01 Lightning Problem Making Noise Under Boost

Justin07

Established Member
Hey guys, i need a hand to figure out whats wrong with my truck. It has been running great, but the other day i noticed when stepped on it, it started making a weird fluttering type noise, kind of like a huge exhaust leak. So I tried to find out exactly when it happens. When you are cruising, the truck runs great and sounds great even accelerating it's fine as long as you to go into boost. but once boost gets up over 5psi on the dash gauge, the truck looses tons of power and a weird fluttering noise is heard coming from the engine. I checked under the hood and everything looked to be fine, no broken hoses or anything. There is no check engine light on either. Anyone have any ideas?

thanks,

Justin

Last edited:

The $6 Man

Dopetastic K. Shizzle
Established Member
Either the actuator like mentioned or the boost dump solenoid is acting up. I think it's the third sensor back on the driver's side bracket with the egr solenoids also. You could try unplugging it and see if it fixes the problem.

03LCalgaryAB

Established Member
The exact thing happened to me. It was still under warranty and Ford determined it was a bad COP..well thats what they say it was.

Justin07

Established Member
thanks for the responses, i'll try and check those two boost solenoids.
Wouldn't a bad COP throw a code? and did your problems happen all the time or just under boost?
thanks,

Justin07

Established Member
thanks for the responses, i'll try and check those two boost solenoids.
Wouldn't a bad COP throw a code? and did your problems happen all the time or just under boost?
thanks,

bgstew6

ResFirma Mitescere Nescit
Established Member
cops dont throw codes typically until they are almost completely shot...if its acting up under load.....its on its way out trrust me...may take a little while for it to completley die;

BriteRed20s

Established Member
If the ideas above don't work, try cleaning the IAC as it can make a nasty noise when it's is not working right.

txyaloo

Established Member
I'm running down a similar problem right now. Clean your maf, iac, and iat. The maf cleaning fixed 95% of mine. I was shuddering/fluttering around 5-8lbs of boost. Now I can get up to 14 or so before it kicks in. I'm thinking the rest of my problems are a COP.

Justin07

Established Member
The problem is definitely starting to feel like a misfire, its stumbling at idle now and even at slow acceleration. Is there anyway to pinpoint exactly which COP is bad?

Scuba-Matt

Boost Freak!!!!!!!!
Established Member
It's been my experience when you see one COP going bad the others follow pretty quickly. You might just pick up a new set from the Ford dealer. After market COP's have yet to prove themselves and in many cases they are inferior to the OEM COP's.
You could also buy a COP tester and check them to see how many are bad. But replacing them one at a time might cost more in the long haul.

Justin07

Established Member
So where is the best place to get coils, i called the dealer today and they want $151 canadian each. I saw them on autozone for $54 , are those ones any good?

Justin

txyaloo

Established Member
You can get Accel cops for around $200 US for all 8. I think the MSD cops are around $350. You can get 8 OEM style off ebay for $95.

Users who are viewing this thread