03-04 Cobra Spoiler Third Brake Light Repair

myers98

I was curious to know if anyone has any known fixes for cracked third brake lights.

IMG_0889.JPG

Huachipato

Screaming '04
Established Member
Stupid fragile lights. I took my car to get a new clutch/TOB/Flywheel/input shaft installed and the mechanics pushed the car around. They obviously pushed the spoiler cause mine is cracked now too.

There is a thread here somewhere where a member took the light out, glued it, polished it and put it back in. You could barely tell the damage once he was done.

The other option it to pay $$$$$$$ for a new one.

EDIT: found thread.. $%*** thanks to photobucket for making it less helpful:
https://www.svtperformance.com/forums/threads/poormans-guide-to-the-3rd-brake-light-repair.942037/

Huachipato

Screaming '04
Established Member
Normally breaks like it shows in the picture above. The tabs on the side are really fragile. Slightly over-tightening the screw or pushing on the spoiler will cause it to crack.

Zemedici

Established Member
Not to thread jack or anything OP but how are these 3rd brake lights typically broken? Just want to avoid the situation myself lol Sorry OP!

do NOT sit on the trunk / slam the trunk / push the car by the spoiler / lean anything on the spoiler

bigwave

Established Member
I took mine out, and put a tiny bit of super glue to hold it then used plastic epoxy and fiberglass mesh, like used on model airplanes for strengthening the wings, on the back side where you cannot see it. You can buy at any hobby shop, they will know what you are looking for. I then buffed it with some 1500 grit wet sand paper, you can still see the crack but you have to look hard and be looking for it. I had all the stuff at home to do this, I used to build and fly RC airplanes and Heli's. I broke mine when disassembling the car to be repainted. Anywho... my cost to fix was zero and it looks pretty good. probably now the strongest part of whole light is where I fixed it. All led's still worked and the cost of them is dumb, so I fixed it.

bigwave

Established Member
Few more notes.
Light is pretty easy to take out and much simpler to work on, and the expoxy vs super glue will flex a little just like the plastic is supposed to, super glue will just crack when you retighten it, it's very brittle.

rrpederson

lookin 4 parts
Established Member
I did the same thing as big wave. Remove the light and tabs. Use a spot or two of super glue to attach the tabs, kind of like a tack-weld for you guys familiar with welding. It will hold the tabs in place so you can work on them. ensure the tabs are lined up perfectly so the front of the lens remains flush in appearance. Then use epoxy, the stuff found at walmart is fine. When preparing to use the epoxy, use painters tape over the front of the lens, and wrap it up over the top and bottom of the lens, so that it will keep the epoxy from running all over the place and creating a mess. I would have included pictures but photo bucket sucks ass now. I reinforced the tabs with pieces of metal. Add a little epoxy, then place the pieces of metal in the epoxy so that it will add rigidity and support the tabs. Allow the epoxy to cure for 24 hour before attempting to install. I also covered the front of the lens with a decal thats is cut to the correct shape. I included an ebay link to the decal at the bottom. If anyone needs any help, pm me.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/03-04-Musta...m4aab579a52:m:mfjlRLulFo58EW8iMLhQhIQ&vxp=mtr

Users who are viewing this thread