'03 Cobra vs. question

03CobraBro

Established Member
Originally posted by StickyFinga
The weight difference isn't 400 pds.

Also I think everyone is overrating the Mach1, that car is simply a Bullit with a shaker hood. We all know that stock Bullits still got smoked by SSs so why would this car be any different?

eh...? What the hell Mach1 are you talking about?

My1stFord

Established Member
Originally posted by SVTVenom
Who would win between a bone-stock '03 Cobra and a Cam/headers Z28 LS1?

There's one sure way to find out... let us know how it turns out :beer:

StickyFinga

Established Member
We'll just have to wait for the normal person to get one...I think the one that was tested that hit the 13 was a factory beast. It simply isn't much stronger than a GT and GT ares extremely weak.

BTW...Muscle Mustang and Fast Ford tested a bone stock Z28 and ran a 12.9 w/it so both companies make those "stock" cars for the mags to play with.

03CobraBro

Established Member
Yes... they tested that bone stock Z-28 with drag radials and got that 12.9... Just like they tested a bone stock mach1 with a set of DR's and ran a 12.97...

www.mach1registry.com That'll give you an idea of the numbers there running.

Normal people have had them since november/december.

Last edited:

StickyFinga

Established Member
I have never personally seen one at the track, so I can't give a real life view on their speed. Their numbers just don't add up to that much a lower ET over the GT Mustang.

03CobraBro

Established Member
Why? Its a dual over head cam in comparison the the mustang GT's SOHC... The guys on the mach1 registry said those things are dyno'ing 305rwhp+ in comparison to the conservative 305hp crank rating ford dished out. Thats about 350crank hp... thats about what the stock F-bodies were pulling out too (350 crank hp) which was underrated by GM.

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member
Originally posted by 03CobraBro
Yes... they tested that bone stock Z-28 with drag radials and got that 12.9... Just like they tested a bone stock mach1 with a set of DR's and ran a 12.97...

www.mach1registry.com That'll give you an idea of the numbers there running.

Normal people have had them since november/december.

Actually, they ran a 12.89@107? (not positive on the mph) with bone stock street tires, no drag radials. Of course this was with perfect track conditions, etc. and probably has very very little repeatability, but it was done. Evan Smith drove the Cobra with I think gears, exhaust, and drag radials to a 12.99 that day. Needless to say, the Camaro was a freak. I really don't think you can put much stock in magazine times anyways.

BOOOOST

Established Member
Yes... they tested that bone stock Z-28 with drag radials and got that 12.9...

Oh really??? They never told us it had DR's :) Just said "street tires" (duh!).

03CobraBro

Established Member
Guys, lets be realistic here... No bone stock F body or Mach1 is going to run high 12 second ET's on the stock good year skins. The only way thats possible is if you can keep that engine as cold as the coldest winter day on the hottest of pavement.

If the Stock Mach1/F-bodies (with the stock rubbers) can run high(Z28) closer to mid(with the SS) 12's, then the Eaton supercharger is either a waste of space and weight or the 03 Cobra's are actually bone stock high 11 second cars.

agof95

Established Member
I recently raced an '01 SS (exhaust, lid, bigger MAF & TB) and it wasn't even close. From 0-100 I had him by 6 lengths and up to 140 by more than 10 car lengths. I was expecting more out of a modded SS. We turned around and did it again with the same results.

I haven't taken my car to the track yet, so I can't say what it would run.

agof95

Established Member
Sounds like ya got one of the juicy ones. Good job man :) :thumbsup:

Thanks, I hope I did. I need to get to a dyno and the track to be sure.

Unusual T/A

Established Member
Originally posted by agof95
I recently raced an '01 SS (exhaust, lid, bigger MAF & TB) and it wasn't even close. From 0-100 I had him by 6 lengths and up to 140 by more than 10 car lengths. I was expecting more out of a modded SS. We turned around and did it again with the same results.

I haven't taken my car to the track yet, so I can't say what it would run.

The maf probably killed every other mod on his car. I guess good kill.

agof95

Established Member
Originally posted by Unusual T/A
The maf probably killed every other mod on his car. I guess good kill.

A kill is a kill is a kill. Run what you brung.

My buddy ('03 Cobra with same mods as mine) also beat him, just not as bad. The guy told us that we're the only two that have beat him.

I forgot to mention that he also had underdrive pulleys.

Unusual T/A

Established Member
A kill is a kill is a kill. Run what you brung.

My buddy ('03 Cobra with same mods as mine) also beat him, just not as bad. The guy told us that we're the only two that have beat him.

I forgot to mention that he also had underdrive pulleys.

You mean a underdrive pulley right? Most don't run crank and alternator, just crank. Was he a 6 speed or a4? I have yet to run a 03 but want to as I may be selling my car for one.. :shrug:

agof95

Established Member
Yes, he said it had underdrive pulley(s). I don't recall if he said it singular or plural.

It was a six speed.

All you have to do is ask and I'm sure some of the DFW guys on this board will meet you for a race.

Unusual T/A

Established Member
Yes, he said it had underdrive pulley(s). I don't recall if he said it singular or plural.

It was a six speed.

All you have to do is ask and I'm sure some of the DFW guys on this board will meet you for a race.

Where do I find these guys?

agof95

Established Member
Originally posted by Unusual T/A
Where do I find these guys?

Try a post titled "Calling all DFW guys". You could add "that want to get smoked by a T/A" to the end of it for immediate response :D

Seriously, some of them are:
Coleman
DD2000GT
Hunter
olchakla
RigorMortis

Unusual T/A

Established Member
Try a post titled "Calling all DFW guys". You could add "that want to get smoked by a T/A" to the end of it for immediate response :D

Seriously, some of them are:
Coleman
DD2000GT
Hunter
olchakla
RigorMortis

Users who are viewing this thread