02-04 svt focus problems?

GOTSVT?

This Is Absolution
Established Member
tough to say....I havent read anything like I do with Cobra issues....like tick, vibe, stall, clunk, ect....
I think it is a good investment.
Long live SVT!

FORDSVTPARTS

Authorized Vendor
There are a few issues,

Dual stage intake lever or actuator can break, easy fixes for both.

T-stat housing can leak, fairly easy fix.

The clutch can be a problem especially if it's abused, some have failed in less than 12,000 miles but mine has 65,000 on the original clutch and I have talked to guys with nearly 100k on the original clutch setup.

The clutch issues can be spotted by listening for a quite noticeable clatter/rattle from the bellhousing or obviously slippage is bad.

A clutch replacement is neither cheap or easy but there is a larger upgraded clutch produced by Ford for these cars.

Find the cleanest, most original car you can find and if you need a VIN checked I can see what the warranty history looks like which can be a good indicator of how a car was treated.

I would also suggest that you buy one with the options you want, The '03-'04 European appearance cars are loaded and come with the Recaros and the HID lights, neither of which are cheap to get after the fact.

I have had my 2002, the supposed "problem child" SVT Focus for about a year and a half and I love it, It's never let me down and it's an absolute blast to drive.

BTW- your SS may feel like a boat (a fast boat) after driving an SVTF for a while, It's not a rocket in a straight line but it is a razor sharp corner carver that will embarrass MUCH more expensive cars on a windy road.

Last edited:

brandondrecksag

Established Member
FORDSVTPARTS said:
There are a few issues,

Dual stage intake lever or actuator can break, easy fixes for both.

T-stat housing can leak, fairly easy fix.

The clutch can be a problem especially if it's abused, some have failed in less than 12,000 miles but mine has 65,000 on the original clutch and I have talked to guys with nearly 100k on the original clutch setup.

The clutch issues can be spotted by listening for a quite noticeable clatter/rattle from the bellhousing or obviously slippage is bad.

A clutch replacement is neither cheap or easy but there is a larger upgraded clutch produced by Ford for these cars.

Find the cleanest, most original car you can find and if you need a VIN checked I can see what the warranty history looks like which can be a good indicator of how a car was treated.

I would also suggest that you buy one with the options you want, The '03-'04 European appearance cars are loaded and come with the Recaros and the HID lights, neither of which are cheap to get after the fact.

I have had my 2002, the supposed "problem child" SVT Focus for about a year and a half and I love it, It's never let me down and it's an absolute blast to drive.

BTW- your SS may feel like a boat (a fast boat) after driving an SVTF for a while, It's not a rocket in a straight line but it is a razor sharp corner carver that will embarrass MUCH more expensive cars on a windy road.

lol...well I have a dual purpose for the svt focus...it'll make my ss feel faster since i won't be driving it every day...and i'll actually be able to drive in the snow9with the focus....lol)...easier...lol.

I used to own a 04 focus zx3..so i'm aware of how they are...i test drove two svt foci before I bought my SS. I really liked the cars, but neither dealer would come down to a decent price(asking 18-19k on 20-30k cars)..so i got the SS...now I need a second car...so i immediatly wanted one of these. I found a car for 10k..its a 04...which i hate the wheels...the car only has 18k on it though..which worries me a lil bit..I was thinking its a flood car.

edit: could you check these 2 vins for me.

3FAHP39504R111853
3FAHP37573R178712

thanks...I really appreciate it.

Last edited:

doubletrouble

The Mad Scientist
Established Member
Can't check any VINs, but can point you towards some more problems. The stock tune from Ford Blows ass unless it's been updated. Cheap fix as the tuners for these cars are selling chip with the tune on it for $350. Also the heat shields on the catalytic converter rattles like no other. Still an easy fix. All in all, a good car.

FORDSVTPARTS

Authorized Vendor
brandondrecksag said:
lol...well I have a dual purpose for the svt focus...it'll make my ss feel faster since i won't be driving it every day...and i'll actually be able to drive in the snow9with the focus....lol)...easier...lol.

I used to own a 04 focus zx3..so i'm aware of how they are...i test drove two svt foci before I bought my SS. I really liked the cars, but neither dealer would come down to a decent price(asking 18-19k on 20-30k cars)..so i got the SS...now I need a second car...so i immediatly wanted one of these. I found a car for 10k..its a 04...which i hate the wheels...the car only has 18k on it though..which worries me a lil bit..I was thinking its a flood car.

edit: could you check these 2 vins for me.

3FAHP39504R111853
3FAHP37573R178712

thanks...I really appreciate it.

Hi again. I ran the vins and the only thing I can find out about the first is that it's a branded title meaning the car was totalled at one time, I can't find out why though.

The second has a couple real minor warranty repairs but no major issues show up.

I hope that helps.

brandondrecksag

Established Member
FORDSVTPARTS said:
Hi again. I ran the vins and the only thing I can find out about the first is that it's a branded title meaning the car was totalled at one time, I can't find out why though.

The second has a couple real minor warranty repairs but no major issues show up.

I hope that helps.

thanks..that really helps car only has 18k ona 04 and they were asking 10k..made me suspicious.

brandondrecksag

Established Member
FORDSVTPARTS said:
Don't they have to disclose the fact that it's a salvage title out there?

...yeah they do...they id when i called them for a test drive.

could you check this vin for me?

3FAHP39583R166906

thanks..i may have to buy the ford racing supecharger from you in the spring if i actually get a svtf..thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread