01 Cobra vs 08 GT vs 04 Mach 1

JDrake

Established Member
So my buddy has a 2008 Mustang GT and he just got his 4.10s in it and wanted to see how it would fare against my 2001 Cobra, as always I was game but i thought a 3-wide race would be even more fun, so i asked my roomate if he wanted to join. He has a 2004 Mach 1. so we jump on the highway and get over to the right to let the last couple cars go by us. I noticed one was a fairly new 350z (it had the buldge in the hood) fly by us. so i figured i could use a warm up. i chased him down and downshifted to 3rd at around 65mph. he took off and i waited to give him about a 1/2 car til i slammed the throttle and blew by him. i shut down at the end of third with bus lengths on him and he did the mandatory ricer flyby.

Anyways, back to the race at hand.
Mods:
Cobra: full exhaust, intake, tune, 12.8@110
Mach 1: full exhaust, intake, tune, throttle body, alum. driveshaft, nitto 555r,13.1@109
GT: slp cb, inake, tune, 4.10s, auto, 13.1@106 (gears shaved .4 off)

The gt was in the middle between my cobra and my roomates mach. i wanted us on the outside bc our cars are damn near identical from a roll. 1st race i honk it off at a 40 roll. surprisingly, the gt stayed right with us thru all of 2nd gear and almost a 1/3 of 3rd gear until we started to pull fairly steadily until we shut down around 135 the cobra and mach both have about 4-5 cars on the gt. we had a few more good runs all with similar outcomes. i wish we had the camera with us but it was just a spur of the moment sort of thing.

99BlownVert

Established Member
hey JDrake I ran at Zmax yesterday did I see you there? I thought I saw a black 99/01 cobra running around with a dsg mach 1

CobraKid04

Established Member
Yo OP whats up man..This is brittni's BF mike..I haven't heard form you in a while. Good kills and get it on tape I want to see that thing in action.

Grif62

Established Member
Nice job between you and the mach, next time get it on vid. Also nice numbers.

JDrake

Established Member
hey JDrake I ran at Zmax yesterday did I see you there? I thought I saw a black 99/01 cobra running around with a dsg mach 1

yeah i was there but i didnt run the cobra. i had my black 1995 mustang gt. i ran mid 14's lol. i just wanted to see what it could do. And thats me and my roomate, we live in the university area off mallard creek.

JDrake

Established Member
Yo OP whats up man..This is brittni's BF mike..I haven't heard form you in a while. Good kills and get it on tape I want to see that thing in action.

I have some vids of my mustang racing a Saab 9-3 aero, they were pretty good races. i also have vids of the cobra destroying that same car lol if you wanna see those lol

Fenixfire

Slower than ever
Established Member
I raced an 06 GT at the track several times in my 04 mach. My mach at the time was bone stock with street tires. The 06 GT had DRs, mid pipe, catback, cai, suspension mods, 4.10s and a tune. He was an auto and I was a manual.

We probly raced about 6 or 7 different times on two different track days. The outcome was always the same. I would put several cars on him every time. Even GTs with full bolt ons and gears are no match for a stock mach. At least in this scenario.

JDrake

Established Member
I raced an 06 GT at the track several times in my 04 mach. My mach at the time was bone stock with street tires. The 06 GT had DRs, mid pipe, catback, cai, suspension mods, 4.10s and a tune. He was an auto and I was a manual.

We probly raced about 6 or 7 different times on two different track days. The outcome was always the same. I would put several cars on him every time. Even GTs with full bolt ons and gears are no match for a stock mach. At least in this scenario.

This GT ran consistant 13.1@106mph on saturday at the track. what did your mach run stock?

Fenixfire

Slower than ever
Established Member
This GT ran consistant 13.1@106mph on saturday at the track. what did your mach run stock?

14.0 @ 101 mph pretty much every pass. But im at over 7200 feet above sea level density altitude. Actual track elevation is 5313 ft above sea level. That GT wont run anywhere near that time here. Pretty much all the bolt on 05+ GTs run mid 14s at this altitude. With just a mid pipe, catback and 4.10s I ran 13.52@102 mph on the same track and same DA.

Stopsign32v

Established Member
Oh BTW is anyone planning on going to Zmax this friday for test and tune?

Stopsign32v

Established Member
I went last saturday. I ran good but the track prep wasnt good at all. Idk if the cold air had something to do with it too..

I heard Zmax is ran by the people that own the Atlanta dragway. :shrug: Anyways they do not understand how to prep the track down there. They think wiping it down with a dry mop is "prep".

Anyways does anyone plan on going to the track Friday? I'd like to meet up. :banana:

JDrake

Established Member
Dude if that Mach has all those mods and only went 13.1, he needs the driver mod. I went 13.08 @ 108 with just an x pipe.

trust me, we let him know lol, well he just got that 13.1 this saturday at zmax but he said his rev limiter is said too low...??

I have to disagree that the track prep was bad, i thougt it was good, they sprayed and brought the tractor out every hour, i almost wish i brought the cobra to try to brake 12.8

Users who are viewing this thread