'03 Cobra VS. New GTO!

delmarsteelers

Established Member
Good Kill but, I can't believe you actually ran with a car carrying 350+hp starting in 4th at 40mph roll. What the h@ll were you thinking doing that anyway. H@ll at 40 I would be in first. The part that gets me you say you broke traction in 3rd gear starting at 40mph. I know you can beat that car, but I think your excitment that day made you lose site of really what happen.......

65mph_Roll

Established Member
delmarsteelers said:
Good Kill but, I can't believe you actually ran with a car carrying 350+hp starting in 4th at 40mph roll. What the h@ll were you thinking doing that anyway. H@ll at 40 I would be in first. The part that gets me you say you broke traction in 3rd gear starting at 40mph. I know you can beat that car, but I think your excitment that day made you lose site of really what happen.......

I agree with delmarsteelers: the excitement of the day has blurred the accuracy of your recall. If you were going from a 40mph roll in 4th, and you guys did the 3-honks, and the 400hp GTO had an automatic—especially a GM automatic, which are great autos—and the GTO floored it, he would kill you.

If it didn’t automatically shift down to 1st, it would have certainly shifted to 2nd, and smoked any bozo (not calling you a bozo) who would roll from 40 in 4th!

Did the GTO not floor it??

Also, owning an ’04 Cobra, and having much experience with rolls, 40mph in 3rd will not smoke the tires (unless you rev’ed it and dumped the clutch which you state you wouldn’t be doing as you are babying it until the warranty runs out). 40 is clearly 2nd gear territory, especially against a 400hp car.

If the GTO floored it at 40 with an automatic, you would need to be in 2nd to beat it, unless you are seriously modded.

65mph_Roll

Established Member
JDsfastGN said:
call me what you want, im not a GM nutswinger, i know what 03s are capable of , and in the proper gear you would beat an 05 GTO without question, especially an auto. But starting in 4th gear etc... its BS, or there is something very wrong with his car. If you were in 4th gear he should have jumped out at least 3-4 lengths on the initial jump as his torque multiplication in the proper gear would have been a lot greater than your 4th gear low rpm torque. I just read too many stories about people in mildly fast cars (mid 12s etc) running down low 13 second cars like its nothing when they are in the wrong gear, or spun through 1st 2nd 3rd etc.... its all BS. Even running a car you are significantly faster than, if you give them a huge advantage, chances are your not gonna get him unless you take it to 130 especially being in the wrong freakin gear.

I agree, You better have a ton of power advantage to spot someone a gear (or two!)

redsvtcobra

Established Member
The biggest thing that got my attention was the smoking of the tires in 3rd gear at 40mph... :nono:

Ironhand

Banned
A stock 03/04 Mach 1 will out run a new GTO. With a good driver that knows his gears.

Congrats on the new Cobra BTW.

Red98CobraStang

Got Torque?
Established Member
I beat an 04 GTO by about 1 1/2 cars. Pulled him nicely with the new 4.10's in their. Was some old guy trying to show off to a 19 year old kid in a cobra, hehe. little did he know I wasnt stock. We revved at eachother and I think those cars sound like a pickup truck. NASTY!!!

GH1086

Established Member
Ironhand said:
A stock 03/04 Mach 1 will out run a new GTO. With a good driver that knows his gears.

I don't think a Mach 1 will out run an LS2 GTO but it will out run an LS1, as long as the Mach 1 has a good driver, the best 04' GTO time I have heard of is like 13.16 or something while I have heard of stock Mach 1's going in the high 12's. But basically a stock '04 GTO and a stock Mach 1 are a driver's race with the edge to the Mach. And as for this kill, I smelling some BS here too, there is no way he would have caught up and pulled away so quick if he was in 4th gear especially since like the LS1 the LS2's are damn good up top.

TORNATIC!!

Established Member
GH1086 said:
I don't think a Mach 1 will out run an LS2 GTO but it will out run an LS1, as long as the Mach 1 has a good driver, the best 04' GTO time I have heard of is like 13.16 or something while I have heard of stock Mach 1's going in the high 12's. But basically a stock '04 GTO and a stock Mach 1 are a driver's race with the edge to the Mach. And as for this kill, I smelling some BS here too, there is no way he would have caught up and pulled away so quick if he was in 4th gear especially since like the LS1 the LS2's are damn good up top.

From a roll the LS1 GTO should start to pull on top end. At the drag strip the Mach is "quicker".

TORNATIC!!

Established Member
Ironhand said:

Umm, no. A Mach 1 can hang with a LS2 GTO but if the GTO guy drives right the 400 hp GOAT will pull away as speeds increase. Ain't no stock Mach 1 out running a well driven LS2 GTO. In a 1/4 it's a driver's race but after that forget about it.

Htown05

Established Member
TORNATIC!! said:
Umm, no. A Mach 1 can hang with a LS2 GTO but if the GTO guy drives right the 400 hp GOAT will pull away as speeds increase. Ain't no stock Mach 1 out running a well driven LS2 GTO. In a 1/4 it's a driver's race but after that forget about it.

Well said. With equal drivers I give the edge to the LS2 in the 1/4 as well.

PoisonSnake

Banned
With the mods in my sig, not even I can spin in 3rd gear @ 40. It's too high of a gear. 2nd gear @ 40 I have to feather it since I'm still on the garbage F1's. Some Nitto's should change that though.

MustangFreak

Established Member
Not to change the subject but I have ran a brand spankin new 05 A4 GTO on the freeway. We started at 50mph and went up to about 140mph 3 seperate times and I stayed ahead all 3 times. I wouldn't say I pulled him but I definitely was not losing ground or really gaining ground. I am pretty sure a 6 speed would pull away from me. I only have welded in Flowmasters and a K&N drop-in filter. So I might have 5-8 more horsepower than a stock Mach 1. I think GM really hurt the stock performance with the LS2 with the Torque Management system. If a LS2 GTO has a performance tune, I don't think a stock or nearly stock Mach1 has a chance.....

Just my opinion though.....

Users who are viewing this thread