03 Cobra Clutch?

fordmastertech

Established Member
I have read alot of the post about clutches. Here is my combo and how I drive. What clutch do yall think would be best for my application.

Convertable. 2.80 upper. 6lb lower. Metco idlers, Throttle body, bypass, full exhaust, (no headers) JDM chip, 4.10's cold air kit.
I am leaving on the 6700 rpm rev limiter and having a 1.55 60ft times but the clutch went away at the last race. The time for the 1.55 60 ft pass was 7.01 in the 1/8. I am getting ready to pull trans and change the clutch. Is the Spec going to live for me or do I need to upgrade further. I plan on changing the input shaft as I read but clutches were really up for grabs. Thanks.

http://www.yonsonracing.com/fulton/hutch launch.MOV

Last edited:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Hey, why are you teasing us with that short movie clip in your sig. Do you have the full run? :lol1:

redaddiction

Project Venom
Established Member
Everyone who is putting down decent power is blowing away clutches I would suggest the McCleod street twin disk and get a 26 spline input shaft I have heard nothing good about these clutches. I'll have updates and install as soon as i get mine.

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
Originally posted by redaddiction
I have heard nothing good about these clutches.

Red you might want to re-read your post. :lol:

I agree with him if you are launching that hard I would go with the Mcleod twin disk and 26-spline that is what I am doing.

btw, How the hell are you launching at 6700 rpm? I guess I really do need BFG DRs I have to slip the clutch at 2k.

Vrrooom

MACA Member #156
Established Member
That video didn't look like you were dumping it at 6700. Still pretty insane to get 1.55 60's on Drag Radials!

VENOMOUS03COBRA

Established Member
Originally posted by Vrrooom
That video didn't look like you were dumping it at 6700. Still pretty insane to get 1.55 60's on Drag Radials!

i agree. im not calling bs , but i doubt very much that you can launch at 6700 rpms with 4.10 gears on dr's and hook. something doesnt sound right. :shrug:

p.s. - that was a very nice launch though, whatever your doing.

redaddiction

Project Venom
Established Member
Originally posted by toofast4u
Red you might want to re-read your post. :lol:

I agree with him if you are launching that hard I would go with the Mcleod twin disk and 26-spline that is what I am doing.

btw, How the hell are you launching at 6700 rpm? I guess I really do need BFG DRs I have to slip the clutch at 2k.

Whoops thats what you get for staying up too late.

Vindication

Flossy Fast
Established Member
I went with the Mcleod Twin disk as well. I haven't installed it but I'm sure its a lot better than that weak centerforce I have. :)
centerforce clutch :burn:

VENOMOUS03COBRA

Established Member
Originally posted by Vindication
I went with the Mcleod Twin disk as well. I haven't installed it but I'm sure its a lot better than that weak centerforce I have. :)
centerforce clutch :burn:

your the first person ive seen say anything bad about the centerforce. can you elaborate on what you dont like about it. im gonna need a new clutch very soon, and was considering getting the centerforce dual friction. i dont have a kb like you but im getting the apten and a smaller pulley , so i should be pushing 500 and 500 ish.

Shadowgray03

Snake Charmer
Established Member
Originally posted by maoun
i like the spec 3i, but most people don't
I dont think its that most people dont like it, im sure the clucth is a fine unit, it simply cant hold the power that it was made to hold and gets torched in a hurry by the KB gang. I myself also plan on going with the McLeod twin disk and 26 spline input when spring rolls around.

Jerryk

Halfshaft abuser
Established Member
Originally posted by fordmastertech
I have read alot of the post about clutches. Here is my combo and how I drive. What clutch do yall think would be best for my application.

Convertable. 2.80 upper. 6lb lower. Metco idlers, Throttle body, bypass, full exhaust, (no headers) JDM chip, 4.10's cold air kit.
I am leaving on the 6700 rpm rev limiter and having a 1.55 60ft times but the clutch went away at the last race. The time for the 1.55 60 ft pass was 7.01 in the 1/8. I am getting ready to pull trans and change the clutch. Is the Spec going to live for me or do I need to upgrade further. I plan on changing the input shaft as I read but clutches were really up for grabs. Thanks.

http://www.yonsonracing.com/fulton/hutch launch.MOV

What did you do to the suspension, that car never transfers the wieght back toward the front! That is a great looking leave. If you have 4:10 gears and you're launching at 6700 rpm I'd say you already have clutch slip given how heavy the car is and the 4:10 gears. That is INSTANT torque multiplication. So help us out, was that a vid of the 1.55 60' tached-out launch? Give us a vid w/ sound :)

Seriously though if your getting 1.55 60' and no tire spin I'd say your clutch is slipping slightly right at the start every time. 5-20 of those launches later and your clutch is finally toasted. How many times were you able to do this w/ the stock clutch? I have a SPEC Stage 2/3 hybrid, it takes forever to break-in and stop chattering. I am going to the track in the next 2 weeks w/ 11.5" wide slicks and will be attempting to get 1.55 60' times myself.. I'll keep everyone posted. Did you try launcing at 4500 rpm? Did you DUMP/side-step the clutch or let it up as the pedal followed the bottom of your foot up?

Jerry

fordmastertech

Established Member
info

That pass on the video was leaving at 5500rpms. I do not have a video of the 1.55 60ft. I have a time slip. Yall are right though, the car was bogging real bad. Even leaving on the rev limiter it still fell on its face. I was dumping the clutch. It made it 4 passes that day before the clutch gave up. I wish it had sound too. The guy that made the video was using some kind of small camara. Where can I find one of the twin disc McCleod? That is what I want to use. It sounds like the only one that will work in my application. Nothing is done to the rear suspension. What is available for them yet. I have had the car at other tracks but could not hook. This track was the first time the car actually worked. Thanks for the info

Jerryk

Halfshaft abuser
Established Member
You said it bogged on the 6700rpm clutch dump, yet the vid of the 5500rpm launch shows no bog, did you slip the clutch, or did it slip for you ;) and avoid a bog. And to clarify one more time, those were 275BFG's that you were launching on and getting 1.55 60' times? Try JDM as a source for the clutch.

Jerryk

Halfshaft abuser
Established Member
Do a search for Liberty Gear, their number is (313) 278-4040, ask for Paul and tell him you need a 26 spline input for an 03' Cobra.

Users who are viewing this thread