'03 Cobra Vert vs. Acura RSX

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Cheaper?? You have it backwards.

On an import like an RSX, everything is more expensive and everything breaks and needs to be upgraded. Engine, trans, diff, axles, chassis, PCM, you name it has to be modified or replaced. Do you have any clue how much it costs to build a Honda K-series to make 600-700WHP?? Apparently not my friend, because its astronomical.

All of my buddies and all the local guys have less in their motor builds than I do in mine; expensive sure but less expensive than building a v8 was my point.

Wildman113

Established Member
All of my buddies and all the local guys have less in their motor builds than I do in mine; expensive sure but less expensive than building a v8 was my point.

Still not correct.

Don't listen to your buddies.

The actualy costs to build those engines and the rest of the car is astronomical, parts are very expensive.

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Still not correct.

Don't listen to your buddies.

The actualy costs to build those engines and the rest of the car is astronomical, parts are very expensive.

Well they are either great liars or something isn't adding up.

I know that dss lvl5 2's with an eaton and a gear is $2k.

A built internals/heads/cams 4.6/5.4 is nearing 12k if you stay sc, if you go turbo....

A 26spline shaft with a spec 3+ and aluminum wheel is nearing $2k with labor

Full mm suspension is nearing $5k with all the trimmings.

Fuel is roughly $2.5k
Etc.

Meanwhile a built k20 is roughly 8k

Fuel is roughly 2k with electronics

Suspension is about $2.5k

Trans, diff, shafts, etc will run you about 5k thow. All in all you need about 17.5 to build a 10 sec rsx (that will trap enough for 9's) and about $23.5 on a cobra to run high 9's, if you wanna beat that rsx on the freeway you'll need 30#'s if your sc or upgrade to turbos and that's another 5-8k depending on the kit and trimming you plan out.

That all said; I drive a cobra because I like the cobra, if I just wanted speed I'd build an import and be done with it.

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
He probably thought oh look; an American car, I'll show him!

(pun intended as Accra's are American)

In all honesty, I've seen a lot of slow imports try and roll on faster cars, it's like they just wanna race even if they'll probably get slaughters for the rare chance that they can tell their buddies they killed a dipshit driver in an expensive car and label that driver a retard or whatever. Gey.

Wildman113

Established Member
He probably thought oh look; an American car, I'll show him!

(pun intended as Accra's are American)

In all honesty, I've seen a lot of slow imports try and roll on faster cars, it's like they just wanna race even if they'll probably get slaughters for the rare chance that they can tell their buddies they killed a dipshit driver in an expensive car and label that driver a retard or whatever. Gey.

Actually Acuras aren't American at all. They are 100% Japanese, what you were probably trying to say is the brand was concieved to help Honda sell more "upscale" cars in the US. Even though its blatantly obvious that they are just rebadged, overpriced Hondas anyway :beer:

Last edited:

Lone Star

Established Member
I lined up once with a new si at a light, the guy revved me I chuckled light turn green he punched it I let him get 3 cars then I took off and passed him in 2nd sliding sideways. Lets just say he turned off pretty quickly!

SecondhandSnake

Established Member

:shrug: All the guys I know have dumped a lot more into their Honda builds than I have in my Cobra clone build. And for a lot less power. They also suffer a lot more breakdowns, though that could be more driver/builder related.

Where I've been impressed is what some of the SRT-4/Neon guys are doing on the cheap. And I mean cheap. One guy was pushing just under 400hp in a little 1st gen Neon he had about $3000 into, car included!

Regardless, good kill OP. :beer:

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Ya Acura does change quite a bit from the integra though. Suspension, interior, styling, etc all get changed. It's like saying a gto/g6/solstice are just Australian/european, but we all know enough changes occur an accordingly call em american.

On the engine note theres definitely something to be said about reliability because 2.x litres will rarily be as reliable as 4.6/5.4/6.0/8.3 making the same power unless it's built to the hilt. on top of that, the cheaper price point for the car often means cheaper budgets for tuning like using a game boy with software vs a true $450 hand held or $1300 ecm (think FAST for fords). Tuning is the biggest reason for engine failures imo but obviously physics will maintain that less displacement isn't great when trying to hold more power.

That said, you only need ~375whp in an rsx to keep pace with 450whp cobras carrying a passenger and about 600whp to keep pace with a 750-800whp cobra, let alone 850whp gt500's. Same way a vette has about a 100whp advantage, a built rsx has about a 125-135whp advantage as I've seen 445whp rsx's put 3 cars on bone stock z06's to 130 but it might have just been driver mod more than anything.

Still though, I'm no Acura nutswinger, I just give credit/tell it as I've seen it when things are brought up. Like I said, I bought a cobra for a reason because fwd and high pitch exhaust notes arent really my bag.

2K1 SVT

Established Member
That said, you only need ~375whp in an rsx to keep pace with 450whp cobras carrying a passenger and about 600whp to keep pace with a 750-800whp cobra, let alone 850whp gt500's. Same way a vette has about a 100whp advantage, a built rsx has about a 125-135whp advantage as I've seen 445whp rsx's put 3 cars on bone stock z06's to 130 but it might have just been driver mod more than anything.

The one bad thing about high hp RSXs and Civics is that from a low roll they will spin like crazy.
I remember watching videos of the one RSX that went to TX2K11 with 700whp and he was spinning through 3rd gear.

soccerman002

99 SVT Cobra
Established Member
I had an '02 RSX Type-S that I put a small Greddy turbo on for fun on the street, nothing major like the kits you could get from Full Race, etc. I wanted to keep it as low key as possible. At 7-8psi it made 245whp and I ran a best of 13.4 @ 107mph on street tires w/stock clutch. I wouldn't have run it against a Terminator, but it was a fun car while I had it nonetheless. The K20 series motors by Honda are very stout and reliable.

155787_1596111815179_1007462601_31386949_2336224_n.jpg

155891_1596111935182_1007462601_31386950_1450825_n.jpg

Last edited:

BadBlue98GT

Established Member
I lined up once with a new si at a light, the guy revved me I chuckled light turn green he punched it I let him get 3 cars then I took off and passed him in 2nd sliding sideways. Lets just say he turned off pretty quickly!

There was an Si in front of me on the way home yesterday. It was red and he had some white dragons painted on the sides of it along with a million stickers from MSD, Jeg's etc. on the quarter glass. We came up on a slow car so he and I heard his weedeater kick down a couple gears and we both got over to the middle lane to pass. I dropped down to fourth at about 75-80 once we both moved back to the left lane in anticipation of him trying something. Sure as shit, he took off and I stayed glued to his ass at about half throttle. He got back over into the middle lane and I put the hammer down and let Patricia Eaton scream at him as I blasted off into outer space. I let off at about 115 mph. I slowed down and after he caught back up he went past and just gave me a smartass little nod.:bored: Rice-a-Roni.

Last edited:

rubicon04

SVT Poster
Established Member
The K series motors are incredibly stout. 500 whp all day on stock internals. A good amount of folks are pushing 700ish running 9's at damn near 160 with just pistons and rods no sleeves.

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
The K series motors are incredibly stout. 500 whp all day on stock internals. A good amount of folks are pushing 700ish running 9's at damn near 160 with just pistons and rods no sleeves.

Thank you, for a second I thought people were thinking I was crazy

Black*Death

Sleeping
Established Member
There was an Si in front of me on the way home yesterday. It was red and he had some white dragons painted on the sides of it along with a million stickers from MSD, Jeg's etc. on the quarter glass. We came up on a slow car so he and I heard his weedeater kick down a couple gears and we both got over to the middle lane to pass. I dropped down to fourth at about 75-80 once we both moved back to the left lane in anticipation of him trying something. Sure as shit, he took off and I stayed glued to his ass at about half throttle. He got back over into the middle lane and I put the hammer down and let Patricia Eaton scream at him as I blasted off into outer space. I let off at about 115 mph. I slowed down and after he caught back up he went past and just gave me a smartass little nod.:bored: Rice-a-Roni.

A nod of defeat is better than...

1.) a ricer fly-by

2.) looking straight ahead like you don't exist

3.) or taking the closest exit off the highway often in a completely unsafe way.

Nice kill by the way

serper3

Established Member

maybe 500 whp once... kinda like the 03 cobra twin turbo put down 1200 on the stock motor... once.

all the turbo acura rsx i see, stock motor make in the low to mid 300. they make about 160 whp stock, so at 1 bar, with perfect efficiency they would make just over 300 whp. granted they will have exhaust and other things, but they are no were near perfectly efficient. these motors run pretty high compression so they usually dont want to push more than 10psi..
i looked up fastest rsx's and they had worked everything, making 700whp. these are 2.4 cars yea maybe dipping into the 9s.. but also breaking all the time.
my buddy had a car built by blacktrax, local here, it made 600, lots and lots of money in the car, it was featured in jdm tuning etc.. it was always broken.. he would also usually get smoked by way slower cars from a roll just because no matter what he did, he couldnt hook up, or every now and then, he would break axles. powerband was not very useful either..

Wildman113

Established Member

Thats a JOKE.

K20's don't put down "500WHP all day with stock internals". Its a high compression engine designed for natural aspiration. Even on low boost its only a matter of time before it comes apart.

The engine was never designed with F/I in mind.

Gotta love how these Honda kids exaggerate everything, a 9 second 1/4 mile Civic with nothing more than pistons and rods :lol::lol::lol:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread