03 cobra vs. 03 z06

FOURCED

3 honks and I own you
Established Member
Originally posted by 03Sssnake
Love the sig FOURCED :beer:

Ah thanks. I actually rogued if from a friend of mine on another site... with his permission of course ;-) He drives a Procharged 96 coupe... with a whopping 9000 original miles on it :eek:

He is my padiwan learner in boost :D

Shannon

DD2000GT

VNMS 13
Established Member
Originally posted by 03Sssnake
Stirring the shit again my friend :beer: Sly is correct, a stock pullied snake with cold air and exhaust is not going to pull on a z06....well maybe on the moon.... it would be a very close. I only pulled 1-2 car lengths on sly from roll in 2nd with a 2.90 pulley, cai and exhaust. The Z06 ain't no slouch gents...maybe you guys have been racing old men that cannot row the gears...

I pulled two different new Z06's when I was stock pullied with a CAI and exhaust. One of them couldn't believe I was pulling him, so I did it five times in a row before he finally gave up and threw his hands up :-D This was on the highway with shifting having little to do with it. Not trying to stir up crap, just saying I know for a fact you are incorrect sir. Z06's are bad a$$ cars, but a stock pullied 03/04 Cobra CAN pull a 03 Z06.

Respectfully,
Dan

slythetove

Down the rabbit hole....
Established Member
Originally posted by DD2000GT
I pulled two different new Z06's when I was stock pullied with a CAI and exhaust. One of them couldn't believe I was pulling him, so I did it five times in a row before he finally gave up and threw his hands up :-D This was on the highway with shifting having little to do with it. Not trying to stir up crap, just saying I know for a fact you are incorrect sir. Z06's are bad a$$ cars, but a stock pullied 03/04 Cobra CAN pull a 03 Z06.

Respectfully,
Dan

I pulled a Z06 when I had a catback and X pipe on my Cobra also. No way I would pull on my Z06 with me driving though. Shifting has plenty to do with it on the highway too.

Take it from a guy who has owned both, and raced both, from both sides. With equal drivers a stock Z06 will take a Cobra with only catback and CAI every time. From stop or roll. Equal drivers.

MikeW

Established Member
Originally posted by cyaford
I went to the Z06FEST in Bowling Green last year and felt pretty good about my crappy runs after watching other members. I wheel-hopped my way to a 12.70@116mph. :cryying:

When you get your 03 lets hit the BG track and see what you can turn in the Stock 03. A stock 03 coupe in the SVTOA ran a 12.7 on his 1st time at the track stock down to the paper filter. His trap speed was only 112 though. Me in the heavy vert (stock) ran 13.3 at 108 witha 2.3 60 ft. I hope to do better next time...

I did have that black zo6 with the SC blow my doors off once he hit 3rd gear... I think he left the line in 2nd to be able to get traction

:rolling:

DD2000GT

VNMS 13
Established Member
Originally posted by slythetove
I pulled a Z06 when I had a catback and X pipe on my Cobra also. No way I would pull on my Z06 with me driving though. Shifting has plenty to do with it on the highway too.

Take it from a guy who has owned both, and raced both, from both sides. With equal drivers a stock Z06 will take a Cobra with only catback and CAI every time. From stop or roll. Equal drivers.

Sly - I know you are a good driver, and more importantly know how to drive your cars. But, at 50 MPH on the highway, there is only a few options you have in a Z06 (or the Cobra for that matter). I gave the guy 5 chances to get the right gear. I pulled him all five times. He did not just keep trying in the same gear, he was downshifting trying to find his sweet spot. I started pulling him immediately, so shifting speed wasn't even an issue.

Most stock Z06's I see dyno at 350 rwhp, and the CAI/exhaust Cobras are putting down around 420+ rwhp. Now, I know the Z06 is lighter by a few hundred pounds, but rolling at 50 mph, it is not enough to make up 70+ rwhp deficit - no matter who is sitting in the drivers seat. I can appreciate the fact you have solid experience in both, but I still have to disagree with your statement based on real life runs.

Now, from a stop, I would be more inclined to agree with you as weight difference comes much more into play at that point, and Cobra's are hard to launch hard. I have not had the honor to meet up with one at a stoplight or at the track yet to post my experience from a dig.

Later,
Dan

slythetove

Down the rabbit hole....
Established Member
I take no offense bro. I've been on both sides of this discussion.

If he knew what he was doing he wouldn't have to "find the right gear". ;-) At 50 MPH it's second.

I dynoed the Z06 bone stock to paper 356 rwhp.
My 03 Cobra with catted X, catback and CAI dynoed 405 rwhp.

My car weighs in at about 3100 lbs vs your 3700. That's more than a couple hundred, and it definitely does take a lot more hp to keep them even than most people think.

Remember, I'm not saying you didn't pull him. I pulled a Z06 in my Cobra also. Just a little, but it can be done.

However, it was the driver not the car. It's enough of a drivers race between a stock Z06 and a catback / CAI Cobra that it could go either way depending on who's driving better / harder.

I still say given equal drivers the Z will win.

Keep in mind that vs. a 2.80 and a 2.93 Cobra in my stock Z06 I only got pulled from 40 to 110 by about 1 and a half to 2 cars. Those cars were making 450 to 470 at the wheels with torque to match. 03Sssnake is one of them, as he's already said, and nuxx is the other.

Weight is a huge factor.

I raced another stock Z06 who's driver weighs about 30 pounds less than me, and I had a 150 lb passenger. He pulled 1 to 1 1/2 cars on me every single time from 45 to 120. That was less than 200 lbs difference. Cobra to Z is about 600 lbs.

Here's what I would do if I were you and really wanted to find out. Switch cars with the guy.

Or you could swap back to stock and come find me next time we have a get together in central Texas.

:coolman:

Last edited:

DD2000GT

VNMS 13
Established Member
Sly - I would love to get a chance to really drive a Z06 - I can't afford one and the sales guys won't let me really get on it during a test drive. Also, I think it is herasy to actually put the stock pulley back on once you've experienced the torque of a smaller one (unless you are needing to visit a dealership ;-) ). One of these days I am going to have to make one of the HRP trips with the DFW gang, maybe we could meet up then for some fun runs :beer: Even though I have a pulley, I still don't have the right mod - the driver mod - as you can tell from my times in my sig.

Later,
Dan

Last edited:

cobraRcraig

Established Member
guys maybe i'm wrong but i've seen 2 of our cars run 12.40-12.60 with nothing but a cat-back. But that was on DR's so i don't know?

slythetove

Down the rabbit hole....
Established Member
Originally posted by cobraRcraig
guys maybe i'm wrong but i've seen 2 of our cars run 12.40-12.60 with nothing but a cat-back. But that was on DR's so i don't know?

DRs make a difference for sure. You'll notice when anyone posts a really good "stock" time the first question is usually "street tires or DRs?".

slythetove

Down the rabbit hole....
Established Member
lol

That was already posted in this thread. You also have to remember we are talking about slightly modded Cobras (catback and CAI) vs stock Z06s. That article is stock to stock.

:beer:

TheYellowCobra

Established Member
DRs make a difference for sure. You'll notice when anyone posts a really good "stock" time the first question is usually "street tires or DRs?".

I ran a 12.53 at 113.5 MPH completely stock right down to the paper filter and ran a 12.39 at 115.5 MPH with just a FIPK and catback. Both of those runs were with the stock F1 tires. I have a pair of drag radials on order and can't wait for them to come in. I'm going for 11's with the stock pulley.

slythetove

Down the rabbit hole....
Established Member
Originally posted by TheYellowCobra
I ran a 12.53 at 113.5 MPH completely stock right down to the paper filter and ran a 12.39 at 115.5 MPH with just a FIPK and catback. Both of those runs were with the stock F1 tires. I have a pair of drag radials on order and can't wait for them to come in. I'm going for 11's with the stock pulley.

Incredible driving, and I'm betting incredible conditions too. Well done! :beer:

Chonger

The Korean Connection
Established Member
I'd say a stock Z06 is pretty equal to a Cobra w/a CAI and catback. Most of the tests of a Z06 I have seen have them trapping at about 115. The last MT issue I saw for an 04 Z06 ran a 12.4 @117. That is hauling ass for a bone stock car!!!

When comparing cars I really don't pay attention to 1/4 mile times because they reflect more on the potential of the driver while the trap speed reflects more on the mechanical potential of the car itself.

Take that 12.4@117 Z06 and add a full exhaust (headers, midpipe, catback), a CAI kit, and good dyno tune and I see the Z06 trapping at 120 and maybe more. That is pretty F'in close to the average pulley'd Cobra in the 450-460 RWHP range.

I love Vettes as much as I love my Cobra. I just happen to own a Cobra at this time.

TheYellowCobra

Established Member
Incredible driving, and I'm betting incredible conditions too. Well done! :beer:

Thanks. The 12.39 was back in May when it was still a little cooler. It was 67 degrees and 78% humidity. I can't wait for the cooler weather in October and the addition of drag radials.

slythetove

Down the rabbit hole....
Established Member
With that time in those conditions on street tires, I would say you have a real shot at breaking into the 11s on drag radials. That would be really really sweet on a stock pulley!

SDC

9s are a yawn
Established Member
Great times TheYellowCobra. But those aren't common, they're freak times. Comprable to the freak times the, completely stock with stock tires, z06s are putting out with drivers like J-Rod. (11.90s and 11.80s@118mph)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread