'03 Cobra vs. new Challenger.

16kOrBust

Established Member
Nice kill, man. I like the looks of those new Challengers but they literally weigh more than my 93 Ford Aerostar minivan (weighed it recently). That just makes me want to puke.

Deuuuce

Established Member
really a stock to stock race? okay?
I out ran a stock auto srt8 challenger with my now sold bolt 06 gt. Stock terminator would still rape!

I've read about 110-111mph trap speed S197 GTs but I thought they had gears too? Not sure.

X100000

An SRT8 would be about as close as an F-Body gets to beating a terminator (still wouldn't happen unless the driver sucked ass).... the R/T doesn't have a prayer...

True on the R/T. But I wouldn't say sucked ass. I'm supposed to run him too since the 300 wasn't in the optimal gear/powerband. Not that it would change the outcome, just a little closer.

Is it a rape? You decide.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7431254&postcount=66
http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7432161&postcount=69
http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7436172&postcount=73

Deuuuce

Established Member
Nice kill, man. I like the looks of those new Challengers but they literally weigh more than my 93 Ford Aerostar minivan (weighed it recently). That just makes me want to puke.

As a huge four door, it's understandable. But I agree, way, way too heavy for a 2 door. The smaller Camaro weighs in at 3800+ as well?

It's just too much.

16kOrBust

Established Member
As a huge four door, it's understandable. But I agree, way, way too heavy for a 2 door. The smaller Camaro weighs in at 3800+ as well?

It's just too much.

Not that I'm defending the new Camaro (I think it's funny how every time I bring up the weight of a certain car, people jump on me about the new Camaro even though I really couldn't care less about it :??:), but there is a big difference between ~3,800 and ~4,200.

I agree, the Challenger's weight suggests that it's a large four door sedan, but it's not. My brother's new G8 IS a large four door sedan and it weighs 3,990 pounds. What the hell is up with the freakin Challenger?

Last edited:

S8ER01Z

Established Member
True on the R/T. But I wouldn't say sucked ass. I'm supposed to run him too since the 300 wasn't in the optimal gear/powerband. Not that it would change the outcome, just a little closer.

Is it a rape? You decide.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7431254&postcount=66
http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7432161&postcount=69
http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7436172&postcount=73

Well I am being a bit harsh but lets face it... driver to driver the Termi should win every round.. so unless the driver in one is much better than the other it should end the same way every time. Of course that is not how it goes down on the street but until I see some SRT8s pounding out mid 12s over and over again I have to say it's Termi > SRT8 regardless of how close it might actually be.

Deuuuce

Established Member
Not that I'm defending the new Camaro (I think it's funny how every time I bring up the weight of a certain car, people jump on me about the new Camaro even though I really couldn't care less about it :??:), but there is a big difference between ~3,800 and ~4,200.

I agree, the Challenger's weight suggests that it's a large four door sedan, but it's not. My brother's new G8 IS a large four door sedan and it weighs 3,990 pounds. What the hell is up with the freakin Challenger?

The Camaro is an example of a modern 2door from another company also being overweight. I believe it does share the platform with the G8? I could be wrong. I don't know how much the LS2/LS3 Camaro (SS?) will weigh either.

The Challenger and G8 have about the same size wheelbase. The problem is the Challenger is on the LX platform and although shortened, it's still tall, wide and has structural reinforcements due to the 2door conversion. It wasn't the best thing, but obviously the least expensive route.

My fully loaded Charger weighed 4100lbs almost empty, so I expect the Challenger to weigh a little less. There is probably over 100lb variance depending upon options, tires, etc.

Well I am being a bit harsh but lets face it... driver to driver the Termi should win every round.. so unless the driver in one is much better than the other it should end the same way every time. Of course that is not how it goes down on the street but until I see some SRT8s pounding out mid 12s over and over again I have to say it's Termi > SRT8 regardless of how close it might actually be.

I agree, and it wasn't harsh. It should always out-ET the SRT. The ONLY hope, is from a roll, in the optimum part of the powerband, and even then the Termi should always win.

S8ER01Z

Established Member
I agree, and it wasn't harsh. It should always out-ET the SRT. The ONLY hope, is from a roll, in the optimum part of the powerband, and even then the Termi should always win.
:beer:

I think we both know we are on the same page with all this stuff. :)

willys srt8

Established Member
SB VENOM it got it for 32k and change after all was said and done. but i got it used w/2500 on the clock. i originally put a down payment down on a GT500 but i got a letter 8 mos later after it was agreed on for MSRP that said that i would have to pay an additional 20k for market markup or i could go get my money back. so i went and got my money back and told them to get bent. then i found a beautiful red 03 10th anv. cobra and they wanted 33k. my 02 gt became unpractical to drive. it was more race car than daily driver and zero room for the dirt bugs. so, i just took the best of both worlds and ended up with the SRT. i'm happy.

Last edited:

SSSSIKH

I ♥ BOOST
Established Member

yup...well said...stock for stock there is no way a srt-8 can beat a terminator...not possible.

burnzilla

Established Member
yup...well said...stock for stock there is no way a srt-8 can beat a terminator...not possible.
They both run high 12's stock, its very possible.
And the 6 speeds will be faster.

When its stock for stock, stick for stick that will be a good run considering the SRT8's great trap speeds and anyone who doesn't think so is lying to them self.

Last edited:

SB VENOM

Loves Boost
Established Member
I could very easily be proven wrong but I have yet to see a stock SRT8 run in the 12's, got any vid's?

HotRodK

Gone to the Dark Side
Established Member

I have a timeslip and witnesses who know otherwise. Nothing is impossible and anything less than 1/2 second can be made up with an awesome R/T, and a better 60'..:rolling:

Jroc

Established Member
They both run high 12's stock, its very possible.
And the 6 speeds will be faster.

When its stock for stock, stick for stick that will be a good run considering the SRT8's great trap speeds and anyone who doesn't think so is lying to them self.

With a good drive people have run mid 12's in stock Terminators. MM&FF ran a 12.43 in one.

Look at it like this, the common consenses(or whatever that word is) with a Terminator is in actuality it makes around 430 BHP. Most stock ones dyno'd between 360 and 380 stock, and many even more than that.

Lets just say a Terminator weighs 3,650 lbs, and a Challengers weighs 4,150 lbs. Thats a 500 lb difference and if they are putting down close to the same power then I think the Terminator has the advantage. You have to think 500 lbs is about the difference between a Terminator coupe and a C6Z. :idea:

Deuuuce

Established Member

burnzilla

Established Member
With a good drive people have run mid 12's in stock Terminators. MM&FF ran a 12.43 in one.
Its inappropriate to use excellent times as a median for a general comparison.

Lets just say a Terminator weighs 3,650 lbs, and a Challengers weighs 4,150 lbs. Thats a 500 lb difference and if they are putting down close to the same power then I think the Terminator has the advantage. You have to think 500 lbs is about the difference between a Terminator coupe and a C6Z. :idea:
Even if the Vette and Mustang had the same power and weight, the Mustang would lose.
A Corvette is made from ground up, its not a touched up Mustang.

4VandHemiKiller

Established Member
Its inappropriate to use excellent times as a median for a general comparison.

Even if the Vette and Mustang had the same power and weight, the Mustang would lose.
A Corvette is made from ground up, its not a touched up Mustang.

Deuuuuuce has done nothing but try to build a reputation for his beloved SRT8s on this board based on a singular, outlandish example of an SRT8 1/4 mile.

Also, I own a Vette and your second claim is easily one of the most ridiculous statements I have ever heard.

That is unless you're referring to autoX, in which case the Vette will almost always hold an advantage of either the Mustang or F-Body for a given HP/weight ratio.

S8ER01Z

Established Member
I have a timeslip and witnesses who know otherwise. Nothing is impossible and anything less than 1/2 second can be made up with an awesome R/T, and a better 60'..:rolling:

Look I realize we have all seen piss poor times posted from terminators and we love to hold on them for our own satisfaction but to take them to heart is a bit much.

Just because some people can't drive to save their lives and post up 13 second time slips doesn't mean it's a 13 second car... or that it should be. You don't see me running around bragging that I am a terminator killer because some guy here locally only runs mid 13s and SUCKs at driving. It's rediculous...of course an SRT8 can beat a terminator if this or if that happens... remove the 'ifs' and think about it. I've heard of guys in stock S197 cars bragging about killing Z06s... that doesn't mean it's a close race...just that said driver failed at driving. You can spin things all you want but you think your 13.3 pass is close enough to kill a terminator? my 13.1 won't get it done so I don't see how you are pulling it off unless the driving of the terminator simply can't drive. The problem is people are comparing -1000DA passes from SRT8s (in the 12s with 110mph traps) to passes by terminators that can be made all summer long (in the 12s with 110+ traps)... eliminate variables, same conditions, equal drivers... sorry it's not going to the SRT8 here.

BoostFiend

Say NO to FUPA!
Established Member
Look I realize we have all seen piss poor times posted from terminators and we love to hold on them for our own satisfaction but to take them to heart is a bit much.

Just because some people can't drive to save their lives and post up 13 second time slips doesn't mean it's a 13 second car... or that it should be. You don't see me running around bragging that I am a terminator killer because some guy here locally only runs mid 13s and SUCKs at driving. It's rediculous...of course an SRT8 can beat a terminator if this or if that happens... remove the 'ifs' and think about it. I've heard of guys in stock S197 cars bragging about killing Z06s... that doesn't mean it's a close race...just that said driver failed at driving. You can spin things all you want but you think your 13.3 pass is close enough to kill a terminator? my 13.1 won't get it done so I don't see how you are pulling it off unless the driving of the terminator simply can't drive. The problem is people are comparing -1000DA passes from SRT8s (in the 12s with 110mph traps) to passes by terminators that can be made all summer long (in the 12s with 110+ traps)... eliminate variables, same conditions, equal drivers... sorry it's not going to the SRT8 here.

I gotta agree with you here. When the SRT8 guys can run consistant high 12's then we can say it's a good match up. :beer: Oh and this isn't directed at you but the guy you quoted. For the 9 billionth time, r/t has no bearing on your E/T. In a heads up race yes, treeing the other guy will help you win.

Last edited:

burnzilla

Established Member

Also, I own a Vette and your second claim is easily one of the most ridiculous statements I have ever heard.

Fiberglass body, superior aerodynamics and ergonomics's, superior engineering/manufacturing and much better build quality make a Corvette a Corvette.

Users who are viewing this thread