03 Cobra Engine noise - tick? knock?

Ourobos

Established Member
New guy, Hi. I just picked up an 03 Cobra, two owner, 55k miles. Has been modded, ported blower, smaller pulley exhaust, tuned etc. It has developed an engine noise. Left bank compression test dry AND wet (cold engine) :

#5 - 160 psi
#6 - 160 psi
#7 - 80 psi
#8 - 160 psi

Oil was visible on the #7 plug, and slightly on the #8. With the #7 coil disconnected, the noise is still present, so with no load and noise, I'm assuming it's not a wrist pin. With the #7 plug out, you can see little nicks or witness marks on top of the piston. My theory is the lack of coolant caused a #7 exhaust valve to stick open somehow, lash adjuster, heat, what not, and that the valve is barely touching the piston every time it's on that stroke. Also smoke is visible out the left tail pipe (little on the right, probably due to x-pipe). Which also leads me to think something exhaust valve related. Watch the videos and let me know what you guys think. I already have a lead on a 05 Aviator head I was going to swap in, it is a direct replacement, cams and all correct? Hope to be a more active user now that I have the new to me Cobra, and thanks.

Video :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITfrZnAHjiM&feature=youtu.be

Last edited:

WhippedOhThree

Established Member
I have that same noise idk maybe a lifter which is scary.
My buddy told me to drop a quart of oil and add a quart of Lucas it's really thick and it could possibly stop that engine knock. if not it could possibly be a lifter.

Posted via Topify on Android

Ourobos

Established Member
I'm under the impression that any oil much thicker than the recommended 5w20 will be hard pressed to move through the tight clearances on these engines, I could be wrong though. So is yours down on power or have you done a compression test?

Ourobos

Established Member
Oh.. Here's a few pics also for the passer throughers

03cobra1.jpg

03cobra2.jpg

03cobra3.jpg

Ourobos

Established Member
Thanks Torrence, been picking Robs brain on it, trying to finalize whether a rod bearing could be gone too, going to inspect the filter and oil tomorrow. Hoping it's just a head.

Ourobos

Established Member
My #7 piston had a broken ringland FYI.. ruined my head and scored my block. It's being over bored and a new head is on it's way FYI.. Will update you guys..

Users who are viewing this thread