'02L - Did I hear detonation?

CWCobra

Established Member
Drove the wife's '02L last weekend. It was hot, humid, and sticky. I fear I heard detonation (several times) under mild acceleration from redlight with A/C on. Could not reproduce sound with A/C off, nor under hard acceleration with A/C on. Only from redlight to redlight. Sounded like valve clatter on an old Chevy I used to have when I burned regular gas instead of premium.

Is this something serious enough to warrant a visit to dealer? We have an appointment for tomorrow. I HATE to go to dealer. Service writer did not even know what SVT stood for. Had no clue about free loaner program. Said we would have to take that up with their rental department. I HATE to go to dealer, but don't wanna break a piston or something.

Truck is TOTALLY stock, down to stock air filter. Has 12,000 miles on clock.

All comments appreciated,
CW

Sweet35th

Genius/serial killer
Established Member
Pinging can occure given the conditions you explained, and could be nothing more than poor quality fuel....I have found that my truck is very tempermental for pinging and fuel quality.

Slow EGR actuation can cause pinging under light throttle as well, But rarely because of a failure, I would still lean towards fuel quality.

Also another noise comon on these trucks is a light rattle from engine area, just as the engine reaches its shift from 1-2, right around 3000rpm, its a quick clatter then gone. Although that doesnt sound like what you were hearing.

CWCobra

Established Member
Nope...it's a continuing clatter, lasting several seconds. Could be fuel I guess. I use 93 octane, but could be a bad batch from the gas station.
Thanks for your thoughts. Truck went to dealer this AM. Dealer said they'd have to keep it until afternoon heat, in order to replicate the trouble. But since no work could be done until diagnosis was done, there would be no free loaner. Service writer couldn't spell SVT.

Later,
CW

MaxPower

She likes Spaghetti
Established Member
Valve clatter... have had it since day 1. No big issue. Especially since you're stock.

Couldn't hurt to throw some toluene in the tank...

CWCobra

Established Member
rant on:
The wife picked up the truck today...not fixed - had to order a part "for the supercharger"...couldn't tell me which part, or what diagnosis was. What really chapped the wife was the empty fuel tank when she picked it up. The "LOW FUEL" warning light was lit. It had over 1/2 tank the previous morning. Hell, I don't care if they burn some gas. I really don't mind if they hot-rod it a bit. I know I do when I drive it...But the least they could do would be to leave enough gas in the tank for a lady to get home!

Or am I asking too much?

Dealers! Can't live with 'em; can't kill 'em.

end of rant,
CW

Users who are viewing this thread