02 Mustang GT

red3fidy

Established Member
Just bought a used 02 GT with 6800 miles on it. The car is basically brand new. The first thing I want to do is put flowmasters on it, but I've been reading about Bassani's lately. What's the gains from Bassani over Flow or vice versa?
I also would like to open the intake a bit by installing a K&N filter charger and maybe a different throtle body.
I'm new to the Mustang world, but a verteran in the Ford truck world, so any help would be greatly appreciated!!!
p.s. the cobra that is for sale is my girlfriends.

screwed

'Round And 'Round I Go
Established Member
The difference in hp between those two cat backs (or any two for that matter) will be negligable, especially for a mostly stock car so I'd get the ones that sound the best to you. I wouldn't spend the money on the cai. I'd get a drop in K&N, timing adjuster, and a shifter to start with. Maybe one of the plenum/tb combos too. Just depends on where you intend to take the car in terms of power.

red3fidy

Established Member
I didn't think there wouldn't be much of a difference in Hp. I guess I was more concerned with sound. I like the Flowmaster sound, yet I haven't heard bassani sound.

I think the GT has a stock H pipe, is there any benefit to getting an aftermarket pipe?

How about websites with performance upgrades for Mustangs only?

Thanks again.

poopnut2

Lifelong Vagetarian
Established Member
No cats= better flow=more power. Even two cats on a high flow pipe will increase your power a tad. Of course flowmaster sounds good but bassani sounds better IMO.

DEADLYSVT03

Established Member
my son has an 02 gt worked. his exhaust consist of high flow cats, magnaflow x-pipe, and mac cat back. if you want an exhaust system that gives you nice numbers.. i would go that set up, and the sounds is really mean. i like the sound of his car better than my 03 cobra.

but it is all up to what you like. just my 2 cents

DEADLYSVT03

Established Member
no way. i've driven his car before. it breathes great. no restrictions at all. it feels as if he doesnt even has cats. all together it cost him 1000 and change and he cant be more satisfied.

it gave his car a lot of power for just exhaust and the sound is great. nice deep and throaty. the sound that pretty much says dont f*ck with me.

forget flowmaster and all the other ones. if your looking for just a cat back exhaust go with MAC. its dyno proven to give gt's the most horsepower out of all the other exhaust systems.

and if you want more. do the high flow cats and the magnaflow x pipe.

he gets all his work done at mustang magic in long island ny, so everything he did to his car pretty much is the best. go with the mac cat back,high flow cats,and magnaflow x pipe and you wont have any regrets. guaranteed

DEADLYSVT03

Established Member
also a nice intake system is the steeda cold air intake with the c&l plenum. gave my sone 15 rwhp. go with that

if your going to get the K&N setup make sure you the cobra one though.

poopnut2

Lifelong Vagetarian
Established Member
Originally posted by deadlycobra03
my son has an 02 gt worked. his exhaust consist of high flow cats, magnaflow x-pipe, and mac cat back. if you want an exhaust system that gives you nice numbers.. i would go that set up, and the sounds is really mean. i like the sound of his car better than my 03 cobra.

but it is all up to what you like. just my 2 cents

You should notify your son he's running an inefficient exhaust system. First of all, his stock headers are keeping the exhaust's potential down. Look right at the exhaust manifold and see how pinched down stock headers are. Even though you think you can't tell the difference between 1 and 2 cats, there are about 10rwhp differences in most cases. Lastly, even though an X pipe with chambered mufflers like mac's sounds good, it creates too much back pressure in your exhaust once again keeping the motor from breathing as best as possible. He needs a straight through muffler such as borla or bassani.

poopnut2

Lifelong Vagetarian
Established Member
Originally posted by deadlycobra03
forget flowmaster and all the other ones. if your looking for just a cat back exhaust go with MAC. its dyno proven to give gt's the most horsepower out of all the other exhaust systems.

Actually, if you do a tad more research with an X-pipe a borla or steeda will give him more power. With an H-pipe, single chamber flowmasters or a spintech muffler will give him more power then a MAC catback. And lastly, the MAC catback is notorious for the tailpipes rusting up within the first year of use.

As for high-flow cats. They are the same as regular cats it's just on aftermarket H and X pipes there are only 2 cats restricting instead of the stock h-pipes 4.

Don't go out and pay for installation on a h/x pipe and catback. The swap can be done with handtools and a floorjack in less then 2 hours. Good thing about buying new is that it usually comes with instructions.

red3fidy

Established Member
As I see it, my car has restricting headers, 2 cat's per side, no H or X pipe, and sorry stock mufflers......
headers: $350
2 high flow cats: $500
H or X pipe: $175
2 high perf muff's: $300
tailpipes: $100
labor: $200
TOTAL: $1625..... ouch I gotta start saving.

poopnut2

Lifelong Vagetarian
Established Member
Or you could do it this way, which is how it really is. And my suggested setup.

BBK ceramic coated longtube headers:$500
X-pipe with high flow cats:$429 (ouch), offroad is $200
Borla stinger catback:$500 on ebay w/ free shipping

$1200-$1429. Header and x pipe install, $300, install catback yourself in under one hour.

Total $1500-$1729 for a badass exhaust system.

Or for a great sounding but not as power efficient, yet still good for performance option.

FMS shorty headers:$270(non ceramic)
MAC Offroad or Highflow H pipe-$170(offroad)-$390(w/ cats)
Flowmaster catback(same as MAC, better material)-$390 shipped

That's $830 for parts. Only have headers installed somewhere unless he'll put the new pipe on for free. Don't let him charge you anymore than $300. Do the catback and H-pipe yourself if necessary.

That's a good, efficient exhaust system on your car just for over $1000 with brand new parts. Look around for used parts and you might be able to cut your costs in nearly half.

Bullitt_#1346

Established Member
I went with the Magnaflow x pipe (catted) and the Magnaflow Magnapack catback. I really like the sound, and my installer was impressed with the performance improvements the car made. He normally uses Bassani exhausts, but because of my T-56, the Bassani wouldn't work. The Magnaflow did, and after putting it on my car he became a Magnaflow dealer.

TrueBlue'01GT

Established Member
Originally posted by poopnut2
Actually, if you do a tad more research with an X-pipe a borla or steeda will give him more power.

I have a Borla exhaust but I am searching for a good X-pipe. I keep hearing that you lose bottom end with Xpipe but not with H-pipe is this true?

Do most of you agree that a catted Magnaflow is the X-pipe to get?

fordrules

Slow But Still Trying
Established Member
I have the MRT catted H-Pipe on my GT and I love it. The cats that are on it are Magnaflow.

Almo

Established Member
I have a Diablo 4 bank chip, Underdrive Pullies, and 70MM FRPP Throttle Body I am selling. Seeing how you have a 02GT, your computer code should be MDE2. Underdrive pullies would also fit your ride. The chip along gave me 8.3 RWHP and 16 RWTQ on the Dyno.

Myself, I have a Bassani X w/High Flows with Magnapacks. Had Flowmasters before I went to the Magnapacks, like the Magnapacks a lot better.

Cheers.

Last edited:

red3fidy

Established Member
Magna packs? Who makes those?

I think I'll start with mufflers and shorties for now....... cat's and new H pipe later as funds allow.

What will underdrive pullies do for me? I'm assuming it will free up some ponies by lessening the drag on the engine? How much of a difference will this give me?

Almo

Established Member
Magnapacks, same company that makes Magnaflows.

Magnaflow Magnapacks. :-D

Underdrive pullies will probably give you 5-7 RWHP.

Cheers.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread