'02 Lightning, Big Block Chevy build.. :)

Blown2004Stang

Established Member
Ok.. so, don't shoot the messenger..

My buddy decided that he wants to build a nasty rat motor for his '02 Lightning. I've built tons of mod motors, but, never messed with a Chevy Rat. So, it'll be a learning experience for me, too. As far as the assembly, it's pretty simple to put a BBC together.

So far, we're working with:

'03 502 production engine (steel crank)
H-beam rods w/ARP 2000's
Forged pistons
Clevite bearings
Moly rings

I'm looking into head/cam/intake combos right now.. I like the AFR 315 CNC'd heads. With just these heads, and a mild cam, a STOCK 502 block will make about 750hp/680tq. That's at 9:1 C/R.. So, I figure at 10.5:1 or so, and a more aggresive cam, we can squeeze 800hp/700tq out of this 502. Behind a rollerized TH400, that should put us at around 650-675whp and 650wtq or so. We'll top it off with a dash of n2o and hopefully make around 750-800whp.

I'd love to build a BBF to put in here, but, you just can't make the power for the same money that you can get out of the 502.

Input? (And please don't say.. "Just keep the mod motor".. ;) )

Travis

oilwell1415

Established Member
Your buddy is a communist. The days of a Ford motor costing double what a Chevy motor costs are over and have been for a while. The costs still aren't the same, but they are in the ballpark. A BBF would have been the way to go, and for the money invested in that BBC he could have had over 600 cubes of BBF and made some real torque.

wigginwilly00

Another day in Paradise
Established Member
If I could go back in time I would have thrown a big block in my truck. I tell my friends and family that all the time. Anyone that is running big power with a mod motor understands how much money is really involved with these trucks.

I agree with the post above about keeping a Ford motor in the truck....To each his own though.

Interested in seeing how the build comes out.

oilwell1415

Established Member
I would hardly consider dropping a Chevy motor into a Ford on the outdated premise that it's cheaper something different. That's the most common thing to do. Different would be a BBF, an old side oiler, OHC 427, etc. I'll even give credit for different to the guy who dropped a Supra engine in his Gen 1, but dropping a Chevy motor where it doesn't belong isn't different anymore, it's the fear of doing something different.

Blown2004Stang

Established Member
It's not about being "different".. It's about what he can afford, and what's most practical. Brand loyalty isn't THAT big of a deal, is it? It's a motor.. it doesn't care what it's name is. ;)

On second look, I think he's going to go with a 496, because of cost. Basically, a 454, bored and stroked to a 496, with a decent set of heads.

I know what it costs to build a 6-700hp mod motor in a Gen 2.. I've been there..

Rebuild113.jpg

travis_burrelle_lightning.bmp

Travis

oilwell1415

Established Member
It isn't the big block that screws it up, it's the fact that it's a Chevy motor.

I find it really humorous that he's going 496 because he can't afford a 502 when he wants a 700+hp engine. As if a 496 will magically be cheaper than the 502. If the money is there to build that kind of power in a Chevy it's there to build that kind of power in a Ford as well. Most guys who use the "Chevy is cheaper" excuse, and that's all it is, fail to realize how much it costs to put an engine that doesn't bolt up in a car. That isn't a factor in this case because neither big block is a bolt in, but I've watched countless people build a Chevy engine because they think it's $1000 cheaper only to spend $2000 on the pieces they need to bolt it up where it shouldn't have been in the first place.

I wonder how your buddy would feel about cutting up a 69 Z28 to put a blown 5.4 in it?

Or is it not really you and not your buddy? You're so defensive about this all the sudden even though you obviously knew up front this wouldn't be a popular idea.

Darren5.0L

Triple Supercharged!
Established Member
Doing off-brand engine swap is an awful lot like voluntarily becoming a trans-sexual; although initially surprising, it'll be universally reviled by either brand...

Seriously? your telling us a 80's short box GM pickup isn't in the budget to build a BBC for? Perhaps sell the lightning and go with a 454 SS and build forward?

Meh, at the end of the day, this guy's going to do whatever he wants, regardless of what the internet has to say on the issue. Been a pretty good thread for getting folks all excited. Makes you just want to go throw an F150 Ecoboost in a 'Vette doesn't it? LOL

the12fast4u

Established Member
Said the guy with the Lightning engine poking through the hood of his Mustang.. :shrug:

How does putting a 600+hp big block into a Lightning screw it up?
atleast its a ford in a ford and its still a mod motor at that.guess its going from being a lightning to a sparkler
It isn't the big block that screws it up, it's the fact that it's a Chevy motor.

I find it really humorous that he's going 496 because he can't afford a 502 when he wants a 700+hp engine. As if a 496 will magically be cheaper than the 502. If the money is there to build that kind of power in a Chevy it's there to build that kind of power in a Ford as well. Most guys who use the "Chevy is cheaper" excuse, and that's all it is, fail to realize how much it costs to put an engine that doesn't bolt up in a car. That isn't a factor in this case because neither big block is a bolt in, but I've watched countless people build a Chevy engine because they think it's $1000 cheaper only to spend $2000 on the pieces they need to bolt it up where it shouldn't have been in the first place.

I wonder how your buddy would feel about cutting up a 69 Z28 to put a blown 5.4 in it?

Or is it not really you and not your buddy? You're so defensive about this all the sudden even though you obviously knew up front this wouldn't be a popular idea.

:beer: well said my friend!

95PGTTech

Established Member
As someone who has a chevy powered Cobra, do it. Just the sheer responses you get from the nuthuggers make it worth it.

It's a ****ing set of rods and pistons swinging around a crank, ladies. It's all the same shit. You don't really think that Ford or Chevy designed "Ford engines" or "Chevy engines", do you? Everything in cars for the last fourty years has been outsourced, the parent companies mostly handle just the assembly. Very, very little parts of the cars are designed or manufactured by Ford or Chevy.

Blown2004Stang

Established Member

I don't even own a Lightning anymore.. lol.. I'm just helping him out. I honestly didn't think I would get this kind of reaction from people. Ok, maybe a few jeers and pokes, but, not insults. You obviously don't know me, and that's fine.. but, I've been in the automotive aftermarket industry for 10 years.
I'm not making this up here.. so, I don't appreciate being accused of such things. The truck belongs to my friend Josh. It's a 2002 True Blue, and can be seen in our 2009 New Orleans Lightning Meet video that I put together:

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjGAqVTj20s"]YouTube - Ford Lightning Meet, New Orleans Lakefront, July 2009[/nomedia]

He had a rod bearing failure earlier this year, and the truck has been stripped/prepped for a repaint. He doesn't have 15-20 grand to build a big HP mod motor (with all of it's supporting mods).. So, this was a viable option for him. It has nothing to do with brand loyalty.. It has everything to do with bang for the buck. Additionally, he has been able to sell most of his mod motor parts/trans/blower, and come up with a good chunk of change to put towards building the new engine/trans. All in all, he'll be able to build a 600+hp big block, and put a nicely built TH400 behind it for 10 grand or less.

A 496 is much cheaper to build, because you don't have to source the expensive 502 block to begin with. A buildable late 80's - early 90's 454 can be had for less than a grand, complete. Parts are dirt cheap for it, and a dime a dozen. Building a 502 for the same power level will be about 2 grand more than the 496.

If you don't like the idea.. that's fine.. but, there's no need for insults.

Travis

Blown2004Stang

Established Member
As someone who has a chevy powered Cobra, do it. Just the sheer responses you get from the nuthuggers make it worth it.

It's a ****ing set of rods and pistons swinging around a crank, ladies. It's all the same shit. You don't really think that Ford or Chevy designed "Ford engines" or "Chevy engines", do you? Everything in cars for the last fourty years has been outsourced, the parent companies mostly handle just the assembly. Very, very little parts of the cars are designed or manufactured by Ford or Chevy.

Thank you.. lol.. It's not THAT big of a deal! Any pics/details on your Cobra?

Blown2004Stang

Established Member
atleast its a ford in a ford and its still a mod motor at that.guess its going from being a lightning to a sparkler

:beer: well said my friend!

Who cares? It still looks retarded! I could argue that the cost and BS associated with that swap is ridiculous, when compared with just putting a blower on the 4.6. At least my buddy's hood will close, and he won't have to cut holes in it.

Travis

wigginwilly00

Another day in Paradise
Established Member
Who cares? It still looks retarded! I could argue that the cost and BS associated with that swap is ridiculous, when compared with just putting a blower on the 4.6. At least my buddy's hood will close, and he won't have to cut holes in it.

Travis

I wouldn't worry about the haters. Stepping to their level isn't going to help this thread... When they pay your bills, truck note, and insurance then maybe you should head their advice. Until then, build-on....

I personally am anxious to see how this project turns out...

Users who are viewing this thread