03 Cobra vs M6

9746Cobra

spinnin4Vs
Established Member
I pulled onto a long private road at about 85mph and then slowed down to a cruise at 75mph. In my rear view I see a late-model, dark colored BMW coming up kinda quick. He gets right behind me for a few seconds, backs off, changes lanes to get on my left, accellerates like he's going to pass but instead matches my speed. I saw an "M6" badge on car and I knew the "M" series were BMW's highest performance line. I knew a little about M3's but didn't know anything about M5's or M6's.

So I'm trying to see inside this guys dark tint and see a well-dressed dude motioning something, and I figured he wanted to run. So at about 70mph I went to third and waited for him. His car jerked forward a little, then hesitated, and a moment later I hit hit. He hit it about the same time. Hard to say who left first because I was watching the road ahead but it was very close either way.

I pulled passed him for the short duration of 3rd gear, went to 4th and kept pulling him. Soon I could have safley changed into his lane ahead of him though I didn't. I could see him in both mirrors, looked down I saw I was doing about 100mph and braked sharply to show it was over. I'd guess I had him by three or four cars.

He appeared to back off it once I started braking and then he passed me. I returned to cruising at 75mph and he kept cruising way ahead of me. I checked his badging to be sure what it was and it was a late-model "M6".

When I got home I looked it up. Hmm! Nice car the m6! I was surprised how well my car did against it. The M6 is full of gimmicks to keep techy people interested. For example, the M6 has eleven "drive modes". Why? I guess five or six isn't enough? It also has a "power button" that raises the HP from 394 to 500. No idea how that works but thats what I found. Maybe this guy forgot to hit the "power button"?:dw:

One test of the M6 I read talked about how neat it was that you could select "performance launch" and other modes but by the time you did all that the Camaro SS you were next to at the red light has already left and you were still at the same red light but the next cycle!

The M6 is nice, though I don't care for it's looks. This seemed to be a case of two drivers not knowing really what the other guys car was. Which is favorite kinda of race. Nice that I won of course!

Since someone is going to ask my car has an intake, mid-pipe, weld-in mufflers, and some weight saving mods. I had about half a tank of fuel, so my weight was about 3685lb with me in it today. If the M6 driver was 200lbs and had a full tank, he'd be in around 3925lbs I think.

Usually I don't post kills, but this one seemed a little cooler since it was against $95,000 of Hun performance!

9746C

Last edited:

9746Cobra

spinnin4Vs
Established Member
At the bottom of the post. Intake, o/r midpipe, weld in mufflers, weight saving mods. Thats it. Thinking about a pulley lately though.

9746C

quad

Established Member
Nice kill but why race from such a high speed?? You guys should have gone from 30-40mph.

300bhp/ton

I just like cars!!!
Established Member
:bs: :bs: If that M6 was really an M6 and in the 507bhp mode.

No way in hell did your car pull 4+ cars (enough to pull infront of him) from 70-100mph run. Even the frigging Starship Enterprise couldn't do that in that time scale.

An M6 is capable of trapping over 115mph in the 1/4 mile and from a roll is probably even more deadly due to the sequential 7 speed gearbox.

To pull that kind of distance in what 3 seconds or so you'd need to be trapping 125mph+.

Again Nice kill, but its not that your car did so well against the M6 but some other reason.

C6 Z06

Established Member
300bhp/ton said:
:bs: :bs: If that M6 was really an M6 and in the 507bhp mode.

No way in hell did your car pull 4+ cars (enough to pull infront of him) from 70-100mph run. Even the frigging Starship Enterprise couldn't do that in that time scale.

An M6 is capable of trapping over 115mph in the 1/4 mile and from a roll is probably even more deadly due to the sequential 7 speed gearbox.

To pull that kind of distance in what 3 seconds or so you'd need to be trapping 125mph+.

Again Nice kill, but its not that your car did so well against the M6 but some other reason.

I agree. I know BMW M's very well and with your mods, you will not take the M6. If he was in reduced power mode, yes but at full power that is a very fast car. It's actually a little faster then the new M5.

yohan04

Cobra Fanboy
Established Member
It is quite possible that the M6 owner was still under break-in or had it in the P400 setting. A stock or near stock Cobra isn't going to cover that much distance on a car that traps 117+ mph. And believe me, above 60mph, that's when M5/M6 really starts to stretch it legs. But a race is a race nevertheless, nice kill.

Patisi

Established Member
FYI Did you see the Speed Channel's "On Demand" BMW M series test where they tested the M6 amongst other BMW Mcars In the M6 Road Test, the test driver on Camera had the M6 up to 194 MPH on the Autobahn. It has one of the wind sheild speedo read outs, like the Z06 has. I don't recall if it is 6 or 7 speed car. But this guy car had that car booking.

Now, I am not sure if the US models are detuned or not. But even if they are, they would still be very competitive state side.

svtjunkie

you've got red on you
Established Member
I have heard that there is like a limiter or something of that sort and if you remove it it will run 205mph. BMW has a charity event that they do every year where you get to drive all of thier cars (except for the M's) and however many miles you put on the cars is how much money they donate too a charites(sp). I personaly think that the 6 series is by far the best car that bimmer makes and that the 7 series is a HUGE waste of money. According to the people that were doing this event the 550 is the fastest of the non M series.

03 TOPLESSSVT

Established Member
I toyed around with my buddy in his 06 M5 and they are very quick. A little low on torque but they still pull nice with the M mode on. I have driven the car on several occations and it doesnt seem to pull as hard as my pullied 03 vert with other mods but it is deseptive because of the pure level of refinement. It takes me like 5 minutes just to set the car up into performance mode. I did get him a car + from a dig but it was a short set of lights and we both spun the tires heavily. He loves to poke fun at me for the whine of the Eaton. I bust him about the sound of the car at idle. V-10's just dont sound good idling. When you punch it though, it sounds like an Indy car. Very slick automobile. But then again so is the Cobra. He also has a Z-8 that doesnt get on the road as often as he would like but when the time is right...we'll run them. :coolman:

SVTCOBRAKID

Established Member
Woah, I didn't know those things were so fast. I think I might leave those alone until my pulley and port. Anyways take it easy

Doc GTO

Local 10 sec Caddie
Established Member
300bhp/ton said:
Even the frigging Starship Enterprise couldn't do that in that time scale.

Now that is funny!

Nice kill. In the new M6 you have to go threw a series of menus to get the car in 507 BHP Sport mode, otherwise it is in the normal 400 horse mode and shifts nice and smooth unlike the sport modes F1 lightning fast shifts!

SCM3

Established Member
9746Cobra said:
I pulled onto a long private road at about 85mph and then slowed down to a cruise at 75mph. In my rear view I see a late-model, dark colored BMW coming up kinda quick. He gets right behind me for a few seconds, backs off, changes lanes to get on my left, accellerates like he's going to pass but instead matches my speed. I saw an "M6" badge on car and I knew the "M" series were BMW's highest performance line. I knew a little about M3's but didn't know anything about M5's or M6's.

So I'm trying to see inside this guys dark tint and see a well-dressed dude motioning something, and I figured he wanted to run. So at about 70mph I went to third and waited for him. His car jerked forward a little, then hesitated, and a moment later I hit hit. He hit it about the same time. Hard to say who left first because I was watching the road ahead but it was very close either way.

I pulled passed him for the short duration of 3rd gear, went to 4th and kept pulling him. Soon I could have safley changed into his lane ahead of him though I didn't. I could see him in both mirrors, looked down I saw I was doing about 100mph and braked sharply to show it was over. I'd guess I had him by three or four cars.

He appeared to back off it once I started braking and then he passed me. I returned to cruising at 75mph and he kept cruising way ahead of me. I checked his badging to be sure what it was and it was a late-model "M6".

When I got home I looked it up. Hmm! Nice car the m6! I was surprised how well my car did against it. The M6 is full of gimmicks to keep techy people interested. For example, the M6 has eleven "drive modes". Why? I guess five or six isn't enough? It also has a "power button" that raises the HP from 394 to 500. No idea how that works but thats what I found. Maybe this guy forgot to hit the "power button"?:dw:

One test of the M6 I read talked about how neat it was that you could select "performance launch" and other modes but by the time you did all that the Camaro SS you were next to at the red light has already left and you were still at the same red light but the next cycle!

The M6 is nice, though I don't care for it's looks. This seemed to be a case of two drivers not knowing really what the other guys car was. Which is favorite kinda of race. Nice that I won of course!

Since someone is going to ask my car has an intake, mid-pipe, weld-in mufflers, and some weight saving mods. I had about half a tank of fuel, so my weight was about 3685lb with me in it today. If the M6 driver was 200lbs and had a full tank, he'd be in around 3925lbs I think.

Usually I don't post kills, but this one seemed a little cooler since it was against $95,000 of Hun performance!

9746C

He would still take you even if he was in P400 mode with the mods u listed. Unless you trap over 114 which i think it trapped in P400 mode. 3-4 cars in 30mph, with his gearing and redline, he probably wasnt trying..But im sure your car sounded better

S8ER01Z

Established Member
Patisi said:
FYI Did you see the Speed Channel's "On Demand" BMW M series test where they tested the M6 amongst other BMW Mcars In the M6 Road Test, the test driver on Camera had the M6 up to 194 MPH on the Autobahn. It has one of the wind sheild speedo read outs, like the Z06 has. I don't recall if it is 6 or 7 speed car. But this guy car had that car booking.

Now, I am not sure if the US models are detuned or not. But even if they are, they would still be very competitive state side.

Yes that was VERY sweet to watch.

Users who are viewing this thread