03 Cobra Brakes and Clutch questions

azterminator

Established Member
I am getting ready to do the brakes and clutch for the first time since purchasing the vehicle and I wanted to get some knowledge from the community first.
I was coming up to a stop light in neutral when the clutch pedal kicked out hard and the RPMs shot up and the motor died. Maybe a bad fork or pressure plate is what the shop is saying but they say either way, it will need a new clutch. He wants to put a stock clutch in it but the car dynos at 548rwhp. He says it will be fine. Im not so sure about that but I guess I can fathom it seeing as the stock one is for almost 400hp. What do you guys think? Be fine but wont last as long or should I not even bother with a stock one?

And for my next question. The car has red brembo brake calipers on the front. Are these what come on the car from the factory or is it aftermarket? I need new brake pads but I am not sure if I should be looking up the part number by my year make and model or if it needs to be specific to these calipers if they are aftermarket?

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

powershifter

Established Member
Might as well replace it with a clutch that's going to hold more power so at least you have some room to up the power. I'd recomend spec 3+ clutch

azterminator

Established Member
The spec stage 3 clutch isnt too much more $ over the stock one so I think I am definitely leaning that way.

Any idea on the brakes?

caveeagle

Currently Decompressing
Established Member
Your car did not come with Brembo calipers. The 03-04 cobras all came with PBR 2-piston calipers with 'COBRA' on the front. The 10th anniv. cars has Red calipers.

MBoyle1

redfire
Established Member
No to the stock one a spec 2+ will hold around 670 lb ft & great drive ability. thats what Im thinking about putting. when my factory one stops holding!

azterminator

Established Member
Since they are not the stock calipers as youve stated, I suppose the only way to find out what I have is to take them off and get a part number. Thanks for your reply it was helpful.

caveeagle

Currently Decompressing
Established Member
you could also post a pic of the calipers. I am sure someone here could help you out with a part#. If it was me, I would want to minimize downtime and you will probably need to order the brake pads.

azterminator

Established Member
Wow thats impressive on a stock clutch. Definitely something to consider.

So I feel pretty tarded right now. I went to get a picture and realized the calipers are not red. The person I bought it off of gave me a folder with all kinds of service records and after market parts manuals and I came across a brembo manual that had a picture of red calipers on it and somehow it got stuck in my head that those were the ones on my car. Turns out the rotors were upgraded to brembo slotted rotors but calipers are black with white lettering. Stock Im assuming. The car is in the shop right now so this is the best pic of the brakes I can come up with right now. Its not a closeup of the brakes but maybe someone can tell from this.
garage.php

Users who are viewing this thread