03/04 Cobra or C5 Z06?

Guy Fawkes

Established Member
Ok so soon I transferring into a new job and will be making a significant amount more. Within the next year I hope to pay off my current V6 and get either a 03/04 Cobra or a C5 Z06.

Insurance for either/or will be about what I pay now ironically for the V6, at least according to the online qoute. I will definately be able to afford either after the one year period. And will not be overextending myself.

I would like to know from people who have driven both and are knowledable on both on your thoughts about which one is better.

After a long talk with my co-worker I am heavily leaning towards the z06.

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
Insurance should be lower on the C5 Z06, at least for me it was. For a while I had kicked around the idea of owning one and called my insurance company USAA, at the time my cobra cost me 106 a month, and a Z06 would have been 65! I would drive both if you have the chance to do so before deciding on one or the other.

Last edited:

Guy Fawkes

Established Member
Insurance should be lower on the C5 Z06, at least for me it was. For a while I had kicked around the idea of owning one and called my insurance company USAA, at the time my cobra cost me 106 a month, and a Z06 would have been 65! I would drive both if you have the chance to do so before deciding on one or the other.

heh thats what I have, USAA :) And if I remember right I do think the z06 was cheaper.

moot09

Established Member
Ok so soon I transferring into a new job and will be making a significant amount more. Within the next year I hope to pay off my current V6 and get either a 03/04 Cobra or a C5 Z06.

Insurance for either/or will be about what I pay now ironically for the V6, at least according to the online qoute. I will definately be able to afford either after the one year period. And will not be overextending myself.

I would like to know from people who have driven both and are knowledable on both on your thoughts about which one is better.

After a long talk with my co-worker I am heavily leaning towards the z06.

I say cobra but im a bit biased lol I say test drive both and see which one fits.

Guy Fawkes

Established Member
I have always heard that the quality of the z06 is so much better than the cobra. That and its a drivers car.

Muscle car or sports car? Two seats or four? Twisties or drag race? Chevy or Ford? Give us something go on.

This is not SD so I will say this nicely, please dont waste my time. Obviously I am looking for first hand expierences or thoughts about them.

Last edited:

SVT_4_me

Established Member
i have owned both and it really just depends on what you are looking for. the cobra has more raw, brutal power and sounds freaking awesome. the z06 is more of a sports car, is built around the driver and handles/brakes amazing.

i am selling my z06 to get back into a ford. i will be picking up either a '07-'08 gt500 or a '11 GT next spring...

Guy Fawkes

Established Member
I dont really want full out power or just a twisties car. Im looking for something in between. I want it to have a nice quality feel to it. And I know how mustangs are. But I also want it to have balls. And I really would hate to stop owning a mustang.

I know in the end it comes down to personal choice and preference and you guys cant REALLY help me decide, I just want some opinions I guess.

I thank you in advance for the help/advice/suggestions.

Guy Fawkes

Established Member
Really? Ive been here for a little bit and dont remember seeing any. But I digress sorry for making another one.

97desertCobra

Procharged!
Established Member
I have always heard that the quality of the z06 is so much better than the cobra. That and its a drivers car.

This is not SD so I will say this nicely, please dont waste my time. Obviously I am looking for first hand expierences or thoughts about them.

Too bad there isnt a sticky that gives you the finger! Seriously dude he was asking you a legitimate question. What do you want? Comparing these two is rather pointless as they are both designed for a different purpose. The Cobra was not meant to compete with the Vette. The Cobra is a muscle car built to make lots of horse power and knock off killer times at the strip. The ZO6 is a sports car that is suposed to take the fight to the European sports cars and super cars. Its designed for corner carving, modern technology, balance, and killer styling that is unique.

The ZO6 is deffinately more refined than the Cobra, and it should be because it costs more than the Cobra to start! It seems some people think that the Vette is the top of the line F body like the Cobra is the top of the line mustang. But looking at that statement we all know that is NOT the case. However people like to compare the two as if that is the case.

My opinion, the Z06 is a better car. For the money you pay to get a Z06 it really is a bargain compared to the cars it competes against.

spitin venom

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Established Member
I went with the cobra. The Cobra has 2 more seats, more trunk space, cheaper to make faster, and costs less. The interior of the z06 reminded me of a Cavalier. The HUD was pretty cool on the Z06. I also like the size of the z06. it is like a really fast/fun gocart! There are also way to many z06's where I live. Drive them both before you choose. They are both great cars.

Silver2003Cobra

US Navy (retired)
Established Member

having had a C5 (non Z06) ummm, no the quality isn't better than the Cobra.. it was always in the shop for minor crap and had rattles and squeaks.. the top leaked (major issue since the last few months I had it, I was in western Washington)..

the major mechanical stuff was fine (same on both cars) but I only put about 20K miles on the Corvette, and coming upon 80K on the Cobra so I can't tell you about long term reliability..

also, for those that say the Cobra can't corner.. they do quite well at it, if your willing to take them to the limit..

Last edited:

qachargh

Established Member
You honestly should be looking at a C6 ZO6 if you say you are going to have the disposable income. You can find them used for not a lot more than a C5 when you consider the leap in quality and performance between the two.

Users who are viewing this thread