03 cobra vs. 03 Z06

DKS2814V

Moderately Modified
Established Member
Quik Z06 said:
Haha yeah its funny how people get bent out of shape if the Cobra loses, so what. I have a Cobra and I lost to an Sti, who cares. Would I have liked to win yeah of course, but I couldnt get traction so I lost its not a big deal. I know from personal experience (and no not just my Z06) I have driven others and the Z06 always felt faster to me than any stock Cobra I have driven. Man I cant wait to get the Z dyno'd, now I hope it makes low #'s!!

LOL, I could give two shits what you guys THINK you know... I could careless if your wife is a better driver than you... Its not hard to push the pedal all the way down. The guy had exhaust for sure, but I didn't stop to talk to him.... 1) I just had my windows tinted and 2) he drove off after slowing down from 130....

I can give Z's the credit where its due. I love the cars to be honest, but on this particular day, he was staring at Cobra taillights....

JMD0346

Established Member
I dont think anyone would argue that stock with everything being equal the Z will win. When is everything equal? They are close enough in performance that on the street it could go either way. IMHO and experience if you are with in 50 rwhp it will make for a good street race. Im talking stop light to stop light stuff. Hell my bro's lightning is hell on a short street run. It has hurt alot of feelings. I have to get into the top of second bottom third to really start pulling on him. He's run a best of 12.80 to my 11.40.

StangJason

Established Member
Quik Z06 said:
Haha yeah its funny how people get bent out of shape if the Cobra loses, so what. I have a Cobra and I lost to an Sti, who cares. Would I have liked to win yeah of course, but I couldnt get traction so I lost its not a big deal. I know from personal experience (and no not just my Z06) I have driven others and the Z06 always felt faster to me than any stock Cobra I have driven. Man I cant wait to get the Z dyno'd, now I hope it makes low #'s!!

Man if you lost to a stock STI your Cobra has major problems. Just today I toyed with an STI that didn't really look stock (not so stock looking intercooler, exhaust were visible). Coming off an on ramp onto the interstate I see the puff of I'm full throttle smoke as he stabs the throttle and I quickly lay mine to the floor then I quickly have to back off and on the throttle to keep from running him over (only one lane was free so I couldn't pass). Overall I think I would have handed him his butt when I had just a CAI and catback.

Quik Z06

Established Member
StangJason said:
Man if you lost to a stock STI your Cobra has major problems. Just today I toyed with an STI that didn't really look stock (not so stock looking intercooler, exhaust were visible). Coming off an on ramp onto the interstate I see the puff of I'm full throttle smoke as he stabs the throttle and I quickly lay mine to the floor then I quickly have to back off and on the throttle to keep from running him over (only one lane was free so I couldn't pass). Overall I think I would have handed him his butt when I had just a CAI and catback.

LOL, the STi wasnt stock. He's one of my buddies and I know what mods he has done. As for my loss, he got me off the launch (I miss my AWD!!) but after I was done spinning, I was reeling him in hard, by the time we were close to 1/4 mile I was at his door flying by him. Not to mention that was the first time racing my car, If we had raced from a roll I would have killed him, but this was from a dig. His car runs mid to high 12's so believe me, it has enough to beat most Cobras 1/4 mile. I love it when people assume things. There is nothing wrong with my car believe me. Actually he raced a guy on this board as well "cobraboy169" I believe thats his name in his 98 Cobra with drag radials, gears etc and 100 shot and gave him a good race. Last night I messed with an Evo from a roll, it wasnt even funny we got next to eachother and when we hit it I pulled like 3-4 cars on him instantly before letting off.

Oh...also if you seen an intercooler, it has to be upgraded the Sti's dont come with front mounts, and most front mounts that Ive seen for Sti's actually make you lose power.

Quik Z06

Established Member
dks281...Your missing my point, no need to get all bent out of shape damn. For the last time if both cars are stock most of the time the Z06 is going to pull a stock Cobra, its not rocket science. Yes I can see a Cobra pulling a Z06, ok fine you beat him, Ive seen them lose but its NOT the norm thats all im saying. Whats so bad about me saying that, damn im starting to think guys on here take things more personal than the import boards.

Brad00L

Established Member
A STOCK Cobra and a STOCK z06 , the z06 will walk it from any kind of roll race. From a dig it's a drivers race. I had 04 Cobra w/upper&lower ,tune, CAI, x-pipe and cat-back on BFG's in ran 7.18 @ 99. Just got a 02 Z06 w/ zip tie mod it ran 7.52 @ 93.24 1.75 60ft on the Kumho MX's street tires. How many 03/04 cobras run that stock NONE.

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
in the acceleration department...

stock terminator ~ stock c5

stock terminator < stock c5 z06

Quik Z06

Established Member
^ ok cool yeah the one I was looking at was at a Ford dealership, dont remember the name. It was $26K with 10K miles on it

DKS2814V

Moderately Modified
Established Member
Quik Z06 said:
dks281...Your missing my point, no need to get all bent out of shape damn. For the last time if both cars are stock most of the time the Z06 is going to pull a stock Cobra, its not rocket science. Yes I can see a Cobra pulling a Z06, ok fine you beat him, Ive seen them lose but its NOT the norm thats all im saying. Whats so bad about me saying that, damn im starting to think guys on here take things more personal than the import boards.

Lol, no hard feelings chief.... It seems daily that someone posts on here and the next guy flames him for calling bs.... Granted some stories seem a little far fetched, but I can vouch on the claim that a Cobra can walk a Vette!

There seems to be quite a few guys here backing up the Z's and I'll be the first to do so (I really like the older Z's). However, I would bet on a Cobra any day of the week vs. a 01/02/03 Z06...

I think you may be thinking that the guy I raced had some kind of serious modding going... I can be sure he had exhaust and I don't know what else... However, when I see him in my rear view at my bumper and I'm still pulling, I'll take a Cobra for the win...

Last edited:

Brad00L

Established Member
So your saying stock to stock a cobra will outrun a z06. Your full of it!! I've had both cars I know. How many stock Cobras trap 117-118 NONE. Have any of you actually raced a Z06 or drove one for that matter.

Big Ben

stangsofsouthflorida.com
Established Member
All I know is I ran a Z06 this past Friday on the highway. He was in front of me and jumped on it and I followed (from about 60mph) and I could definitely have run over him but we encountered traffic and I could not pass and both had to shut down. All I know for sure is that he had exhaust. My mods are in my sig.

bunk22

Established Member
Big Ben said:
All I know is I ran a Z06 this past Friday on the highway. He was in front of me and jumped on it and I followed (from about 60mph) and I could definitely have run over him but we encountered traffic and I could not pass and both had to shut down. All I know for sure is that he had exhaust. My mods are in my sig.

Not doubting your story but how do you know it was a Z06? Could have been an 99-01 FRC Vette.

Quik Z06

Established Member
^ I agree, if your trapping 113, if hes on it your not going to be running him over they trap higher than that stock. I have some crappy vid on my phone of our cars running you'll see how hard our Z06 pulls on our Cobra (and yes we'll get the Z06 dyno'd soon for the haters) I'll post it up in a bit.

Quik Z06

Established Member
Cobra vs Z06

Me vs our Z06, sorry about the vid, it was out in the country so pretty dark but once we get going you'll clearly see the Vette.

Last edited:

Big Ben

stangsofsouthflorida.com
Established Member
Quik Z06 said:
^ I agree, if your trapping 113, if hes on it your not going to be running him over they trap higher than that stock. I have some crappy vid on my phone of our cars running you'll see how hard our Z06 pulls on our Cobra (and yes we'll get the Z06 dyno'd soon for the haters) I'll post it up in a bit.

Well for sure it was a Z06, I saw him from the side. Agreed about your trap comment, but all I can tell you is this guy could not get away from me and it was actually quite a few runs we made, only I could never have room to pass him. Also I think I can trap way higher, that run was coming off at idle and granny shifting.

Quik Z06

Established Member
Thats cool, im not doubting you I was just stating the obvious. Anything can happen on the street as the saying goes, but until I run a stock one, you can see in the vid my experience with them.

Big Ben

stangsofsouthflorida.com
Established Member
What does your Z06 trap?

I want to go run mine again, feels a lot stronger with new Borla Stinger catback I put on this weekend.

Quik Z06

Established Member
Dont know what our Z06 traps at, all I know is its a lot faster than my pullied Cobra :( We'll have to get down to the track this summer and see what they run.

Users who are viewing this thread