03 Mach 1 Vs 03 SRT-4

SnkBtn99

Speeding bullet!!
Established Member
You buy your cars for what you want and the rest of us will buy them for whatever reason they want.

Let's do a little DOE. Go out in the general public and holler at the top of your lungs that you would rather have a "cute" little Neon versus a Mustang Mach 1. Tabulate how many people would agree with you for that decision and how many would think you are a fargin idiot.

I just think it is funny that "speed" is the ONLY thing that matters. Hopefully you are not the same way with your women. "Yep Jeb, she has a vagina so she must be a good woman!"

702lightning

Sck Snake
Established Member
Originally posted by SNK BITN
Listen up everyone, ITS A NEON! How cool do you look in a neon? I have a feeling that if VW made a 13 second beetle, you would say "cool, my new favorite car cause they go 13's now" :rollseyes:

WERD im w/ him^ ITs a FREAKING NEON:xpl:

TTA89

Established Member
Originally posted by SnkBtn99
You buy your cars for what you want and the rest of us will buy them for whatever reason they want.

I will, the original post was asking about performance facts, not how cool the Mustang is vs the Neon. I explained how in my experience and going to the track once a week I have seen what the Neons and the Mach 1s are capable of. I see the Neon's beating the Mach 1s. I don't see Mach 1s running bottom 13s and no where near 12s but thats at my track. Maybe yours is different. I don't think the original post was asking about coolness but I'll have to go back and check. :bored:

Let's do a little DOE. Go out in the general public and holler at the top of your lungs that you would rather have a "cute" little Neon versus a Mustang Mach 1. Tabulate how many people would agree with you for that decision and how many would think you are a fargin idiot.

Thats easy, the general public is a bunch of morons. Not everyone is into cars and some people that are don't care about performance, they like to be looked at and pretend they have fast cars like you guys. :burnout:

I am getting the feeling that if it's not a Mustang or Ford it sucks. Thats sad....

I just think it is funny that "speed" is the ONLY thing that matters.

What did you buy a Mustang for? So you can attract attention?? I don't understand your thinking. Cheap interior, sqeeks, rattles, flex if not for performance there are many superior cars than a Mustang built an a 1979 chasis.

SNK BITN

Established Member
Originally posted by TTA89
I am getting the feeling that if it's not a Mustang or Ford it sucks. Thats sad

Nope, if its a silly commuter car and you look silly in it, we'll call you a silly little simp. Then me and the morons of the general public will laugh at you. You can take that all the way down the traps with ya as you take your 13 second time slip.

SNK BITN

Established Member
What did you buy a Mustang for? So you can attract attention?? I don't understand your thinking. Cheap interior, sqeeks, rattles, flex if not for performance there are many superior cars than a Mustang built an a 1979 chasis.

Yup, and one of them is not a neon.
lame.gif

Spritle

Anti-EV
Established Member
WOOHOOO!! I was wondering when the next Neon/Evo/WRX thread was gonna be started. I mean, it has been like 5 minutes:rollseyes

Neon OWNZ!!!:kaboom:

Last edited:

SNK BITN

Established Member
Originally posted by Spritle
WOOHOOO!! I was wondering when the next Neon/Evo/WRX thread was gonna be started. I mean, it has been like 5 minutes.:rollseyes

Neon OWNZ!!!:kaboom:

True dat! Ludacrus speed Neon!!
slomo.gif

TTA89

Established Member
Originally posted by SNK BITN
Nope, if its a silly commuter car and you look silly in it, we'll call you a silly little simp. Then me and the morons of the general public will laugh at you. You can take that all the way down the traps with ya as you take your 13 second time slip.

Looking silly would be getting beat by a Neon I would think. No matter how stupid I would look in it, you driving a Cobra would always look worse with a Neon beating you down the track.

Ripper

And Then Some............
Established Member
Well looks is matter of opinion, the Performance is fact.

I am not tied to one brand or style of car. If Kia came out with a 400hp AWD Turbo something I would buy it.

It's the performance that matters to me and the SRT4 has way more potential in stock form than the Mach 1 does unless your into ripping the whole car apart and rebuilding it which I am not.

Couple tweaks and prods and the Neon will own the Mach.

lol ! Yeah i'll take a turbo 4 over a DOHC v8 anyday ! :lol1: :rolleyes:

rocket5979

Established Member
Well i am kind of divided on this thread. I mean I like a vehicle to have great performcne but i also like a vehicle to look good too. In my opinion i would rather have the Mach -1 versus the neon (I am partial to V-8's), this the the whole package we are talking about here, not just performance. I mean i get alot of personal satisfaction out of going to the track and laying down some good times. I really do. But you know that it is also meant for bragging rights and to impress buddies by what the reaction times were last night or something. All i am saying is that while buying something they want, all people, even though they may not realize it are not only buying something they like but also buying something other people like too. That is why alot of people ask for second opinions. Either way i would have to say i would buy a car based upon looks AND performance. Because it isnt either or to me it is the whole package.

And by the way, SnkBtn99, the only chicks i would choose to be with would have to have a vagina AND a killer body. :-D

Last edited:

rocket5979

Established Member
Oh and by the way. If Kia did come out with a 600 horsepower AWD car. I would buy it, IF it looked good and had a reliable enough drivetrain. But most STOCK Kia's i have seen look like tiny bitch cars. Pardon my french. Notice i said stock. Most any vehicle can be modded to be fast or modded to look good if done a certain way. Some just require more money than others to get there.

G-STANG

Established Member
Here we go again

Hey TTA89 listen up, I no beef with you but understand that Mach 1's you see at the track are rookie drivers. I know people buy these cars even 03 Cobra's and it is their first manual tranny car come on. I saw a 2002 Z06 run 13.7. Go figure, that is a low 12 second car. Oh yeah that neon is easy to drive cause compared to a mach 1. My girlfriend bought an auto 03 gt cause she didn't like how heavy the clutch was. To me it is ok but it's her car not mine so not my choice. You know what drive a Mach 1 and a SRT-4 and tell me which is easier to drive. Damm you own a lightning you should know how hard it is to launch with all that torque and rwd. Oh yeah don't forget the gear ratios in 4cyl cars they are always have 3.73's or higher ratios in sport models. Take a regular neon tranny an diff then we will talk. Look at civic's with motor swaps they go like stink (well low14's -15 seconds is fast to civic drivers) cause of the ratios and light weight, think.
That's my opinion:beer:

G-STANG

Established Member
opps

I meant ring and pinion not diff, my goof so used to talking about rwd cars.

KillrCobra

Established Member
Well looks is matter of opinion, the Performance is fact.

I am not tied to one brand or style of car. If Kia came out with a 400hp AWD Turbo something I would buy it.

It's the performance that matters to me and the SRT4 has way more potential in stock form than the Mach 1 does unless your into ripping the whole car apart and rebuilding it which I am not.

Couple tweaks and prods and the Neon will own the Mach.

Dude, put the bong away and step away. You should be proud of this statement...i'm saving it as the queerest post i've ever read. You my friend know nothing about cars. Take 4.56s, ET streets, and a full exhaust on a MACH with a good driver and I'm sure you would see 11s. So where in the hell do you get off saying the srt4 has more potential then the MACH??? Have you actually ever drove an SRT-4? Well I have, and it's the typical cheap crap that you'ld expect from an economy car. To try and compare the neon with a base mustang (let a alone a Mach1) is idioticness. The neon is NOT aggressive looking, it drives like a neon with a turbo, and the quality sucks. So to say the neon is the best car out there for the money is moronic.

Face it you ***, the srt-4 is a neon with a turbo...bottom damn line. Oh yeah, go ahead and give me the typical retort...well, that's like saying a mach 1 or cobra is just a mustang. The differences between the mach/cobra and base mustang are far greater than the difference between a neon and an srt4 neon. They sound the same, besides the fr bumper look the same, and they both have 4 bangers. Obviously TTA, you walk around with a limp wrist, because no testosterone driven male would EVER pick a neon over a mach 1

.....if you're a chick then disregard the above post.

Last edited by a moderator:

GoatDaddy

yep, another neon thread. this is becoming neonforum.com

the way people go on about the little skittle, you'd almost think it was a contender.

So it's reasonably fast, but what good is that to me if I wouldn't be caught dead in one. It's a matter of taste.

voodoo96743

Established Member
You guys need to do some research.

The SRT4 runs high 13s ~100 mph stock. With 1500 bucks in mods they are in the high 12s trapping 108-110mph.

You want to talk about Torque? The SRT's with the boost turned up and exhaust are making almost 300 Ft/lbs.

You cannot beat Forced Induction. Just aint gonna happen :coolman:

From what I have been reading they have been doing very well at the Auto X events as well and the brakes seem to be ok.

I would buy an SRT4 over a Mach 1 anyday of the week.

I mean what are you gonna do to the Mach1 to make it faster? Add Headers and an intake for 5hp? Screw that.. Turn up the Boost, add exhaust and pick up 50hp in the Neon.

You do the research here. Mach 1 with a good driver and slicks is in the high 12s. It already has the power for 12s, it just needs the traction. And that's funny about the torque, the Mach puts out 335 at the flywheel, stock.

What else to shoot down... Oh, shorty headers have been shown by several different owners to give 9-11 rwhp, and another 25-30 or so with a catted mid pipe and catback, and bumped up timing will put you easily over 300rwhp, closer to 310. Sooo, put the same $1500 into a Mach, and it will still be faster.

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
look bud if kia came out with a automobile in a v-8 or v-12 that has more torque than horsepower i would be very tempted. the only automobile company that has come close to that from the eastern part of the world is acura and the nsx. from what i have heard is that this car is awesome to drive. i still would not purchase it for 20k. i would let my friend buy it because he would appreciate more than i would. i may be a little wierd i dont want to drive a sports car that does not have that big block rumble.

its not that i dont like srt-4, they are very stout little cars that can perform with the more powerful cars. its that the srt-4 is a neon. like i said before that srt-8 i believe with the s/c hemi is going to be bad a$$.
bottom line its not a manufactuer battle at all. i would not buy the svt focus either. and if i had 40k i would buy a z06. hell i did not even have 30k, credit is my friend though. my friends thought i was crazy when i told them i was going to buy a mustang over my second choice(1996 993) in the 30k range. some even laughed. your buying a mustang over a porsche? i told them that it was a little faster, but that is not the reason i went with ford. it was to hear that engine rumble when i turned the key. :D

98gtstang

www.snma.net
Established Member
Like some people have said its not all about the performance.

Performance is a big factor but when people ask what kind of car do you drive I would rather say Mach1 then a Neon:shrug:

Users who are viewing this thread