'03 Cobra VS. New GTO!

SVT8U

Established Member
Well all let me start with a little backround. Take notice that this is my 2nd ever post. Im glad that it could be on such a good topic as this one. I just picked up my silver 03 coupe about 1 1/2 weeks ago and I love it more every day! I went the whole first week without being able to enter into any 'display of speed' challenges. I was looking, but it seems that none of the ls1's or STI's that I came across were game. D*amn all of you guys that got your terminators and already smoked all of the worthy competition! It seems no one wants to run my car becasue they know what it is and how bad they got smoked by the last dude in a terminator! Anyway- there i go Hijacking my own thread alreay-

So last Saturday I detailed my car and had it lookin all nice and purdy. I was on my way to pick up my girlfriend after she got off work. She works off of the street here in town that everyone cruises on the weekend. So I pull up to a stop light and I am the first car in the right lane. Im just chillin groovin to my Led Zepplin cd, and I glance over at the car that pulled up to me in the left lane. It is a guy that I went to high school with, and he is driving a black GTO. This car was sweet looking! We exchainged compliments on each others cars, and a couple of friendly revs. I look forward toward a failry open strech of road in fron of me and ask him, " so you wanna run 'em or what?" and he just laughs and says, "I guess we have to." By this time I have the biggest stupidest grin on my face and I am stoked about finally finding a car to run me. As hard as it was I told him not here becasue there are many po-po on the street busting the hoards of ricer **** that think they are hardcore street racers. He agreed with me and proceeded to follow me to the local race track.
We merged onto the five lane concrete test track that happened to be the next exit and proceeded to line 'em up. It was a busy track and traffic prohibited us from going fro ma dig. (must have been a test and tune night or somethin cuz there waz a bit of traffic). So we line 'em up at 40, he gives the three honks and then they're off! I left it in 4th (just got my car and I'm trying to be nice to it)and mashed the gas and that eaton started screaming. To my suprise, the goat got about 1/2 a fender on the launch which i madde up after about a second. We stayed almost dead even till about 110 when we shut down due to slower racers in front of us. Another thing that suprised me, this car sounded mean! THe whole time I am thinking im gonna smoke him cuz a Gto is a 5.7 350 horse.... bla bla bla. My car has a steeda CAI and a Magnaflow cat-back, so i was kinda suprised when we were dead even.
Everyone knows that rock paper scissors is best 2 outta 3, so we adapted these rules to our little 'contest'. 2nd time we line em up at 40, I drop it in 3rd, he gives the 3 honks and we go. I spin badly-stupid stock goodyears.... GRRRRR....- he pulls about 1/2 a car then I hook and BAM! Felt like someone lit a rocket under my ass! In about 2 sec I made up the difference and started running away from him. I pulled him hard. He caught back up (no ricer flyby by the way-bump for him) and we lined em up again. from 40, me in 3rd agian we got similar results. He gives the 3 honks and then ---Houston we have liftoff! I didn't spin as badly as before. he didn't jump me like round 2, I just spanked him like a red hedded step child. I shut down at 100 and he was no where to be found!

He cauhgt up and we got off the track and pulled over in a nearby parking lot to check out the competition. Well, I found out why his car sounded so good. I aksed him what mods he had and he said stock. hmmm. Brand new GTO is 6.0 400 hp. News to me! These cars are sweet. Now they have dual exhaust and the new hood looks mean with the twin scoops. The interior is frickinnice too. I was so focused on driving and not putting my car into the divider, that I wasnt watching my mirrors and I didnt see how much I beat him. I didnt want to tell any lies so I asked him what it looked like from his view. He told me the second run was about 5 cars when we shut down and the third I had about 6 or so cars on him and he just gave up cuz i was running away so fast. Keep in mind I shut down at 100 on the 3rd run. Something intresting i didnt know about the new goats. They come stock with 245 tires. That seems kinda bunk to realase a car w/ 400 hp with little meats. Also, his car was an A4. I also couldnt belive that GM would relase a 400 hpcar with an auto. Thats kinda cool though, cuz he will never miss 3rd in a drag race. We talked a bit more, drooled over each others cars then left the parking lot in matching plumes of white smoke.
Rember at the beggining when I said i was on the way to pick up the gf? Yeah neither did I. LOl. I was so :pepper: after he met at the light I completely forgot. she was pissed that I was 1/2 hour late, and said my excuse of spanking a goat wasnt good enough. Oh well. i was still all like :pepper:

redfire03 svt

Established Member
Why would you run at 40mph in 4th and then 3rd, you should be in at least 2nd, maybe even 1st, and then you would have put football fields on him.

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
you will find 2nd soon enough.

but im confused on the hole track thing? you called it a track but they way you described it sounded like a highway. all the tracks i have been to charge you to get in then you have to pass tech, then you wait to run from the light. you do not get a running start from your choice of speed. also when your running on the track you are the only ones on the road and do not have to slow down for traffic. you just slow after you hit the lights at the end of the 1/8, or 1/4 mile. were you at a race track? if so what were your times?

Thrust

Established Member
Sounds like you had alot of fun. If you are doing a roll race under 60mph, then you should be in 2nd gear. Your car will pull like crazy.

SVT8U

Established Member
I know i should be in 2nd and spank him good, but i creamed him in 3rd. We exchanged #'s and will be doing this agian. So the way he sees it there still might be hope for him..... muhahahaha. Besides, as much as I pay for this car I'm gonna try and be fairly nice to it and not run the poo out of it. lol. I will be singing a MUCH different tune when the warranty is done.....
ON D BIT- You may call them freeways or interstates or whatever whre youre from, but we call it a 5 lane concrete track. maybe my sarcasm wasnt clear enough.

QuikGT

Banned
im calling a lil bs here....theres no way in third gear at 40 with stock 3:55 gears you would catch up to him that quick and pass him when on the first run you were dead even.......it would take you longer than a second to get in your power range for one...something is fishy....and especially if you knew how to drive your car...why would you shift into 3rd at 40 if anything you should barely be out of 1st...if its cuz it was from a roll you should def. went down to second....

slowbra001

**** a Ford
Established Member
must have been a slow ass LS2. wow.... 40mph roll, and you were in 4th for the first round? that would put you at like 1500-1800 rpm ?!?!? drop that beast into second/4500rpm and hold on. second gear rolls are pretty serious in a SLOWBRA. maybe the GOAT driver was in over drive too? i would think taking off/lugging around in 4th @ 40mph would be more harm to the engine then a couple 2nd/5800rpm blasts.

x NOODLES x

Big Hitter da LLama!
Established Member
SVT8U said:
You may call them freeways or interstates or whatever whre youre from, but we call it a 5 lane concrete track. maybe my sarcasm wasnt clear enough.

That's awesome!!!

I'm gonna start using that now!! :lol:

JDsfastGN

Established Member
QuikGT said:
im calling a lil bs here....theres no way in third gear at 40 with stock 3:55 gears you would catch up to him that quick and pass him when on the first run you were dead even.......it would take you longer than a second to get in your power range for one...something is fishy....and especially if you knew how to drive your car...why would you shift into 3rd at 40 if anything you should barely be out of 1st...if its cuz it was from a roll you should def. went down to second....

:werd: There is just no way you are gonna even beat a 14 second car being in 4th at 40, or even 3rd gear against a new GTO.

SVT8U

Established Member
JDsfastGN said:
:werd: There is just no way you are gonna even beat a 14 second car being in 4th at 40, or even 3rd gear against a new GTO.
believe it bud. It happened. His car is an auto so you cant blame the driver mod for him. Just floor it and go.

like I said. Just got the car, and Im still trying to baby it rather than run the piss out of it. Im new to the 6 speed, cuz this is my first. starting in 3rd from 40mph he disappeared from beside me and was beaten BAD. <-- this by his own admission. And as I said in an earlier post--- why run him in 2nd when I can beat him in 3rd. It gives him hope in the future. didnt you hear the muhahaha part? Anyway were are both friends and It was all in good fun. He lost, I won, and we were both just fine with that cuz it was FUN.

Anyone notice how the GM guys are calling the bs? Guess theve gotta stick up for their bretheren. Oh well. someone has to.
again- as I said in an earlier post we are going to do this agian. Maybe next time I can get a camera crew in my car. Extra weight of 3 or 4 more people should help him a bit. lol. Anyone in St. Louis with a video camera? neither of us have one, but id love to get some vids for all of the naysayers.

QuikGT

Banned
actually im a ford guy...see my sig where it says ford mustang gt??? yea that would make me a ford guy....i keep right up there with modded 03 cobras and i have 4.10 gears and theres no way from a 3rd gear 40 roll or 4th gear 40 roll you could put cars on anything with over 350 rwhp....sorry that just doesnt happen...4v dont make power til higher rpms...so ur telling me that you put lengths on this 400 hp car at 1800rpms??? highly unlikely...at that rpm youd probably be lucky to be putting out 200rwhp......nice try tho :poke:

edit: and at the point of racing you didnt know youd be faster so why would you shift into 3rd or 4th when you hadnt beaten him before...i dont doubt the terminator will beat a goat i just doubt you did it in 3rd or 4th gears at 40mph...

Last edited:

Zentenk

Established Member
05 GTO's are unbeatable, everyone knows it has an LS2 which = 2 LS1's. That is double the unbeatableness.

JDsfastGN

Established Member
SVT8U said:
believe it bud. It happened. His car is an auto so you cant blame the driver mod for him. Just floor it and go.

like I said. Just got the car, and Im still trying to baby it rather than run the piss out of it. Im new to the 6 speed, cuz this is my first. starting in 3rd from 40mph he disappeared from beside me and was beaten BAD. <-- this by his own admission. And as I said in an earlier post--- why run him in 2nd when I can beat him in 3rd. It gives him hope in the future. didnt you hear the muhahaha part? Anyway were are both friends and It was all in good fun. He lost, I won, and we were both just fine with that cuz it was FUN.

Anyone notice how the GM guys are calling the bs? Guess theve gotta stick up for their bretheren. Oh well. someone has to.
again- as I said in an earlier post we are going to do this agian. Maybe next time I can get a camera crew in my car. Extra weight of 3 or 4 more people should help him a bit. lol. Anyone in St. Louis with a video camera? neither of us have one, but id love to get some vids for all of the naysayers.

call me what you want, im not a GM nutswinger, i know what 03s are capable of , and in the proper gear you would beat an 05 GTO without question, especially an auto. But starting in 4th gear etc... its BS, or there is something very wrong with his car. If you were in 4th gear he should have jumped out at least 3-4 lengths on the initial jump as his torque multiplication in the proper gear would have been a lot greater than your 4th gear low rpm torque. I just read too many stories about people in mildly fast cars (mid 12s etc) running down low 13 second cars like its nothing when they are in the wrong gear, or spun through 1st 2nd 3rd etc.... its all BS. Even running a car you are significantly faster than, if you give them a huge advantage, chances are your not gonna get him unless you take it to 130 especially being in the wrong freakin gear.

Doc GTO

Local 10 sec Caddie
Established Member
SVT8U said:
I know i should be in 2nd and spank him good, but i creamed him in 3rd. We exchanged #'s and will be doing this agian. So the way he sees it there still might be hope for him..... muhahahaha. Besides, as much as I pay for this car I'm gonna try and be fairly nice to it and not run the poo out of it. lol. I will be singing a MUCH different tune when the warranty is done.....
ON D BIT- You may call them freeways or interstates or whatever whre youre from, but we call it a 5 lane concrete track. maybe my sarcasm wasnt clear enough.

Good kill. 40 mph roll in an A4 is going to be in 2nd off the power curve for the goat. That guys is new to racing that thing. The A4 without a tune is a dog for downshifting and TM but you guys know that. Tell your buddy that he needs a tune and a few bolt-ons and then you can have a closer, more challenging race!

Oh yea - for you 2nd gear with some drags!

Users who are viewing this thread