03 cobra rebuild

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member
Very nice work. I'm not a big fan of changing the look of the 03-04 from the outside. But you did very nice work and it's not look you did it to an original Cobra. It more or less was a parts car and you fixed it. Very nice job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mkb116

Established Member
Great work man. It was a totaled car, if you wanted it to look like a saleen, so be it! Looks great.

Wings65288

Established Member
Party Liquor Posse
Wow that's impressive, very nice thanks for sharing dude

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Nice work and a nice transformation. I give you credit for doing it your own personal way. You breathed new life into a totaled Terminator.

Aaron175617

Established Member
Thank you all for your positive feedback! yea it is kinda funny if I take this car to a cars and coffee then the Saleen guys frown on the car because it is not a "real Saleen" and the Cobra guys don't like it because of the Saleen style so I have to park over by the vetts. But that's cool because I really "love" corvettes!

MineralCobra

Established Member
That's amazing work, most people would have swaped parts to another shell or parted it out. Nice to see it back on road.

mkb116

Established Member
Dude, those guys sound like a bunch of douche bag macho asshats. You did all that work yourself. How many "real" cobra or "real" saleen owners have that kind of talent. That really blows my mind.

Wings65288

Established Member
Party Liquor Posse
Lol yeah i gotta watch it again

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com - truly amazing

Aaron175617

Established Member
Dude, those guys sound like a bunch of douche bag macho asshats. You did all that work yourself. How many "real" cobra or "real" saleen owners have that kind of talent. That really blows my mind.

thanks, the problem is that they don't know that I rebuilt the car. they think that I just had someone put the Saleen stuff on a un-damaged Cobra, so I understand where they are coming from.

01yellercobra

Established Member
thanks, the problem is that they don't know that I rebuilt the car. they think that I just had someone put the Saleen stuff on a un-damaged Cobra, so I understand where they are coming from.
You should make a small photo album to put by the car showing the progress.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Aaron175617

Established Member
I hate to tell you guys this but this project really wasn’t that big of a deal. I have worked on cars for several years but only as a hobby never as a job. I have rebuilt or restored maybe 15 cars.

So what I saw when I first looked at this car? Well I could see that the chassis was true by the wheels and tires. They were un-damaged and they were all aligned and true. The car ran and drove so I drove it around a little and it felt good (fixed the air inlet first). The airbags didn’t go off so I new the damage was all low impact.

It obviously needed doors, fenders and bumper covers. What does it take to change them? Just a bunch of fasteners. Not much more skill level than changing wheels. The quarter panels took maybe a moderate skill level and they took a lot of time for me. If I was a carer body man I don’t think they would have taken much time. So that just leaves the radiator core support. I have changed some stuff like that on a 70 mustang I had a few years ago and I knew what it would take. Not much. Just drill or grind out the factory spot welds and spot weld the replacement parts back in. So I bought a spot welder. I am a good welder and have other welders but I did not have a spot welder. Oh yea, the windshield, that was something like $300 installed.

Then the paint. I am good at it and actually enjoy doing it because it is nearly done at that point. Painting a car does take some practice but it is not difficult.

When I bought it I was not sure if I was going to fix it or part it. I am happy that I decided to fix it and it is a lot of fun to drive it. My wife drives it most.

SJ SNAKE

Venomous
Established Member
Wow, you did an amazing job restoring that Cobra! I actually love the Saleen Body myself and it is one of my all time favorites. You have a lot of skill and knowledge into paint and body repair that I would categorize you as a "Professional." Glad your Wife is enjoying it.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread