower on a 4V 700 is a lofty goal, low to mid 600's Sure!:rockon:

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
^^ Yea I forgot to add that I'm a big bore motor too.. The T-trim is a great all around blower.. Perfect for a setup that wants 600rwhp.. You start to push the 700rwhp envelope it'll get there just with a lot of work..

Think of it like this.. the T-trim is like whipple 2.3.. It'll get you to 600rwhp easily for the most part on 18psi.. It'll make 650 on race gas, hell it'll make close to 700rwhp on a fully built setup.. BUT at that point

A whipple 2.9L or a JT-trim in our case will get you there without creating the heat and spinning it as hard. ;)

ON the flipside.. IF you have a ton of compression 10.1 or more there is no need for a JT trim because you won't be spinning the blower as hard to make the numbers that you are looking for ;)

BlackVenom99

Established Member
^^ Yea I forgot to add that I'm a big bore motor too.. The T-trim is a great all around blower.. Perfect for a setup that wants 600rwhp.. You start to push the 700rwhp envelope it'll get there just with a lot of work..

Think of it like this.. the T-trim is like whipple 2.3.. It'll get you to 600rwhp easily for the most part on 18psi.. It'll make 650 on race gas, hell it'll make close to 700rwhp on a fully built setup.. BUT at that point

A whipple 2.9L or a JT-trim in our case will get you there without creating the heat and spinning it as hard. ;)

ON the flipside.. IF you have a ton of compression 10.1 or more there is no need for a JT trim because you won't be spinning the blower as hard to make the numbers that you are looking for ;)

Nicely stated,
I've seen a new 5.0 gt with a Procharger D1SC making 800rwhp with alky injection(Local tampa guy). That D1sc is slightly smaller then the JT-Trim...I'm interested to see if you'll push that "little" jt-trim.:-D

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
Yea the new GTs respond amazingly to boost that's for sure. I won't be doing the JT trim upgrade soon though. Probably not for a couple years maybe. Unless something comes up where I need to. I just need to remember to enjoy the car. Where I'm at now is nothing like in CA where there are cars everywhere and there is always someone to run.. In the last 7 months I've raced 1 person in AL lol.. I've only gone WOT in my car a handful times for that matter. But I do plan on getting one and pushing it hard with E85 :beer:

1badblownstang

juiced snake
Established Member
Not to mention when you get to that 600-700 point there are so many upgrades that go along with that power. For every one guy that says his stock rear, stock trans, stock clutch etc. lived with boost, there are 10 guys that broke all of those items and more.

Budget builds rarely last, high hp cost money.

Users who are viewing this thread