03 Cobra vs 06 Cobalt SS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Midnight_Cobra

It's an Atomic Serpent!
Established Member
From the comments

"submitted by 154314 on May 31, 2006 score (0)

No sound, + owner of a FWD econopoop + slow moving speedo = Liar."

haha very true

LS1PUSSOUT

Banned
I ran a red Cobalt SS around here awhile back. We went about 5 or 6 times from a 40 roll and it was the same every time. I was on motor, from 40mph the cobalt pulled me about a half of a car from the start. I guess because of the roots blower. But after I got into about 3800rpm I started pulling slowly. From 4500 - 5800rpm my Gt just owned the cobalt by about 1-2 cars at the top of third gear. Into 4th gear I just kept pulling. I have stock gears, so I only shifted one time and he shifted like 2 or 3 times. It gave me a chance to make up some ground on him.

I think it was modded somewhat because it was louder and this was a young guy. He said I had to have been spraying on him, but I said no it was on motor! They still didnt believe me. Supposedly this guy has beat some mustang GTs (probably 96-98 version).

Camaro99SS

Established Member
Cobalt SS's are a joke. I can't believe GM even bothered producing an SS version knowing full well that an SRT-4 Neon or the upcoming Caliber would murder it. On top of that, what could have been a nice little commuter car with some power but without the SS name and spoiler has ended up being the epitomy of domestic rice.

Jason

SHONOFF98

Established Member
Camaro99SS said:
Cobalt SS's are a joke. I can't believe GM even bothered producing an SS version knowing full well that an SRT-4 Neon or the upcoming Caliber would murder it. On top of that, what could have been a nice little commuter car with some power but without the SS name and spoiler has ended up being the epitomy of domestic rice.

Jason

+1

Lets go take our domestic muscle and drag all these P.O.S.'s off the face of the earth

P.S. Why in the **** would chevy make 2 ss versions on that horrendous car????

mav_tu

Established Member
I guess the race could be legit. Maybe they agreed that the Cobalt would race as normal, and the Cobra would ONLY race in 6th gear. 8th gear, maybe?

Camaro99SS

Established Member
SHONOFF98 said:
+1
P.S. Why in the **** would chevy make 2 ss versions on that horrendous car????

For the same reason they built the sad example of a sport truck, the Silverado SS and some other cars that ruin the SS name...

BTW, what cams do you have, and do you have any porting done do the heads? I rarely see N/A 4.6's and don't really know what they're capable of without a power adder.

Jason

awax_cobrastang

Acura Performance B!TCHES
Established Member
Delaware (formerly mass-pats fan for life)
Camaro99SS said:

Jason

hey dumbass they dont even make the srt-4 anymore.

Bad06SS

Established Member
Camaro99SS said:

Jason

Lol. Actually, it's a driver's race between a Supercharged Cobalt and a stock Neon SRT-4 in a straight line. Around a roadcourse, handsdown cobalt. I don't know where you're getting this "murder" idea. You also don't know what the calibur srt-4 will do since it's not even out yet, so quit speculating. I do agree there shouldn't be 2 SS nameplates. As for the cobalts being a joke, that's an opinion. With light mods, I've got a 12-sec daily driver that I've gotten as high as 36 mpg with on the highway, with cheap insurance and a cheap payment. While the FWD sucks at the strip, it's great in the bad weather. If you're wanting a car for just drag racing, this car isn't it. However, if you want a great daily driver that gets great mpg and is fun to drive with cheap insurance, this is it. Have a nice day. :)

Last edited:

Orions96cobra

Established Member
Bad06SS said:
Lol. Actually, it's a driver's race between a Supercharged Cobalt and a stock Neon SRT-4 in a straight line. Around a roadcourse, handsdown cobalt. I don't know where you're getting this "murder" idea. You also don't know what the calibur srt-4 will do since it's not even out yet, so quit speculating. I do agree there shouldn't be 2 SS nameplates. As for the cobalts being a joke, that's an opinion. With light mods, I've got a 12-sec daily driver that I've gotten as high as 36 mpg with on the highway, with cheap insurance and a cheap payment. While the FWD sucks at the strip, it's great in the bad weather. If you're wanting a car for just drag racing, this car isn't it. However, if you want a great daily driver that gets great mpg and is fun to drive with cheap insurance, this is it. Have a nice day. :)

wow, just wow.

SHONOFF98

Established Member
Camaro99SS said:
For the same reason they built the sad example of a sport truck, the Silverado SS and some other cars that ruin the SS name...

BTW, what cams do you have, and do you have any porting done do the heads? I rarely see N/A 4.6's and don't really know what they're capable of without a power adder.

Jason

I have VT stage 2 cams with no port work on the heads (stock heads), it put down 300/307 and ran a best of 12.9 @109 with a shitty 2.0 60ft on BFG DR's, I just did some suspension work and now it should be running mid 12's with a 1.7-1.8 60ft

Tyler

nitrovic

Established Member
Bad06SS said:

Have you lost your mind? A SRT-4 would walk a Cobalt, give me a break.

Bad06SS

Established Member
nitrovic said:
Have you lost your mind? A SRT-4 would walk a Cobalt, give me a break.

Nope, I'm good. My car dyno'd 233whp stock, and if you read the cobalt forums, there's MANY stock supercharged cobalts that beat srt-4's. It's close enough to be a driver's race, I don't care what the uneducated people say. The topend is a little stronger on the SRT-4 however.

!!!PainTrain!!!

Mattis for POTUS
Established Member
Well first off I actually think that the cobalts are not bad looking cars. Call me crazy but i actually like the way they look. And believe me or not but i actually saw a Cobalt SS race a SRT-4 and beat it. I was behind them and it looked like they went from a 25 roll. The SRT jumped out about 1/2-1 car length and then the cobalt started gaining on him and passed him at about 75-80mph i think. Not sure but it looked like the SRT was giving it everything he had and still couldn't come out on top? Don't know if he Fugged up the shifting or what but i saw it with my own two eyes.

Bad06SS

Established Member
!!!PainTrain!!! said:
Well first off I actually think that the cobalts are not bad looking cars. Call me crazy but i actually like the way they look. And believe me or not but i actually saw a Cobalt SS race a SRT-4 and beat it. I was behind them and it looked like they went from a 25 roll. The SRT jumped out about 1/2-1 car length and then the cobalt started gaining on him and passed him at about 75-80mph i think. Not sure but it looked like the SRT was giving it everything he had and still couldn't come out on top? Don't know if he Fugged up the shifting or what but i saw it with my own two eyes.

It's very possible. Most of the people on here seem to think it's impossible, but it's not. They're very close stock for stock, I'm not sure why people are just assuming it can't happen.

nitrovic

Established Member
Bad06SS said:

So your saying with "light" mods you have a 12 second Cobalt that has gotten 36mpg?? Your full of shit kid. What, do you drag it backwards across the carpet and let 'er rip?

nitrovic

Established Member
Since you have a 12second SS with "light" mods i'm sure you are already a member of Cobaltss.com. Here are a couple posts from the members there that have Cobalts. All posts are in the "drag racing" section if you dont believe me. Even with mods (like the last post on the bottom) they are hitting low 14's. And no, these werent isolated incidents. I didnt have the room to post all the high 14 times. Srt's are very low 14 to high 13 cars stock bud, you wont beat one unless a complete moron is driving. So how about your imaginary "12's with light mods"? Stop your bull shitting. You, young man, have been punked. Good night.

(""My Cobalts SS/SC Track Slips!!""
Ight well just got back from the track today first time ever to run at a track and first time for the Cobalt to although I do run in the street all the time. Everything was alright once out of first had rained night before it's a 2 hour drive to the for me and I called and was told track was good and dry and Car Wars was still on which is Braket Racing I hate but oh well anyways My first time out I got a 14.90 @ 95.88mph which was real good and I also won to a 5.0 which was awsome lol well my next run after that was my best of the day 14.71 @ 96.98 also won that race and was against a old Monte Carlo. I go in the call with the big boys just because I knew that the track was bad and would get worse all my other times were 15.15 @98.47 which was agaist my friends Scion tC Won it to lol I had 6 races and 6 slips 4 wins 2 Loses)
60': 2.394
330: 6.658
1/8: 9.982
MPH: 73.30
1000: 12.846
1/4: 15.193
MPH: 97.55

SECOND RUN
r/t: .153
60': 2.582
330: 6.803
1/8: 10.079
MPH: 74.65
1000: 12.886
1/4: 15.183
MPH: 99.16

THIRD RUN
r/t: .563
60': 2.275
330: 6.247
1/8: 9.473
MPH: 75.49
1000: 12.259
1/4: 14.52
MPH: 101.26

FOURTH RUN
r/t: .072
60': 2.499
330: 6.559
1/8: 9.809
MPH: 74.91
1000: 12.618
1/4: 14.929
MPH: 98.32
Yes, stock wheels and tires. I did lower the tire pressure down to 20-25psi from around 40psi on all my other runs...which accounts for my low trap speed. I actually had a higher trap speed on my 14.6 run than on my personal best lol.

I ran a 14.6 at 96.26mph with a 2.3 60ft a 9.51 1/8th at 75.33mph
completely stock, i was hesitant on taking it to the drag strip after owning a camaro that used to run low to mid 13's i didnt want to be dissapointed but the ss held its own. Launching a front wheel drive is a pain in the A$$.
i took a picture but this forumn says the file is too big i will email to who ever but if you know how to make it smaller please let me know have no problem posting it. the run is just rolling out of the hole becasue i know if you guys know these car's dumping it you can;t some crazy wheel hop and spin.
also does anyone know who makes a clutch for this thing i hate the one that is in it its blows

Right Lane
.295 r/t
2.351 60'
6.252 330
9.432 1/8
76.93 mph
12.182 1000
14.495 1/4 mile
96.74 mph

the car is stock and it was 40 degrees i was shifting at 6,200 and the car weight was 3,240 and i'm about 200 and i didn't gut anything.

My self, a few buddies and a few guys from the Ontario Cobalt Club went to St. Thomas dragway today and I was looking to improve on my time from mid summer which was a best of 14.80 at almost 96 mph. It was raining like shit down here in Toronto and the forecast in St. Thomas called for a sunny, clear afternoon so we figured WTF let's go! The launchpad was still really damp from the rain and second gear could not hook up for the life of me! It was so goddam frustrating as I have the Fujita CAI intake in now and was consistently running 14.7's at 99 mph or so with a best of 14.68 at 99 pmh. I sat and watched for a little while til the sun came out and then a half hour before the track closed I said F**k IT, ONE MORE TIME!!! I ran a 14.7 again!!! The guy handing out slips told me to do one more and he'll wait so I did and got a decent launch but it felt like every other and when I got the slip......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread