03 cobra, rubbing/ clunking noise at low speeds cruising from rear?

holmes14

Established Member
I have a 03 sonic blue cobra and i notice that when say expecially when crusing in town at like 30-35, if i put it into 4th and just cruise i can rear this rubbing/clunking sound coming from the rear? It has bald drag radials on it right now so maybe thats it otherwise anyone else hear of this, if i accelerate it goes away, if i just coast it still does it, even if i take it out of gear. But cruising on the highway at 60-70 i hear nothing. Any ideas?

holmes14

Established Member
Its not like a jerking like only when starting or stopping acceleration, its just a continuous on and off thump/rubbing sound that seems like its coming from the rear. Only hear it when cruising at like 25-40 in like 4th just cruising, but ill but it in neutral and ill still hear the sound. He has a aftermarket gridle on the car im not sure why id have to ask the shop again but I didnt know if it was bald drag radials rubbing or something in the rear end or maybe just some normal noise. Any other thoughts?

THunterW

SGTSVT & SVTSGT
Established Member
I know this is a few years old but I just bought an '03 Cobra last week myself and my car is doing the same thing. At lower speeds it sounds like a constant "womp womp womp" sound from the rear end, doesn't seem to increase with speed. Dealer I bought it from says the gears might be worn, but it drives fine. I'm going to tear into the rear end and replace the gears and all bushings and seals and put new IRS bushings in and U joints and see if it fixes it.

Users who are viewing this thread