03-04 head discussion, recomendation?

jerry5

Established Member
OK Bro's Ive read through a bunch of old threads and I'm still scratching my head about these damn heads...

I'm looking to pick up a set of just stock heads that I might want to have ported later on down the line...

I'm looking to find out what casting numbers are the best heads to get. or what year heads, How do I identify these heads as the best version?

I know about the 4 and 9 thread sparkplug holes, which casting number or year heads have 9 threads?

What other issues do these heads have?

Any recommendations would be much appreciated...

Thanks..

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Buying used Terminator heads is asking for problems.

Nearly ALL used 03/04 cobra heads will have been removed from and engine that just FAILED!

Think about it, there few to no legit upgrade heads available to make a pool of good take offs a viable option.

They are nearly all going to be hurt in someway.

Buy new updated improved Ford heads.

cbr repsol

Established Member

Nearly ALL used 03/04 cobra heads will have been removed from and engine that just FAILED!

Think about it, there few to no legit upgrade heads available to make a pool of good take offs a viable option.

Problem is they are on back order from ford.

jerry5

Established Member

The reason I am asking is because I do not want to have to take my car apart and have it not running while I build a motor.... you know how engine builders like to take there sweet a-- time doing things.... I would rather just do an engine swap all at once....

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
The reason I am asking is because I do not want to have to take my car apart and have it not running while I build a motor.... you know how engine builders like to take there sweet a-- time doing things.... I would rather just do an engine swap all at once....

Buyer beware. Just saying.

Get a beater to drive.

jerry5

Established Member
Buyer beware. Just saying.

Get a beater to drive.

Haha a beater to drive good one, my car is a garage queen its got 15k miles on it spent most its years with me working on it, so now that it runs I'd rather build a motor on the side and do a swap to save on down time....

What heads do you recommend buying if you say its too risky to buy boneyard heads...

gabe1530

Banned
how much power are you making and what are your goals. if you arent going any further than a 2.3 ~ 17lbs you should be fine with stock heads that you can find in the market section. you really have to think about all the guys that do run 700+ hp on stock heads and are doing fine. even though 9 thread heads with updated cooling passages are preferred... do you really need them if your only making ~600 hp on a safe tune?

jerry5

Established Member
how much power are you making and what are your goals. if you arent going any further than a 2.3 ~ 17lbs you should be fine with stock heads that you can find in the market section. you really have to think about all the guys that do run 700+ hp on stock heads and are doing fine. even though 9 thread heads with updated cooling passages are preferred... do you really need them if your only making ~600 hp on a safe tune?

Ive been making 600rwhp since 2006, if I do anything it will be a big improvement...

po-po 5.0

Established Member
Heads with a casting date of 01/05 or later are the "best" heads. They have improved cooling. However, I think the only application for this head would be the lincoln aviator.

Luckily, if you find used heads from an aviator, they probably won't have been abused.

jerry5

Established Member
Heads with a casting date of 01/05 or later are the "best" heads. They have improved cooling. However, I think the only application for this head would be the lincoln aviator.

Luckily, if you find used heads from an aviator, they probably won't have been abused.

Ok so your saying a set of heads from a 2005 Aviator is the exact same head? (Latest revised version of this head) .. I mean that shouldnt be too hard to find...

Users who are viewing this thread