03/04 Cobra Oil Cooler Delete need help ASAP

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
doesn't it take forever for your car to warm up like that?

edit: i guess that's the wrong question - but how does the system circulate when you eliminate the factory bypass hose? does the coolant just remain in the heads until the t-stat opens up? trying to understand the mechanics of it

on a side note this is a pretty old thread i think there may be more up-to-date solutions for the oil cooler delete

I have not seen anything different on the oil cooler delete/filter relocate front. The cobra engineering one pictured is basically whats out there from all vendors.

I have a different brand crossover delete but works the same, I have a very small hole in the thermostat to potentially help with bleeding but there is no bypass. It doesn't take very long to warm up. If I let the car idle in the drive way for maybe 5 minutes or so it's starting to get up towards operating temps (150-160ish) and 180 shortly after

DCguy

Established Member
Cobra Engineering is basically the gold standard for cooling on these cars these days.....from their HCM, coolant crossover delete, oil cooler delete, and intake manifold IC adapter, etc.....James recently did a video on this stuff that will explain a lot.

geoffmt

Established Member
Premium Member
Bummer I didn’t know about cobra engineering, I bought an improved racing setup and mixed it with a different coolant crossover delete. The remote filter adapter has a thermostat before going to the cooler

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

papajoewill

Established Member
Bummer I didn’t know about cobra engineering, I bought an improved racing setup and mixed it with a different coolant crossover delete. The remote filter adapter has a thermostat before going to the cooler

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com
I think I will be getting the cobra engineering piece and then balling out on a Peterson Remount mount. The idea to be able to pre-prime before every start is amazing to me

TitanSvt

Rico Collazo
Established Member
doesn't it take forever for your car to warm up like that?

edit: i guess that's the wrong question - but how does the system circulate when you eliminate the factory bypass hose? does the coolant just remain in the heads until the t-stat opens up? trying to understand the mechanics of it

on a side note this is a pretty old thread i think there may be more up-to-date solutions for the oil cooler delete
It takes maybe 3-4 mintues to get to operating temp. No change in warmup time. Not sure about how it flows without bypass hose, but it works. I used a Reische 170° T stat and it's perfect, coolant temps don't get higher than 186 on a warm day.
Haven't done a pull yet for those temps but I can't see it getting above 200-210°

Sent from my SM-G998U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

4sdvenom

Never Enough!
Established Member
When eliminating the coolant bypass most people drill a few small 1/8” holes through the thermostat in order to allow flow through the system. Not doing so will not allow the cooling system to operate correctly and efficiently.

You can adjust the number or size of the drilled holes in order to control warm up time. Start with one or 2 holes first and add from there. However the majority tend to end with 3 holes at 1/8” diameter. With no bypass and no holes your cooling system will be dead headed until the thermostat opens, then when satisfied and it closes it will be dead headed again.

Ken

Last edited:

T3RM1N8R_18

Established Member
When eliminating the coolant bypass most people drill a few small 1/8” holes through the thermostat in order to allow flow through the system. Not doing so will not allow the cooling system to operate correctly and efficiently.

You can adjust the number or size of the drilled holes in order to control warm up time. Start with one or 2 holes first and add from there. However the majority tend to end with 3 holes at 1/8” diameter. With no bypass and no holes your cooling system will be dead headed until the thermostat opens, then when satisfied and it closes it will be dead headed again.

Ken
The Cobra Engineering kit has this feature designed in already!

atak

Established Member
Cobra Engineering oil cooler delete and MM oil filter relocation. After 2 failed oil coolers, I just deleted it. While it was apart and had no coolant, I also did the Cobra Engineering coolant crossover delete to move the T stat up top. The Cobra Engineering pieces are great, asctetically and functionally.View attachment 1736447View attachment 1736448View attachment 1736449

Sent from my SM-G9
Cobra Engineering oil cooler delete and MM oil filter relocation. After 2 failed oil coolers, I just deleted it. While it was apart and had no coolant, I also did the Cobra Engineering coolant crossover delete to move the T stat up top. The Cobra Engineering pieces are great, asctetically and functionally.View attachment 1736447View attachment 1736448View attachment 1736449

Sent from my SM-G998U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

This is great. Any pointers installing the oil cooler delete and HCM by cobra engineering. Looking into doing both.

Users who are viewing this thread