'02 Lightning, Big Block Chevy build.. :)

Blown2004Stang

Established Member
It's called hot rodding folks. A crate 572 would look much better IMO Travis. ;-)

haha.. what's up man? :) Tooling around on my buddy's truck has made me really miss mine. I'm going to end up selling the GT to get another one. But, I won't be putting a big block into it. LOL! :D

Travis

Blown2004Stang

Established Member
I wouldn't worry about the haters. Stepping to their level isn't going to help this thread... When they pay your bills, truck note, and insurance then maybe you should head their advice. Until then, build-on....

I personally am anxious to see how this project turns out...

I'll post pics as we move along with it.. It'll probably take a few weeks to get finished up at the body shop, but, I'll post pics of the roller once it gets back. :)

Travis

Shawnski

Fairmont Enthusiast
Established Member
BBC makes more power cheaper...BS!

I would agree with you ah like 5 years ago. Ever here of Engine Masters? John Kaase heads on plan old 2 bolt 460 based block...can net you more cubes. Ford 385 series BB have more room for big rods than a BBC. It has been proven among engine master builders and it's sister rag Popular Hotrodding that you can build a bigger BBF with Kasse heads with more HP than a BBC for less money. Fact. Get with it...BBC in a Lightning sacre bleu!

Blown2004Stang

Established Member
He's not opposed to doing a BBF.. BBC is what came to mind because of costs.. But, if he can build a BBF for the same money, or close to it, then.. we'll look into that option as well. :)

Blown2004Stang

Established Member
This isn't a debate about keeping the mod motor.. that's already out of the realm.

I mean, if ANYONE has anything to add pertaining to building a nice BBC or BBF, I'm all ears.

Travis

oilwell1415

Established Member
.......Ok, maybe a few jeers and pokes, but, not insults.

Where exactly were you insulted? Nobody in this thread has insulted you.

You obviously don't know me, and that's fine.. but, I've been in the automotive aftermarket industry for 10 years.

If that's the case it seems like you should know that a Ford engine isn't any more expensive than a Chevy engine any more unless you get really exotic, which you aren't.

blah blah blah.....All in all, he'll be able to build a 600+hp big block, and put a nicely built TH400 behind it for 10 grand or less.

You can buy the FRPP 600+hp crate engine for less than that, and it is way overbuilt for what it is. You even get a warranty with it.

A 496 is much cheaper to build, because you don't have to source the expensive 502 block to begin with. A buildable late 80's - early 90's 454 can be had for less than a grand, complete. Parts are dirt cheap for it, and a dime a dozen. Building a 502 for the same power level will be about 2 grand more than the 496.

Maybe I should have phrased that differently.....anyone wanting to build a 650-675 hp engine needs to get comfortable with the fact that it's going to cost money. You also said in your original post that you had the 502 to start with, which implies that you already have the block. You were also talking about getting a set of $3k heads. That certainly makes it sound like the money to do a 502 over a 496 will be worth it. In fact, the 502 might end making more power per dollar because the bigger bore makes it easier to get air in and out of the cylinders.

If you don't like the idea.. that's fine.. but, there's no need for insults. Travis

??????

Who cares? It still looks retarded! I could argue that the cost and BS associated with that swap is ridiculous, when compared with just putting a blower on the 4.6. At least my buddy's hood will close, and he won't have to cut holes in it.

Travis

I have to agree with you on this.

It's called hot rodding folks. A crate 572 would look much better IMO Travis. ;-)

Yes, it is called hotrodding. When hot rodding started they mixed and matched because there either was no alternative or the alternative wasn't cost effective. Those days are over.

I would agree with you ah like 5 years ago. Ever here of Engine Masters? John Kaase heads on plan old 2 bolt 460 based block...can net you more cubes. Ford 385 series BB have more room for big rods than a BBC. It has been proven among engine master builders and it's sister rag Popular Hotrodding that you can build a bigger BBF with Kasse heads with more HP than a BBC for less money. Fact. Get with it...BBC in a Lightning sacre bleu!

Thank you! The 460 is plain and simple a better performance engine design than the BBC. It has a taller deck, wider bore centers, bigger bore (and thus will accept bigger valves), no oddball intake ports, bigger bearings, et al. If you want power and torque a stout 460 is the best NA bang for your buck out there.

He's not opposed to doing a BBF.. BBC is what came to mind because of costs.. But, if he can build a BBF for the same money, or close to it, then.. we'll look into that option as well. :)

What have I been telling you since the beginning of the thread?

This isn't a debate about keeping the mod motor.. that's already out of the realm.

I mean, if ANYONE has anything to add pertaining to building a nice BBC or BBF, I'm all ears.

Travis

Scenario:
Buy a mid-70's full size Ford car with a 460 and C-6. The whole thing will probably cost you $1000. Then sell the parts you don't need and you'll probably make a large chunk of that back, maybe even all of it. The 9" rear end and unused 460 parts should get you $300-400 easily. How much the rest brings depends on what kind of car it is and what equipment it has. You'll get another $100 to drag it across the scales, so you're out $500. If you'd rather not hastle with all that, I've got a garage full of 460 stuff and 3 or 4 C6 transmissions for them. I'll sell ALL of it to you for $500. There should be enough stuff there to build two or three shortblocks and have a good start on numbers 3 and 4. Local pick up only.

I would put these parts on/in the bare block:

545ci stroker kit, $1700
Kaase P-51 heads $2500 (or the Boss 9 heads, but they're about $5k)
Kaase Victor 4500 intake $800

Get a cam custom ground for the application, use quality components and do a good job of assembling them, and you'll have a hydraulic roller street engine that makes 700-750 hp and rougly as much torque and doesn't need a ton of rpm to do it. The engine and a C6 to put behind it should be inside of your $10k budget.

As I said before, from a performance standpoint the 460 is a far superior engine design than the BBC. Now that parts availability has caught up you can't beat if for the money.

Blown2004Stang

Established Member
Damn dude.. all you had to do was say the last part. :D

I was looking at the Kaase P51 heads.. The Boss heads look nice, but, out of the price range. The 460's taller deck means we can get away with stroking, and not messing up the rod/stroke ratio too much. I like that idea..

Where are you located, and what exactly do you have as far as parts?

Isn't the C6 a HUGE power hog? I was thinking about putting a PA Super Comp C4 behind it. It's rated at 1000hp, but, I'm not sure how it would do behind a big block.

Travis

oilwell1415

Established Member
I live around Tulsa, OK and the parts are in my shop about an hour west of me. It would be a pretty good all day drive to get here, but it might save you some searching. I could run over there with you Thanksgiving weekend.

What I've got is basically a pile of miscellaneous 429/460 parts. I was planning to drop a twin turbo 605 in my Cougar, but decided to use a lighter motor. I bought up several complete engines so I could choose the block with the thickest walls to start with. A couple of them were junk, but I've still got a few others. A guy made me an offer I couldn't refuse for all the heads a few years ago, so those are all gone, but I've still got blocks, cranks, oilpans, bolts, brackets, and all the little stuff that usually ruins your day when you realize you don't have it during a build. All but one came with a C6 behind it, so I've got 4(?) C6 cores sitting there waiting to be built and put in a home. I don't know what shape any of them are in, but between them I'm sure you could get enough parts to build one or two good ones. Same with motors, I never got far enough along before deciding on a 4.6 to have any of them checked. Of the ones I bought, one 429 and one 460 ran when I pulled them, but were worn out. I know I have the block for the 429 on a stand and I believe the running 460 block is still there. Basically, if you bring a full size truck we could probably fill it with more parts than you want to haul home. I may be able to go over ahead of time and verify what's there if you want me to, just depends on my schedule. I think I've still got some small block and flathead stuff as well. If you're interested in that sort of thing we could work something on it too.

The C6 does suck up some power, but I don't think it's as bad as the reputation it has. I've played around with a few of them behind FEs and if they suck up much power I sure couldn't tell it. Unless PA has changed their tune, they don't recommend and won't warranty a C4 in a truck even though their website doesn't mention that. They say the weight kills it, but the engine can only twist as hard as it can twist....go figure.

Blown2004Stang

Established Member
He's coming off of a 3 week offshore job this week.. I'll talk to him about it, and see what he wants to do. I can pay to have a FedEx truck show up to pick this stuff up.. All you have to do is throw it on a pallet with a few straps, and use an engine hoist to put it in the truck. They'll take it from there. Would you be cool with shipping a 460 block, along with a C6 trans, and all of the little misc. parts in a box?

Travis

oilwell1415

Established Member
The nearest FedEx truck freight facility is almost 100 miles from where the parts are, so it would cost a fortune for them to pick it up. I also don't have anyway to load it more than one piece at a time, so it they would be sitting there for a while and I would have to take off work to do it since truck freight doesn't run on weekends. I think you would be better off to just try to source it locally. There is plenty of this stuff out there, but I figured if you were willing to make a road trip and wanted a lot of parts I could help you out.

WhiteBolt

Engine Master
Established Member
One of these would look awesome inside a Lightning engine bay .... Kaase Boss Nine

bossside.jpg

Plug changes would be easier too :-D...
The Lightning transmission handles way more power than an old C6 and you might be able to adapt it to a 429 block. Call around to some of the top transmission builders to see if it's possible to do.

Last edited:

WhiteBolt

Engine Master
Established Member
Where are you getting your info? The C6 would almost handle the power he wants in stock form. The 4R100 won't even come close.

What do you do about overdrive if you want to do some highway usage?
I thought the o.p. was talking about a street vehicle, not a track only vehicle.

Last edited:

572ysc

Established Member
Ok solution found if you like boost stay with the mod if you like raw n/a power go BB it doesn't matter who builds the big block at least its a big block. It nice pulling up beside a honda saying yoo two of my cylinders are the size of that thing.

fruhdaddy

Established Member
I would go with a poked out 460 IMO. They are a dime a dozen and parts are fairly cheap and can make alot of power.

4a7191a

Established Member
i say to move this tread to SD and let him really have it.
put that BB in a S10 or something. leave the poor lightning alone. what did it ever do to you?

Users who are viewing this thread