03 Cobra block...sleeved???

matted2thefloor

Established Member
Hey there,

I came across an 03 Cobra block super cheap, but came to find out it has 1 cylinder possessing a sleeve. Can those blocks still put out reliable power with a sleeve(s)?

I'm lookin' for a block to build for the 99...and as cheap as this one is, I almost can't pass it up! I really wanted to find another Teksid block.

Suggestions???

SlowSVT

Established Member
I havent heard of anyone sleeving their iron block (not that they couldn't). I think I would stay away from this one (it's super cheap for a reason). If it was for a run-of-the mill garden veriety passenger car I wouldn't sweat it. But for a high output blown engine that block would be in the dumpster. Why take a risk with an expensive engine using a block that has been weakend by sleeving. I don't think a new iron block is very expensive anyhow. I would lean toward an iron block over a Teksid but that's just me.

Carnut6870

Established Member
I would have a shop look at it to make sure it was done right. I have always been told that a sleeve will be just as strong. Every teksid block built is sleeved. Diesel engines use sleeves everyday. Don't let a sleeve scare you away from a deal. As long as it has been done right it will last. I have a new 474 pump gas pontiac engine going in my GTO and it has a sleeve in it.

ShelbyGuy

Steers With the Throttle
Established Member
Eating a steady diet of government cheese, and liv
it had better be under $150 because you can get a new block for about that [its just an f150 block]

there's nothing inherently wrong with a dry sleeve.

teksid blocks [and all the other aluminum ford v8 blocks made since the 1980s] have a steel sleeve in them. The exception is the spray-bore aluminum 5.0 modular block which had the cylinder liner sprayed on instead of a tube pressed in the bore.

Last edited:

matted2thefloor

Established Member
I would have a shop look at it to make sure it was done right. I have always been told that a sleeve will be just as strong. Every teksid block built is sleeved. Diesel engines use sleeves everyday. Don't let a sleeve scare you away from a deal. As long as it has been done right it will last. I have a new 474 pump gas pontiac engine going in my GTO and it has a sleeve in it.

Without a doubt it would be checked by a machine shop before any $ is spent on building it.

it had better be under $150 because you can get a new block for about that [its just an f150 block]

there's nothing inherently wrong with a dry sleeve.

teksid blocks [and all the other aluminum ford v8 blocks made since the 1980s] have a steel sleeve in them. The exception is the spray-bore aluminum 5.0 modular block which had the cylinder liner sprayed on instead of a tube pressed in the bore.

Honestly, I didn't know it was an F-150 block!:idea:

Users who are viewing this thread