02 gt conv steering/alignment help for $$$

luke1333

Banned
Established Member
Alright guys early in the summer i had 4 tires put on my mustang and aligned. The alignment was never perfect. I work at a dealer and the steering wheel when i bought the car was too far turned to the right and after alignment was too far to the left. The mechanic that did it i was told is the best at alignments. Well after 4 times still wasnt perfect and ran out of time that night. So tonight he offered to fix it months and months later. i said sure. Still isnt perfect and i dont get it. Now i want to know if anybody has an idea how to fix it. I know mechanics there that can do anything but alignments. Any some say its as easy as aligning a tire rod or ive heard the whole car needs realigned! If anybody knows what to tweak or etc i can put it up on rack tomorrow and me and other mechanics (not one that aligned) will attempt it and drive to check. Or anyway to just line up just the steering wheel??? im just clueless on alignments lol Here is a video explaining what i mean. Watch as the steering wheel is straight the car will go off to the right. At the end of the video i held the steering wheel straight and i went all the way into turning lane!!! (i can take new video in day light if you like in the morning) Would really appreciate how to fix this and would even paypal you some $$$ if you like to fix this problem! its so annoying!!! Car is going to body shop tomorrow night to get front bumper license plate holes so time is of the essence or i'll do it next week when i get it back! sorry for long post but this is really frustrating!! Any help will be greatly appreciated! thanks guys!!!

youtube video link

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dy23MSOdsA4&feature=plcp&context=C32c77f4UDOEgsToPDskKHP-tkjh99JDwOhj9beLKM"]Mustang steering help please - YouTube[/nomedia]

Mystic03

Established Member
Its your allignment seems they cannot get it right,i for one since i do allignments everyday are you lowered, c/c plates did they do camber, caster and toe? Try rotating tires

luke1333

Banned
Established Member
Its your allignment seems they cannot get it right,i for one since i do allignments everyday are you lowered, c/c plates did they do camber, caster and toe? Try rotating tires

Sounds like you are the right guy to talk too then!! :) and nope not lowered car is bone stock. and they aligned using tire rods i believe tonight but did cc plates last time. can i attempt the caster and toe with the cc plates by myself? without realigning?

Mystic03

Established Member
Sounds like you are the right guy to talk too then!! :) and nope not lowered car is bone stock. and they aligned using tire rods i believe tonight but did cc plates last time. can i attempt the caster and toe with the cc plates by myself? without realigning?

You shouldnt need cc plates on stock ride height car unless you have spring sag,but yes to set the toe tie rods are adjusted generally they set toe in on rwd cars since goin forward pushes the tire out when in motion but do not try to attempt to adjust anything without it on the allignment rack!you will cause nothin but a headache and also may void warranty if you have one.take it back and have them re allign the toe and set wheel straight but if youve been back there more than twice chances are they wont get it right take it somwhere else.

Last edited:

luke1333

Banned
Established Member
You shouldnt need cc plates on stock ride height car unless you have spring sag,but yes to set the toe tie rods are adjusted generally they set toe in on rwd cars since goin forward pushes the tire out when in motion but do not try to attempt to adjust anything without it on the allignment rack!you will cause nothin but a headache and also may void warranty if you have one.

ugh ok and nah it doesnt have spring sag its only got 39k on it for an 02 so no warranty either and i will have to have the 2nd best mechanic at alignment llok at it next week when i get it back! guess it isnt as easy as a tire rod alignment or something like that

Mystic03

Established Member
ugh ok and nah it doesnt have spring sag its only got 39k on it for an 02 so no warranty either and i will have to have the 2nd best mechanic at alignment llok at it next week when i get it back! guess it isnt as easy as a tire rod alignment or something like that

I meant warranty threw the place you bought the allignment from,and they are actually quite simple takes 20min for a simple toe set

luke1333

Banned
Established Member
oh no there wasnt one. and i didnt even get an employee discount for it either lol and will a toe alignment fix that problem?

Mystic03

Established Member
oh no there wasnt one. and i didnt even get an employee discount for it either lol and will a toe alignment fix that problem?

You work at a shop and lead mechanics cant do a simple allignment....but 9/10 thatll straighten the wheel along with the pull but could also be a tire pull too

luke1333

Banned
Established Member
yes i know there is a vette that has the same problem and he cant align it. he has worked there for 30 years lol and cant align a car to a t. there is a mechanic that never has anything comes back and hates to do alignments but apparently he is good. i need to have him ride with me one night and show him and have him do it.

Mystic03

Established Member
Sucks...but just get the steeringwheel straigt along with the toe and youll be ok if it keeps pulling with everything in spec its a tire prob and cross the fronts

luke1333

Banned
Established Member
Sucks...but just get the steeringwheel straigt along with the toe and youll be ok if it keeps pulling with everything in spec its a tire prob and cross the fronts

i really doesnt pull just when you let go of the wheel it is turned to the left but car runs straight if that makes sense

03OxWhiteMach

Lexi Belle=1 Sexy Clown
Established Member
LOL... The BEST tech at the shop can't get it aligned?

They don't even need to align the rear... Its a solid rear axle car, nothing to align.

If the steering wheel is off to one side after the alignment, they didn't have it centered with the steering wheel locker in place before the alignment started.

Start by cross rotating the fronts and see if it pulls the other way. If it does, then its the tire. If you have directional tires on it, rotate front to back.

Next, if you work at the shop, have them throw it up on the alignment rack with you there.

Have them calibrate the heads (depends on the model). Make sure all of the heads are leveled (bubble in the center on all four heads.)

Do your caster swing with the brake depressor on and the pins pulled out of the rack. Center the steering wheel and install the steering wheel lock.

Pull up the measurements... if you are within factory spec the reading will be green, if not in spec red. If the tech is unsure on how to make the adjustment, right click and pick illistrate adjustment.

Adjust as needed: Caster, Camber, then Toe. Should be good to go...

Many guys get lazy and just toe and go.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
Sounds more like the tech got it within spec but neglected to tell you you likely have tire pull.

I think the machine used to check this is called a roadforce balancer. Rotating tires will help diagnose it, and the way to alleviate is to throw on new tires on all 4 corners.

I was fighting misalignment for YEARS on my GST. Kept going back to sears, asking for it to be redone. Finally took it to a Les Schwab and the guy was like "uhh, your alignment is near perfect; your tires are likely causing the pull". Got new tires from Americas tire and goddamn if he wasnt 95% correct.

luke1333

Banned
Established Member
No I think white mach hit it on the head. The tech doesn't lock the steering wheel. I bet that is the problem!

Sent from my HTC Rezound via Tapatalk

luke1333

Banned
Established Member
Alright its being attempted again. 6th time I think. Hope it gets perfect. Well now I just want it back to almost perfect!!!

Sent from my HTC Rezound via Tapatalk

03OxWhiteMach

Lexi Belle=1 Sexy Clown
Established Member
Sounds more like the tech got it within spec but neglected to tell you you likely have tire pull.

I think the machine used to check this is called a roadforce balancer. Rotating tires will help diagnose it, and the way to alleviate is to throw on new tires on all 4 corners.

I was fighting misalignment for YEARS on my GST. Kept going back to sears, asking for it to be redone. Finally took it to a Les Schwab and the guy was like "uhh, your alignment is near perfect; your tires are likely causing the pull". Got new tires from Americas tire and goddamn if he wasnt 95% correct.

A Roadforce Balance just matches up the heaviest part of the rim with the lightest part of the tire... or vice versa depending on how you want to think of it. All roadforce does is give you the best balance possible.

Pull by a tire is usually caused by tire cord seperation or unevenly worn tires (unevenly worn because of alignment).

Glad you got it sorted out OP...

Users who are viewing this thread