01 cobra vs 2000 camaro SS? who do you think would win

Kiohtee

Established Member
Power-shifting an '01 at 7k at SEA LEVEL will net 13.20's, with a great launch no less? And because of that an auto LS1 doesn't have a chance?

Bahahahahahaha! My 1998 Z28 A4 with 170k miles, at 2,200FT, ran 13.60 @ 106 or so (I really don't remember my trap) bone stock. I'd like to imagine a better maintained SS would improve that by a few tenths. You're delusional man!

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Power-shifting an '01 at 7k at SEA LEVEL will net 13.20's, with a great launch no less? And because of that an auto LS1 doesn't have a chance?

Bahahahahahaha! My 1998 Z28 A4 with 170k miles, at 2,200FT, ran 13.60 @ 106 or so (I really don't remember my trap) bone stock. I'd like to imagine a better maintained SS would improve that by a few tenths. You're delusional man!

13.1 vs 13.6 @ 103* or so you mean? You didn't run 106 in an auto at 2200ft. Delude yourself brohaus.

That's a half second, and guess what, that's cars lengths at 105~mph

My stockish 03 cobra with a cai and mufflers ran 13.6@105 on bald street tires without powershifting at 4300ft. 01 Cora's run 14.4's up here bone stock but decent driving. Z28's and ss's run 14.4-14.8 up here bone stock. Autos running slower. Decent drivers, not powershifted.

Powershifting my car when it was na 5.4 making 375whp on 2.0 60' fts (dead/old dr's, shitty track) I ran 12.9@112, 320whp z28's with lids/bolt ons run 13.3's at 106, your stock auto isn't running 106. M6's at sea level have ran 107 on kill runs in mineshafts.

Last edited:

Kiohtee

Established Member
13.1 vs 13.6 @ 103* or so you mean? You didn't run 106 in an auto at 2200ft. Delude yourself brohaus.

That's a half second, and guess what, that's cars lengths at 105~mpg

1,200ft, my bad. My best 1/8th pass was an 8.8 @ 86 and that was in 2,200ft DA, that's where my confusion was coming from. But yes, otherwise I DID run 13.6 @ 106 (give or take some on the trap, like I said, I don't remember exactly what it was). It was mid-June IIRC and it was some 70 degrees out.

Last edited:

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
A STOCK as in BONE STOCK NON GEARED, NON CAI, NONE TUNE, NONE O/R MIDPIPED, NON CATBACK 01 cobra is faster than an auto ss.

A MODDED 01 COBRA like the op's with those mods is easily faster than a stock auto ss.

Even if it was a dead tie stock to stock, which it isn't, the op is well modded and accordingly has only himself to blame if he loses, it's his race to lose. His car is faster in every way vs a stock auto 00 ss.

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
I'm going to tone it down, what options and such, any mods when you ran 106?

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Not being a jerk but maybe you've got the traps wrong on your car?

I used Wallace racings calculators to show ya I'm not picking on ya but I think you've got the traps a bit off, maybe your track's radar is optimistic?

8ary7ege.jpg

86 in the 8th comes up as 110 in the 1/4. I've seen stock 03 cobras trap 87-88 1/8ths and hit 111-112 in real life times lips from members on this site, not locally though. Altitude sucks.

This one shows that an 8.80 would be about a 13.77. That's plausible for a stock a4 ss but not very common unless the track is well prepped or the da is really low. If its terribly prepped, a 110mph car could still easily run 13.77 but it'd have to be modded for it to be an a4 ss/z28 hitting 110 so I'm guessing the track prep is not too bad where you ran that.

deqyme2u.jpg

I've seen on forums that m6 ss's can run 13.7-13.4 easily enough but I've only heard of far fewer a4's running mid 13's bone stock.

You said your car is stock with 177k miles. Are you the original owner? Maybe the previous owner did a mild few mods like mufflers. Also, if your running a better set of plugs/wires like iridium plugs, plated wires, or better oil/tranny fluid like redline or royal purple, etc that can pick up 8-12whp vs factory plugs/wires/crappy oil.

Nice running car nonetheless for 177k miles, glad it's still going strong for ya.

Last edited:

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
After looking at some graphs, depending on your diff gear in an m6 ss/z28, shifting at 5500-5750 could be a good idea, if you have a 3.07 rear, 5500 is probably too early. Aiming for 5750 will mean you'll react and hit the shift around 5900 or so and fall back in around 4900-5000rpms in the next gear which is about perfect.

If you have a 3.42? rear then 5500 is good to aim for because by the time you react/shift it'll be 5700rpms and you'll fall right back at 5k.

willys srt8

Established Member
This ones for you S8ER01Z, so I figured I'd leave it here for the haters. And this coming from a Mustang magazine article. :nonono:

01 Bullitt Article 2

About halfway through the article you will find the Camaro info.

01_Bullitt_Article2.htm

willys srt8

Established Member
For some reason I could not get the pic to work but it generally discusses how they (Muscle Mustangs and Fast Fords) were were testing the 01 Bullitt and came across another mag testing a stock LS1 SS and how the SS performed much better than the GT/Bullitt/01 Cobra with the initial runs of the SS being 12.89@108. On this day of testing it backed it up in lousy air and near full tank with a [email protected].

Last edited:

S8ER01Z

Established Member
tt335ci03cobra said:
If you have a 3.42? rear then 5500 is good to aim for because by the time you react/shift it'll be 5700rpms and you'll fall right back at 5k.

My pass was done hitting at 6k every shift... in fact I hit the limiter on my 2 to 3 and 3 to 4 shifts. Also FWIW my peak power was at 5200rpm (324rwhp) but I didn't fall below 300 until 5900rpm (289rwhp). Given how slow the tach is I shoot for 5600rpm in first and then try to nail 6K for every shift after that. Seems to work out ok. :shrug:

Not being a jerk but maybe you've got the traps wrong on your car?

I used Wallace racings calculators to show ya I'm not picking on ya but I think you've got the traps a bit off, maybe your track's radar is optimistic?

I have to agree here... I ran 86.19mph in the 1/8th and ended with 110.17mph That was done with -127ft DA... car had FRA/K&N on it. While my driving sucks the ETs were 8.422 and 12.88 respectively. Even with 130ft DA I went 85.35mph and 108.59mph (stock). @3200DA my times were 8.79 @ 83.07 and 13.480 @ 104.74 (stock).

My stockish 03 cobra with a cai and mufflers ran 13.6@105 on bald street tires without powershifting at 4300ft. 01 Cora's run 14.4's up here bone stock but decent driving. Z28's and ss's run 14.4-14.8 up here bone stock. Autos running slower. Decent drivers, not powershifted.

Did you just counter with an FI example while discussing DA? :nonono:

Willy,

I keep a copy in my dropbox... I've been searching for years trying to find the other article where they ran 12.89 though..still no luck.

Camaro.jpg.jpg

Last edited:

S8ER01Z

Established Member
Gears/Bolt ons/tune won't net the Cobra 4mph?

If only the car in question had those mods. :p:-D

I think the discussion is being muddied here... I gained 2mph in my camaro just cutting out the plastic under my air box... of course the mods you listed should give a Cobra an easy win, with the car in question having 4.10s and a K&N filter I think it will be difficult to declare it the easy winner here.

Kiohtee

Established Member
Exactly! If the Cobra in question had full bolt-ons, gears, and a dyno tune, yes it would beat a stock LS1... Quite easily at that, regardless of whether it's an A4 or M6. But the Cobra in question has basically just 4.10's for mods as a CAI and an O/R X (which isn't even installed yet) will only provide about 5rwhp, total, if that.

BTW, I'm no longer gonna argue the point of what my car or many other LS1's run. If you wanna be oblivious to facts so be it, the proof is out there and it doesn't take mineshaft conditions for a stock LS1 (A4 or M6) to run low or mid 13's. :lol:

2KBlackGT

The Man, Myth, The Legend
Established Member
If only the car in question had those mods. :p:-D

I think the discussion is being muddied here... I gained 2mph in my camaro just cutting out the plastic under my air box... of course the mods you listed should give a Cobra an easy win, with the car in question having 4.10s and a K&N filter I think it will be difficult to declare it the easy winner here.

I thought I read that he had gears/CAI/catback/SCTtune and that he would be putting the midpipe on by the time the race happened:shrug:

Kiohtee

Established Member
I thought I read that he had gears/CAI/catback/SCTtune and that he would be putting the midpipe on by the time the race happened:shrug:

He's got 4.10 gears which are definitely good for a car that loves RPM, but crappy Sumitomo tires will pretty much negate those 4.10's off the line. The CAI is a moot point as it adds, literally, almost nothing to the rear wheels, and by Flowmaster "exhaust" I take it he means a run of the mill cat-back which will also provide little to nothing in the performance department, but maybe a solid 3-5rwhp. His O/R X, if he really gets it installed, is good for another 3-5rwhp, and I'm willing to bet the tuner won't do shit without it being tuned on an actual dyno.

Basically, OP could have as much as 10-15rwhp over stock with his bolt-ons, or as little as nothing to 5rwhp. Now if he had a JLT, longtubes, O/R X, and quality straight-through cat-back with 4.10's we're looking at a solid 300rwhp Cobra, but that's not the case and I'll bet the cost of a dyno pull OP with all his mods will only make 275-280rwhp.

Last edited:

S8ER01Z

Established Member

Per OP

i have 4.10 gears K&N CAI, flowmaster exhaust, and a short throw shifter i also have a bbk o/r x pipe in my garage i could throw on

I left out the short throw and the flowmaster but I don't believe those mods do a lot. There was no tuner mentioned and the o/r x pipe isn't on the car *yet* so I was making the comparison on mods done. I could be entirely wrong...that's what makes these threads interesting. The fact that the race will likely never happen always makes these threads seem completely pointless but I figured I would toss my thoughts in and maybe, just maybe a race would happen. :shrug:

Kiohtee

Established Member
OP did say something about a tuner in his return post, but still.

I've seen full bolt-on Cobra's make 300-310rwhp, but there as few and far between as the full bolt-on LS1's making 350rwhp. In the end it will come down to the OP taking his car to 7k and driving the hell out of it, while all it'll take from the Camaro's driver is keeping his foot planted in the gas and keeping it pointed straight. Which is really more likely here? And also OP, do NOT agree to a dig. :nonono:

Last edited:

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Don't be too sure on any of the gains, it depends on the condition of the car. dynopull's are a solid $75 give or take.

I do agree that those mods don't add a ton of power but they add some, and they drop weight, somewhere around 50#'s front to rear, maybe more. There's also a short throw shifter which helps a good bit while shifting and drops a few lbs also.

The sumitumo's may not hook like dr's but remember, the stock 01 cobra was faster to 30mph in the motortrend comparison link that was put up earlier in this thread. The stock tire is a 245 I believe so a 315 will hook better than a 245 Pirelli? (I know the gt's had those as an option). More bite than stock, and enough to help drop the 60' ft by 1-2 tenths.

It's cool that amazingly prepped tracks with great drivers powershifting in low da have gotten the 01 ss to run 12.8/12.9 but even even j smith got an 01 Mach to run 13.15 and those only have 305hp. Bottom line is hero runs exist everywhere, I remember that he also got an 03 to run 12.4@114 but again, hero runs aren't the norm.

Most stock z28's and ss's are running low 14's to 13.30's at 104-107 depending on the track. That isn't slow by any means and theyre great simple mod platform cars, easy gains put them deep in the 12's and 11's, but back on topic, the autos aren't usually in the 13.30 range, they tend to be closer to low 14's/high 13's. A few a4's have run 13.90-70's and a guy here probably isn't far off remembering a 13.60 but again, the norm is different. Maybe his car has a mild cam that a previous owner installed, with 170k miles, if he bought it used, it's highly possible as its very uncommon for a4's to run that fast especially at 1200-2200ft of altitude.

The reason I brought up my times, even a stockish fi time was to put in perspective how I've seen cars run up here at 4300ft to explain how altitude effects times so people could see that at half the altitude, a car would still be way off sea level times so the comments about 13.60's at 2200ft were probably wrong. I didn't compare fi to na. I posted a stockish time @ mph and then also posted times of other cars as well as an na time I ran after my motor build but before turbos with 375whp.

All told, one thing to correct you, fi times at altitude as in roots blown stockish cobra's (mufflers, cai) aren't very immune to altitude conditions. The thin air can't cool the blower well as it passes through the lobes, the sparser air charge creates less power in general, and all the while any air brought in has to go through a heaton anyways so after 1 or 2 runs, they go into limp mode with a factory tune. That was my first pass. 2nd and 3rd attemps were 13.80 and 14.10 at 103 and 101.

Dual pass huge front mount twin turbo at altitude is entirely different, roots blown with stock cooling is a joke though, iat's can hit 140 in 3-5 minutes of hard freeway driving.

Last edited:

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Also nice article about the ss being faster than cobras or bullets but honestly, stock for stoc with great drivers, we all know that. Even motortrend had the ss 3 tenths faster than the stock 01 cobra.

The bullet has 265 flywheel horsepower and is a 2v gt, it's not in the same power range as either the cobra or ss. Awesome cars though, very balanced and enjoyable plus the muted look is an epic win.

All said though, it's a tough argument that a stock a4 ss is a faster straight line car than an 01 cobra with 4.10's (stock was a 3.27 I believe), 315's, cai, catback, tuner, o/r x, and short throw shifter.

It's the op's race to lose but still that doesn't mean he has the slower car if he loses. You can beat yourself by missing shifts or granny shifting or launching into a John force burnout pretty easy at 16 when the adrenaline kicks in.

Users who are viewing this thread