01 Stock Cobra vs 09 NISMO 370z

dadro77

Deez nuts....
Established Member
The spray will shock him. I raced one on spray, and it was over before he knew what happened.....

97desertCobra

Procharged!
Established Member
CAI is not worth the $$$ IMO. You might gain 3rwhp. Get a K&N drop in filter. Gears, O/R X and full length subframes and go from a dig. That will put you well ahead of him. You should also do some free at home weight reduction if you plan to go from a roll. Remove the spare tire and jack, run with a 1/4 tank, remove all misc shit inside your car such as trash, water bottles, cd's and their cases, tools etc. For every 100lbs you manage to drop its like gaining 10 hp.

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
If you want to find out who is the better driver do a dig.

If you want to know which car is faster then do a roll.

If I was you I would go with 3.90 gears, K&N filter, LT's, O/R X pipe and a SCT dyno tune AFTER everything is installed and not the other way around and you will be very pleasently surprised.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
No way I would want to be running around with anything more than 4.10 gears w/ a 5.4.
If you seriously are putting in a 5.4 ALL YOUR MODS SHOULD BE TAILORED for THE END GAME!!!

Too many guys get distracted and spend money on stuff that ends up getting changed out later, I'm an older guy , been there done that... DON"T DO IT!

Don't forget about IRS bushings while you are planning your mods, wheel hop sucks royal ass, I hated it when I first got my car, now with Delrin and SFCs hop free.

Even a 3.73 gear would be a good gear for the 5.4. If you are not doing a whole lot of street driving or open track the 4.10s and up ok but I still wouldn't do over 4.30s. Unless it's a dedicated drag car, the 5.4 has a 4.16?" stroke, you'll want to keep piston speeds reasonable.

My $.02:beer:

99riocobra

i like ice cream
Established Member
279rwhp/241tq

The NISMO with 18 more bhp (15 rwhp more) and 250'ish torque, should not walk you like you stated.

We have tons more torque, and you might not be able to walk away from one in stock form, but they should not be walking you.
tons more? not quite. 4v cars are notorious for being torqeless wonders, w/o a blower or turbo that is...

Slow mustang :(
Established Member
it weighs less. and who knows, maybe it was underrated from the factory like a lot of cars seem to be...

Like I showed earlier:

YouTube- 370z Dyno relentlessrpm.com 279.6 HP and 241 ftlbsTQ

279rwhp/241tq

The NISMO with 18 more bhp (15 rwhp more) and 250'ish torque, should not walk you like you stated.

We have tons more torque, and you might not be able to walk away from one in stock form, but they should not be walking you.

They were rated right on...and yes, they might be 100lbs lighter, but we have an extra 50 lbs of torque to more than make up for it, thus they should not be walking an almost stock 99-01 Cobra. We have an AWESOME top end.

OP's car has some issues.

Incidentally, I **totally** annihilated a 350Z last week. From a roll of about 50 to 120'sh, I put at least 15 cars on him and this is even after he gunned it while infront of me. I passed him at the equivalent of him standing still, while I'm driving by at about 25-30 mph.

Last edited:

01cobrajm

Established Member
dadro77 knows whats up, by the time you waste money on gears, LT, cai, and a tune your well over the price of a decent nitrous kit. just get spray and beat the hell out of the 370 and alot of other cars on the road.

dadro77

Deez nuts....
Established Member
dadro77 knows whats up, by the time you waste money on gears, LT, cai, and a tune your well over the price of a decent nitrous kit. just get spray and beat the hell out of the 370 and alot of other cars on the road.

Not just beat, embarrass........:coolman:

Finaltheorem47

I'm a Lead Farmer
Established Member
CAI is not worth the $$$ IMO. You might gain 3rwhp. Get a K&N drop in filter. Gears, O/R X and full length subframes and go from a dig. That will put you well ahead of him. You should also do some free at home weight reduction if you plan to go from a roll. Remove the spare tire and jack, run with a 1/4 tank, remove all misc shit inside your car such as trash, water bottles, cd's and their cases, tools etc. For every 100lbs you manage to drop its like gaining 10 hp.

I'll get started on it. Weight was probably an issue, but I didn't consider it a big factor. Two small Asian guys in the 370z and two big 210-230lb guys in the Cobra.

No way I would want to be running around with anything more than 4.10 gears w/ a 5.4.
If you seriously are putting in a 5.4 ALL YOUR MODS SHOULD BE TAILORED for THE END GAME!!!

Too many guys get distracted and spend money on stuff that ends up getting changed out later, I'm an older guy , been there done that... DON"T DO IT!

Don't forget about IRS bushings while you are planning your mods, wheel hop sucks royal ass, I hated it when I first got my car, now with Delrin and SFCs hop free.

Even a 3.73 gear would be a good gear for the 5.4. If you are not doing a whole lot of street driving or open track the 4.10s and up ok but I still wouldn't do over 4.30s. Unless it's a dedicated drag car, the 5.4 has a 4.16?" stroke, you'll want to keep piston speeds reasonable.

My $.02:beer:

Great post, IRS bushings are already planned as a future mod.

With the T-56 & 4.56, 6th gear would put me @ just below 2k RPM's, so I figure that's great. Piston speeds has always been a big debate it seem with the 5.4 motors but it seems like there is inconclusive evidence on that subject.

I do prefer to plan towards the end, not one step at a time. Nitrous oxide I'm not interested in, thanks for the suggestion though guys. To me, beating him with nitrous oxide feels like a cheap shot.

get rid of the slowmasters!!

Looking at a SLP Loudmouth 1 catback in a few days to locally buy. :beer:

OP's car has some issues.

I think you are right. I'm hoping a tune up might clear up any loss of performance.

yellow01

Established Member
If you want to find out who is the better driver do a dig.

If you want to know which car is faster then do a roll.

If I was you I would go with 3.90 gears, K&N filter, LT's, O/R X pipe and a SCT dyno tune AFTER everything is installed and not the other way around and you will be very pleasently surprised.

plus 1. But you with out the gears he will no longer pull on you.

Users who are viewing this thread