01 cobra vs 2000 camaro SS? who do you think would win

2KBlackGT

The Man, Myth, The Legend
Established Member
Per OP

I left out the short throw and the flowmaster but I don't believe those mods do a lot. There was no tuner mentioned and the o/r x pipe isn't on the car *yet* so I was making the comparison on mods done. I could be entirely wrong...that's what makes these threads interesting. The fact that the race will likely never happen always makes these threads seem completely pointless but I figured I would toss my thoughts in and maybe, just maybe a race would happen. :shrug:

I agree that this race will likely never happen, I just don't see a stock ls1 F-body beating a 01 Cobra with the OP's mods with drivers being equal. I'm not saying the OP will win by multiple cars but people are saying the OP will jump out but the LS1 will come around him. If this race is to ~120 I would be surprised if the LS1 has overtaken the Cobra.

OP you better make this race happen cause I'm interested now lol.

OP did say something about a tuner in his return post, but still.

Yeah he mentioned in a later post, not the 1st one.

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
If it was m6 ss vs this modded cobra, I'd say the op has full hands because it would be a dead even drivers race imo.

It's just that the a4's hold gears so far from when I've been in them that I know the cars are out of the sweat spot for half of their rev range in every gear.

If you stay from 4800~5600 rpms in a stock ss/z28 your averaging the most power that the band allows you to given stock gearing. With 4.10's, I'd shift one at 5200 so that by the time I reacted, it'd be 5400~ and drop in at 4800.

Incase I've confused some people, the reason I pick a shift rpm that is shy of the real optimum shift point is reaction time. It's wise to shift slightly early of your goal because it takes about .3-.5 seconds to react unless you're a robot haha.

Rick James

Got Brimley???
Established Member
I raced my friends cat-back only 2002 SS in my 2001 Cobra with 4.10s, intake and CB exhaust. His was an M6 though. It was VERY close every time. I expected him to walk me, but we even switched cars and the result was never more than a fender either way. If you can bang gears, I would give you a very slight edge due to the fact that his SS is an A4.......

jerseyls1ta

Well for reference my 2.73 geared ls1 TA with just a magnaflow catback ran a 13.4 @ 105 with a 2.1 60' so I think it'll be close just depends on how each can drive with higher speeds giving the edge to the ls1. Get out there and see n posting a vid is a must

Stopsign32v

Established Member
Would you like a gentlemen's wager? Say $100 via pay pal?

I was being nice. But if you would like we could find someone with a stock 01 Cobra, YOU take it to the track per the owner's concent, and I'd put down $100 per run until you got it to run 13.2.

More bullshit per your posts...

A stock 01 cobra is faster than an auto 01 ss if the cobra driver doesn't screw up.

If anything an A4 LS1 would be dead nuts with a 01 Cobra. If I had an 01 Cobra and I had a choice to run a stock LS1 it would be a M6. Only because I would be betting on my driving skills out doing the other guy's. That's the only way a 01 Cobra stock is going to beat a LS1.

The ss you have to short shift at 5600 with clean power shifts, and a 2500rpm launch they bite hard and run well. Guys have gotten then to run 13.1's bone stock that way.

It's been proven and documented that a stock LS1 has run 12's. :lol: But you say the best a LS1 has run is 13.1 BUT a past redline shifting 01 Cobra stock can run 13.2? :bored:

It's the op's race to lose, that said if the guy has a lid, cam, some exhaust work he hasnt told the op about, the op will have his hands full, might lose.

So a cammed, lid, some exhaust LS1 might lose to a 16 year old driving a stock 01 Cobra? :rollseyes

Like I said..........

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Jersey is your ta a4 or m6? I'm guessing a4 because of the gear but I don't know enough about the setups on fbody's. Good run, I've seen that true dual catbacks help fbody's a tone, I'm guessing the kit replaced the messy factory y

Stopsign32v

Established Member
Not being a jerk but maybe you've got the traps wrong on your car?

I used Wallace racings calculators to show ya I'm not picking on ya but I think you've got the traps a bit off, maybe your track's radar is optimistic?

8ary7ege.jpg

86 in the 8th comes up as 110 in the 1/4. I've seen stock 03 cobras trap 87-88 1/8ths and hit 111-112 in real life times lips from members on this site, not locally though. Altitude sucks.

Good thing you got your trusty iPhone app that will tell all! :rolleyes: :loser:

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
I was being nice. But if you would like we could find someone with a stock 01 Cobra, YOU take it to the track per the owner's concent, and I'd put down $100 per run until you got it to run 13.2.

More bullshit per your posts...

If anything an A4 LS1 would be dead nuts with a 01 Cobra. If I had an 01 Cobra and I had a choice to run a stock LS1 it would be a M6. Only because I would be betting on my driving skills out doing the other guy's. That's the only way a 01 Cobra stock is going to beat a LS1.

It's been proven and documented that a stock LS1 has run 12's. :lol: But you say the best a LS1 has run is 13.1 BUT a past redline shifting 01 Cobra stock can run 13.2? :bored:

So a cammed, lid, some exhaust LS1 might lose to a 16 year old driving a stock 01 Cobra? :rollseyes

Like I said..........

1. That wasn't the bet. Nice? bullshit. Sell that to someone else. The bet is $100 that there's no bullshit in a well driven manual going faster than the exact same car with an a4. Still want the bet? You need comprehension skills. I called bullshit on that comment and still do. I went on to explain that dsg's and wet clutch tranny's don't count as slushboxes.

2. No, you need to correct your attitude with some communication skills.

3. Stock to stock sure, it's very close/ drivers race a4 vs 01 cobra but the op's car is modded. Get reading comprehension skills.

4. I talked about hero runs just a sec ago, real world times by owners, not Evan J show it differently than you're saying. It's an illogical argument that since one guy ran 12's, it's possible that any m6 ss will. Nonono you need cognitive skills.

5. ??? Try a stock a4 ss vs the ops modded 01. You need some reading skills. This thread has nothing to do wig cammed/lid ss's. nonono

Welp, get back to me when you get some skills. Bored.

Edited to read smoother/tapatalk formatting.

Last edited:

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Good thing you got your trusty iPhone app that will tell all! :rolleyes: :loser:

Good thing that is actually Wallace racings website and not an app.

If I lose in life, your life by comparison must be hell. Sorry for ya, really. Hope this Internet cool guy stuff makes it all peachy and cool to be alive

Stopsign32v

Established Member
Welp, get back to me when you get some skills. Bored.

You actually had more of a reply than I expected. :lol:

Good thing that is actually Wallace racings website and not an app.

If I lose in life, your life by comparison must be hell. Sorry for ya, really. Hope this Internet cool guy stuff makes it all peachy and cool to be alive

It's a calculator that does not apply to much of anything. For example...my car in the 1/4 trapped 108mph. What does your calculator say it should trap in the 1/8?

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
You actually had more of a reply than I expected. :lol:

It's a calculator that does not apply to much of anything. For example...my car in the 1/4 trapped 108mph. What does your calculator say it should trap in the 1/8?

I edited that reply so it reads easier. Tapatalk didn't bold my responses when I bracketed them.

I'll check wallace's real quick, hold on.

Pretty handy site, wallaceracing.com

Kiohtee

Established Member
tt335ci03cobra: I still don't know where you're getting your times from man. :nonono:

While not every car runs the same stock or modded, it's definitely not the norm to see 13.8-14.2 from a stock LS1, regardless of it's transmission. I know for a fact (and I have the timeslip to prove it somewhere) that in 2,200ft DA my car did 8.8 @ 86mph through the 1/8th. And since you seem to like those conversion calculators so much, why don't you convert that time and MPH to the 1/4? Just make sure NOT to correct the DA.

Unless you live in Himalayas man, your times are way off. Here's how it breaks down on an average test and tune night in my neck of the woods (all stock of course):

'96-98 GT: 10.0-10.3 @ lol
'96-98 Cobra: 9.3-9.5 @ 79-83mph
'99-04 GT: 9.5-9.9 @ 75-78mph
'99/01 Cobra: 9.2-9.4 @ 80-83mph
'03-04 Cobra: 8.0-8.2 @ 87-89mph
'11-13 GT: 8.2-8.6 @ 84-86mph
'98-02 LS1 F-Body: 8.6-9.0 @ 83-86mph

Note: I actually talk to the owners/drivers of these cars and gather their information, I don't just see a car and say, "Oh it's stock, now let's see what it runs."

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Just off forums. Up here everything is slow stock, srt8's run 14.2-14.5's haha.

Here's the trap speed 1/8th one gu asked for
u5u5yqyz.jpg

Came out as 85mph in the 8th given 108 in the 1/4. Seems about right. Calculators are just equation based so its not like 100% must be thing.

If you ran 86 in the 8th maybe the laser is optimistic, that's booking for an a4, like I said elsewhere maybe a previous owner put a mild cam in the block, it would make a lot of sense.

Stopsign32v

Established Member
1. That wasn't the bet. Nice? bullshit. Sell that to someone else. The bet is $100 that there's no bullshit in a well driven manual going faster than the exact same car with an a4. Still want the bet? You need comprehension skills. I called bullshit on that comment and still do. I went on to explain that dsg's and wet clutch tranny's don't count as slushboxes.

Ok so the bet wasn't that a stock 01 Cobra could run 13.2? Where did you get that someone said a well driven manual will not run better than the exact same car in automatic form? :dw: WHO CARES???

3. Stock to stock sure, it's very close/ drivers race a4 vs 01 cobra but the op's car is modded. Get reading comprehension skills.

Let's go over what you said

A stock 01 cobra is faster than an auto 01 ss if the cobra driver doesn't screw up.

Powershifting an 01 at sea level will get it in the 13.20's with 7k shifts and a great launch.

So there you go. YOU said a stock 01 Cobra IS FASTER than an auto 01 SS. Which is............bullshit

5. ??? Try a stock a4 ss vs the ops modded 01. You need some reading skills. This thread has nothing to do wig cammed/lid ss's. nonono

Again lets go back....

It's the op's race to lose, that said if the guy has a lid, cam, some exhaust work he hasnt told the op about, the op will have his hands full, might lose.

Here you are claiming that a cammed LS1 would give a 01 Cobra with 4.10s, tuner, and a 16 year old driver his "hands full" and the 01 might even lose!

Dude you haven't got a clue what the hell you are talking about. :poke:

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
When I've looked up ls1 before, most of the guys were in that range, great drivers had stockers pushing 13.20's. but those were m6's. Aren't we talking about a4 ss/z28's? Maybe I'm off by .1-.2 tenths but its not much.

Stopsign32v

Established Member
Just off forums. Up here everything is slow stock, srt8's run 14.2-14.5's haha.

Here's the trap speed 1/8th one gu asked for
u5u5yqyz.jpg

Came out as 85mph in the 8th given 108 in the 1/4. Seems about right. Calculators are just equation based so its not like 100% must be thing.

If you ran 86 in the 8th maybe the laser is optimistic, that's booking for an a4, like I said elsewhere maybe a previous owner put a mild cam in the block, it would make a lot of sense.

I actually ran 89mph in the 1/8th. This is in a bolt on M5 Mach 1. (see sig)

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Ok so the bet wasn't that a stock 01 Cobra could run 13.2? Where did you get that someone said a well driven manual will not run better than the exact same car in automatic form? :dw: WHO CARES???

Let's go over what you said

So there you go. YOU said a stock 01 Cobra IS FASTER than an auto 01 SS. Which is............bullshit

Again lets go back....

Here you are claiming that a cammed LS1 would give a 01 Cobra with 4.10s, tuner, and a 16 year old driver his "hands full" and the 01 might even lose!

Dude you haven't got a clue what the hell you are talking about. :poke:

1. I called bullshit on that dudes post about "I don't care who you are, no one can out shift an auto....." You called my post bullshit so there ya to about autos in my post.

2. Way out of context. Auto 01 ss's have never run 13.1 stock. 01 cobras have run 13.1-13.4 with Proper launches and powershifting. If I were driving a stock 01 cobra, after leaning the launch, I could beat a stock a4 ss/z28 assuming both cars are running well and have decent tires. Lets not turn this into a pissing match, I'm sure you could too, or anyone that can powershift and launch well. That's a small few but car vs car, the 01 can be faster than a stock a4 ss/z28. Evan had a Mach 1 running 13.12 with only 305hp. The extra 10hp is basically nothing but still, it only helps the case. I don't know what he ran with an 01, I think it was a 13.20. I'm sure you know as well as any that good launch and powershifting times right makes all the difference in a head to head stock race.

3. If the ss has any of those mods that he hasn't told the op about, it will off set most any advantage he has assuming he can drive really well an has an advantage to begin with. If the ss owner has all of those mods, the op might well lose by a car or more. Don't see where that is confusing.

Users who are viewing this thread