03 Compound Cobra vs New "Lightly" Modded CBR1000

Digital

Established Member
A group of bikers are at one of the hang outs. The slowest one was a new CBR1000 which I had gathered had some weight reduction and at least a tune. Dude was a real good rider (from what I saw in the race) and ~185#s.

I asked if he wanted to go and they laughed and I said for real. They say no car has beat them but a ton have tried. I tell them I take 750s by more then a few cars which seems to get their attention. So we roll out.
It's a little "damp" and I was spinning till 80-90 earlier. I tell him to start in front of me and I'd flash my lights to signal the go (He had no mirrors) but he started behind me half a car for some reason.

I'm in 4th at ~85 when I flash my lights. He nails it hard and when he gets to my door I roll into the gas strong. At that RPM full boost is instant and we're off. At the top of 4th I've stopped him about a car ahead and I dare say I might have gained some real estate back, I slam 5th and he creeps maybe a car more ahead do to my poor shift. I hold him to that till ~170 when the engine lets go.

Black smoke everywhere like a poorly tuned diesel truck, car is shaking causing it to sway all over the lane. I get it slowed down and we pull off the road. He was impressed and I joked about it eating a piston (probably did.)
We exchanged pleasantries about the race and he takes off. I limp my bitch back to my shop looking like it's a meth dragster on fire to await the new short block I have built there.

(Edited to add epic 1 handed completely fail iphone video)

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gx6lJrk9FPQ"]YouTube - 03 Compound Cobra vs New "Lightly" Modded CBR1000[/nomedia]

Last edited:

Digital

Established Member
With the new shortblock are you planning on sticking with compound boost?
I'm going to stick with it for now. When the second 78mm comes I'll have to make the choice then.

Damn that sucks? Were you trying to blow the motor?
I had a built short block in my back pocket so it wasn't a large concern of mine but I've wound out 5th more then a hand full of times in races and certainly was not trying to blow anything up at those speeds on the street.

pics of your car and dyno sheet please :) (any pics with girls preffered lol)
060-1.jpg

066-1.jpg

photo2uz.jpg

image015m.jpg

img5240cv.jpg

dsc00530yy.jpg

90goldtsiawd

here 4 da laffs & cruelty
Established Member
Took just shy of 11 seconds from start to finish. I would have caught him had it not let go, I was reeling him in. By 190-200 his ass woulda been mine.

You almost had me? You never had me- you never had your car!

images

Lol sorry to hear about your motor dying... Any idea what happened yet?

Last edited:

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
Damn that's really stupid fast lol. To bad you blew up your motor though. that's never fun. G/L with the new build.

Digital

Established Member

images

lol. Instead of car it should have been motor. I really don't know. It's hard to tell. It's throwing cyl 2 mis-fire code and that is it. Not over heating, not losing oil pressure, nothing. I drove it ~40+ miles back to my shop and it's completely internal. It retained all the fluids from what I can tell. It blows so much black smoke it's insane though. I'll probably stick a snake camera light into the cyl if I can before taking it apart to get a better idea but worst case it'll be a week or two till I got it torn down.
I'm swapping the heads and all that over besides the cams so if they are good I'm not too worried about the bottom end. Would be nice to be able to part as much of it out as possible though so minimal damage would be ideal heh.

Last edited:

04svtsnke

Established Member

images

haha funny! digital, i just went back over all of your thread after your accident and to hear about this now, I feel so bad dude! i know you have another shortblock waiting but I guess the fact you just got her up and running and then boom...anyway I;m sure youll have her up and running strong in no time. good luck and keep us posted! btw the car is extreme sickness.....

Digital

Established Member
haha funny! digital, i just went back over all of your thread after your accident and to hear about this now, I feel so bad dude! i know you have another shortblock waiting but I guess the fact you just got her up and running and then boom...anyway I;m sure youll have her up and running strong in no time. good luck and keep us posted! btw the car is extreme sickness.....
Thanks man. That did suck. I just got that motor in lol. But I suppose that was practice right? Was a good learning experience putting it all back together. Should be easy as pie now, right?

Would have shat self.
The submarine belt on the 5 point doubles for a shit retaining device thankfully. I pulled over not to check the car but to empty my shorts.

(Epic 1 handed shitty iphone video added)

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gx6lJrk9FPQ"]YouTube - 03 Compound Cobra vs New "Lightly" Modded CBR1000[/nomedia]

Last edited:

epracmetcon

Established Member
Nope. It might have ate the plug and the car is completely fine after a 7$ plug swap. Do to some other things that it was doing while driving I -HIGHLY- doubt that though lol.

Right, but it may have. Even if it didn't, the plug will tell you a lot. If it melted a hole in the piston, you would be getting a good amount of white/blueish smoke, not black.

Digital

Established Member
Right, but it may have. Even if it didn't, the plug will tell you a lot. If it melted a hole in the piston, you would be getting a good amount of white/blueish smoke, not black.
Indeed. I was so tired when I got it back to the shop, and kinda high from the ride there lol. I didn't even pop the hood the whole time.
I def haven't thrown in the towel. I want to know what happened exactly and will put all my resources into diagnosing the problem.

Digital

Established Member
picz3w.jpg

Yaaaa... I'm pretty sure cyl melted lol. In the words of my partner "man this is exciting, now we get to make that thing go fast." Bastard.

Users who are viewing this thread