03 Cobra vs Challenger SRT8

B7BlownSnake

Established Member
This was one of the more fun races I've had. I was coming home last nite in my basically stock 03 Cobra, and saw a gorgeous Plum Crazy Challenger SRT8 in front of me, going kind of slow. I passed him, gave him a thumbs-up, and continued on.

We got stopped at the next light, he shifted into neutral and revved (automatic, and the exhaust he had sounded absolutely evil). I got a decent launch, but he got ahead of me through the intersection. I quickly caught him and passed him before the end of 1st. I ran it up to around 90-95 (this is a safe steet to do so) and he was just falling further behind. It was a serious beat-down!

I got on the freeway, and he followed me. We went from about 70 til 110, and again I easily took him. Now, the funniest part of the story is coming.

He followed me off the freeway and pulled next to me at a light. He asked if the car was stock. I said yes, just better tires. He asked if I was sure. I said yes, it was a Cobra, they're all this fast. He said "Oh, so that the expensive 427 one?" I almost started crying from laughing. I said "No, it's an 03 Mustang, not a 60's sports car!"

Now I love when I catch the few people who don't recognize an 03-04 Cobra, but this was the first time I've heard that! Definitely a fun one.

black03kbcobra

Flawless Victory!
Established Member
Ha! Thats awesome dude. Seems like the 03/04 cobras are kinda falling off the radar. Here recently when I have mine out I have someone ask me what year is that and all that stuff.

BAD351W

Established Member
Good kill! Funny how that guy thought it was a 427. I guess its good that people dont know, gives you a slight advantage against people who think it might be some base stang. Those Challengers sure are beautiful cars though.

arc00ta

Established Member
Good kill. Those challengers sound brutal, and probably the only car around today that can pull off purple or lime green.

beeradd

Established Member
He might have been asking if it were the Roush 427R they were selling a few years back?

Catfood

Established Member
There are a lot of people out there that just don't know jack about cars. At least they are enthusiasts...somewhat. People always ask if I drive a 944 with the 6 cylinder. lol. Best case scenario they think its some sort of Ferrari.

cpSTACK

Established Member
He probably assumed he had the baddest car around, good thing you showed him otherwise. Funny how most non-Ford enthusiasts don't even know what a Termi is. They seem to put all 94-04 mustangs in the same category, clearly not the case. Nice kill

derockgt

Established Member
its funny when other mustang owners dont know what the cobras are either. guy in a s197 with bolt ons thought he would walk me

Mr.Venom

Quick with Boltons
Established Member
Not tryin to make you out as a liar, but he out launched you and you reeled him in at the top of first gear? Am I reading that correctly?

Root1022

100 Shot, 1 Kill
Established Member
Good kill, and unless people really have an understanding of the 03/04 cobras they all just think we're regular ol slow mustangs...its nice to prove people wrong lol. I've gotten a couple of wide eyed stares before lol.

B7BlownSnake

Established Member
Thanks for the replies. It does seem that less and less people know what a Terminator is. Can it really be 8 years ago when these cars were the baddest things on the street?

duststang

Do U Kno The Terminator?
Established Member
'haha. It really is funny how all these people driving newer sports or tuner cars think they can automatically take us 03/04 cobras. lol. Everytime someone pulls up wanting to race, i look over at their car and usually laugh because they think im just driving a regular ole stang. lol. Nice showing the challenger. :) Keep it up

cpSTACK

Established Member
Thanks for the replies. It does seem that less and less people know what a Terminator is. Can it really be 8 years ago when these cars were the baddest things on the street?

Still are the baddest around to me. Maybe not the fastest stock anymore but that's a pulley and tune away. Can't beat em in the looks department that's for sure. I've got to get on the bus one of these days, until then I'll just continue to enjoy my SN95 and read about other member's kills.

YELL03

Established Member
Nice Kill!

I had a 2003 Cobra in Zinc Yellow back in 04.

With just a CAI, Catback, and a canned SCT Tune it made around 410rwhp and ran 12.48 on DRs granny shifting.
My buddy powershifted it to a 12.34.

Added a 2.8 pulley and an online tune and it made 445rwhp.
Ran 12.2@116+ on a 1.9 60' granny shifting

I loved that car!

If I had another I know I wouldn't be able to resist at least getting a cai, catback and a tune.....

and a Pulley:-D

nlterminator

Mello Yellow
Established Member
Nice Kill!

I had a 2003 Cobra in Zinc Yellow back in 04.

With just a CAI, Catback, and a canned SCT Tune it made around 410rwhp and ran 12.48 on DRs granny shifting.
My buddy powershifted it to a 12.34.

Added a 2.8 pulley and an online tune and it made 445rwhp.
Ran 12.2@116+ on a 1.9 60' granny shifting

I loved that car!

If I had another I know I wouldn't be able to resist at least getting a cai, catback and a tune.....

and a Pulley:-D

The previous owner of my 03 ZY ran 11.9's at 119mph with intake, lower 8lb pulley and diablo tune on worn out slicks.

Ive added an exhaust and a custom tune so have picked up about 50hp more. Interested to see what it runs next year.

Users who are viewing this thread