03 Cobra Sale Nightmare!

Majck123

Established Member
So I sold my Cobra on Friday, I purchased it in April just because I've always wanted one but I'm now looking to start saving up some money and picking up a new truck in the spring. I put less than 2,500 miles on the car but had since put a new clutch (Mcleod RXT), throwout bearing/ sleeve, rear wheels (10.5"), new rear tires (315 Toyos) and H&R springs. Originally posted for $19k which I know is a little high but I was in no need to sell so I waited, after about a month online I opened it up to offers.

Finally on Thursday I had a guy locally contact me and he wanted to check it out. I met him that night and took him for a ride to show him the power, he instantly fell in love. He offered me $17k. After a little bit of sucky negotiating on my part I got him up to $17,250 lol.

Now to where it starts getting nightmarish. Friday morning we get the deal done through his credit union, he follows me back to my place to pick up the car and he leaves. 15 minutes later I get a phone call, "This thing is leaking coolant!" This is the first I've heard of this so I told him I'd be right there to meet him. I arrive to where he has parked the car and we discover a hose on the back of the motor had popped off, looked like the clamp had slid off a while back. I really haven't driven the car much in the past couple months and normally I just cruise so it didn't see much boost or engine heat.

I gave him the tool box out of my truck and he got the clamp back on. I drove across the street and get him new coolant, we fill it up then start the motor and the leak seems to be fixed. I apologize MANY times and he tells me he will let me know how it looks later.

That was at about 12:30pm, I'm nervous the next couple hours but as 5pm comes around I start to figure everything is good. 5:30 he calls, "the supercharger pulley snapped!" I'm at a loss for words at this point. He lives about 35 miles south of me and he said he was on his way back into town and got 5 miles and it snapped. I can tell he is PISSED and I completely understand and continue to apologize. He goes on to tell me he needs the car by today (Sunday) so he can get to work. I tell him the best I can do is make some phone calls and try to find someone with a spare pulley, he agrees and tells me to call right back.

Amazingly after one call I got a line on a stock size pulley, this car has a 2.8. I figure it will get him by till a new 2.8 can be delivered. I'm not able to pick up the pulley till Saturday morning so I call him back and tell him I can get a stock size pulley and a new belt AND help him install them, this should hold him off till Tuesday when a new 2.8 pulley and belt will arrive "out of my pocket." He manages to drive the car back home and sends me some pictures, looked like the ring had snapped off the faceplate that holds it to the hub (I'll edit with a picture)

So onto Saturday. I wake up at 6am and head 50 miles east to meet this guy with the stock pulley and give him $20 for it then drive straight back towards my town and 30 miles south to his. I arrive at his house and find out he has hardly any tools and definitely no pulley puller. This town he lives in has maybe 3,500 people and one mom and pop auto parts store. I go there and find a double prong puller take it back and it doesn't work, won't get a grip on what was left of the pulley. So back to the store to exchange for a smaller steering wheel puller. Back to the car and this one has the same grip issues. He makes a few phone calls and finds someone who has some pullers and one that may work. However they're not going to be able to make it by anytime soon.

So me and this guy stand there just staring at the broken pulley and decide it would probably be better to just wait for the new one to arrive than have to remove two pulleys, I also tell him I will come back to help install. As we are discussing this he starts checking the other idlers since they can free spin without a belt on the motor and her finds two that the bearings aren't so good on. I tell him they aren't too bad but they also aren't too expensive and he replies "yeah I'll probably order them so we can do it all at the same time."

We say farewell and that I will keep in touch with the pulley tracking info. I get no more than 5 miles outside of town and receive a text "Hey bro with all the trouble with the car you think u could get the idlers n we will call it even what u think" At this point I'm pissed. I'm trying to be the good guy here and take care of him as to how I would want to be treated so I bite my tongue and tell him I will gladly order a new set of idlers HOWEVER I will not be coming back to help you install anything. He agrees to this and we continue on our day. After spending about $550 between parts and shipping this will hopefully be all settled out.

Sorry for the novel guys but I needed to tell my story. After this I don't think I ever want to make a personal vehicle sale again.

TBCobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
Damn that all sucks to hear. You did the right thing by helping him but who knows what he was doing when he got out of sight with your car. To me all sales are final. You took him for a ride and he agreed to everything, plus you sold it for a lot less than you were asking.

I wouldnt be paying for the idlers if it were me. I would keep the offer to help install but I wouldnt just be buying parts for it.

Majck123

Established Member
This guy knows my name, phone number, and the apartments I stay at and hes bigger than me. I was not about to step on his toes

I'll tell you man...that's pretty noble of you. Because I know I wouldn't have done that after finalizing the sale. Things break on cars all the time.

TBCobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
This guy knows my name, phone number, and the apartments I stay at and hes bigger than me. I was not about to step on his toes

Ehh doesnt matter how big he is with a 9mm in his chest.

96lasersnake

storm trooper'd cobra
Established Member
Thats a lot of headache! You went further to fix the situation than most people would, so the buyer should be happy with that. He has to realize that he bought a almost 10 year old performance car.

Majck123

Established Member
IMG957873.jpg

Last edited:

1o1proof

Established Member
Spun 2 bearings in my 03 the day I bought it, never even called the dude I bought it from. Was running the crap out of it and got what I deserved I guess. Point being, the guy your dealing with bought a used car....you have already done more than enough.

KYSVT

Banned
Nice of you, most people wont help any after the sale. I drove 8 hrs and traded cars (03 cobra for a 03 cobra lol) and as soon as i signed the title and finalized the sale (11pm) the car died (alternator went out) and the other guy said "welp good luck with that" and hauled ass. So i say you done pretty good.

CobRoush-00

Established Member
You did a lot to help him and I applaud you. However, I think I would have given him a discount of $200 and let him take care of his stuff.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
the fact it was a nightmare experience is on you op.

Planter

Banned
mine threw the rearend out 2 weeks after I bought it. the idiot had 4.10 gears in an 03 cobra, wrong pinion angle, and some kind of weak ass generic brand double adjustable control arms that were adjusted incorrectly. :nonono:

I went on to find out just how much shit was wrong with that car over the next few months, it was unreal the debauchery I encountered. and that's just the tip of the iceberg.

sadly, the tool is a member here. but he hasn't posted in a while. I shudder to think of what he did to my 93 mustang gt that was in excellent condition. shoulda kept the fox. had a badass 416 c.i.d stroker shortblock all ready to go in. 9.3:1, forged internals, blower/turbo ready. just needed heads intake, link lifter bars and some pushrods and the minor stuff.

03DontMach

Established Member
Wow man. That is insane. Bump that crap. Exactly what previous posters said. He bought as is and you have no idea how he drove it after he left and who cares if he is bigger then you. Obviously he needs to grow some balls and be a big boy and fix his own crap.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I, too, agree that you did more than you had to. Bill of Sale should have clearly said "as is with no expressed warranty". Unfortunate that a few things happened at once. Not only did this guy get a super deal on the car, but he now gets a brand new set of not-so-cheap idlers. I do hope that he doesn't call you again with some new complaint. Unfortunately you bought that set of idlers for him, so he might think that his has some form of a warranty now, versus a clearly stated "as is" purchase.

So with the pullies purchase you actually sold the car for $16,700. How many miles on the car?

Users who are viewing this thread