03 owners who use Mobil 1 synthetic

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
Originally posted by DonPablo94SVT
So, um Cobra 03....what do you put in your snake and when did you put it in?

Thanks

DonPablo
in Kosovo

That sounds like a rather personal question ;-) I think he uses Amsoil - 0W-30. I am sure he'll speakup for himself.

Virus

Established Member
I've used the Amsoil Series 2000 0w30 for years without problems. I change it in my Durango once to twice a year and every 7-10k in my Maxima until I hit the 30k mark and then I'll do 13-15k intervals. I used 25-30k intervals in my 94 civic and had 250k before selling. I sold it to a Honda mechanic that insisted on tearing the engine apart to see the extent of the damage before buying the car. He now uses Amsoil:D

fr03cobra

Established Member
I'm going to use castrol syntec 5w-50 after I hit 5000 miles.

I was hooked on mobil1 in my 97 gt but I decided not to use it in my cobra. I still use mobil 1 oil filter with a Bear magnet.

Last edited:

Petzuk

White Term
Established Member
Originally posted by jonas
waiting for the svt god's reply, I'm doing whatever he does

You're gonna hear Amsoil Series 2000 0W30.... From what I learned on this forum, this oil is in 4 of my family's 5 cars.

:rolling: :beer: :rolling:

Cobra'03

Established Member
Originally posted by DonPablo94SVT
So, um Cobra 03....what do you put in your snake and when did you put it in?

Thanks

DonPablo
in Kosovo

Let me ask my wife...Honey!

I use 0w30 Amsoil Series 2000.

Or RedLine 5w30. Depends what is in the shop when I need it.

Cobra'03

Established Member
Re: Re: Re: 03 owners who use Mobil 1 synthetic

Originally posted by caveman6666
They might know from the color.

I defy anyone to identify an oil that has been run for a thousand miles by its color, which will be the same - dark.

Cobra'03

Established Member
Originally posted by fr03cobra

I was hooked on mobil1 in my 97 gt but I decided not to use it in my cobra. I still use mobil 1 oil filter with a Bear magnet.

I am down on Castrol, and I mean down in the old sense - I do not like it. It is not a true synthetic, and to get a 5w50 spread, you need a lot of Viscosity Index improver. 50 wt is too high for adequate oil flow rates IMO.

Castrol makes some top synoils in Europe which they do not import here. Remember that is was Castrol that started the dumbing down of synoils by selling Group III isodewaxed mineral oils as "synthetics". The legal wrangling allowed them to do it, and a number of oil companies dropped the quality of their syns from Group IV to Group III to keep competitive. The sneaky deal is that the costs did not drop that much.

For my money, I would use Pennzoil Multi-Vis 5w30 before any Syntec product.

SVT God says Red Line, Mobil 1, NEO, Motul, and Amsoil are first tier products.

For mineral oils, I like Pennzoil and Valvoline - but ther are "children of a lesser god".

And yes, 0w30 Series 2000 Amsoil is what I am using, with Mobil 1 filters.

Petzuk: Maybe I am entitled to a finder's fee? Thanks for the support.

BOOOOST

Established Member
If you're going to go with Mobil 1 just buy 5w-30 and be done with it.

Oil threads SUCK!

Virus

Established Member
Originally posted by fr03cobra

Please don't use Castrol Syntec. It's without a doubt the worst synthetic oil on the market. It's actually not a true synthetic oil. I'ts only a group III oil that uses regular dino base stock. It breaks down way too rapidly and even their regular Castrol GTX outperforms it. It was ranked in 11th place on www.motor-oil-bible.com in the 5w30 category

It ranked last in the 0w30 category

54th in the 10w30 category

I think you get the point. Mobil didn't fair well, but they didn't test the SuperSyn, they tested the Tri-Syn which stayed around 10th place. Redline was in the top 10, Royal Purple was spread out depending on weight and Amsoil was always either at the top or a close 2nd.

Virus

Established Member
Originally posted by Cobra'03
I am down on Castrol, and I mean down in the old sense - I do not like it. It is not a true synthetic, and to get a 5w50 spread, you need a lot of Viscosity Index improver. 50 wt is too high for adequate oil flow rates IMO.

Castrol makes some top synoils in Europe which they do not import here. Remember that is was Castrol that started the dumbing down of synoils by selling Group III isodewaxed mineral oils as "synthetics". The legal wrangling allowed them to do it, and a number of oil companies dropped the quality of their syns from Group IV to Group III to keep competitive. The sneaky deal is that the costs did not drop that much.

For my money, I would use Pennzoil Multi-Vis 5w30 before any Syntec product.

SVT God says Red Line, Mobil 1, NEO, Motul, and Amsoil are first tier products.

For mineral oils, I like Pennzoil and Valvoline - but ther are "children of a lesser god".

And yes, 0w30 Series 2000 Amsoil is what I am using, with Mobil 1 filters.

Petzuk: Maybe I am entitled to a finder's fee? Thanks for the support.

I also use the Amsoil Series 2000 0w30 with Mobil 1 filters. The mobil 1 filters and the K&N filters are both made by Champion labs. Both have the same construction inside, but the K&N has more media. For whatever reason however, the Mobil 1 consistantly stops more dirt according to reviews I've read. Amsoil filters come in a close 3rd behind these two.

Cobra'03

Established Member
Originally posted by 03cobrablack
I went on mobil ones web page and while they dont list 0w-20 on the main paige if you go to the product data page it lists 0w-20 and it says for ford and honda . i dont think i have seen it aruond here though.

I saw 0w20 M1 at Wal-Mart today. It is real.

Cobra'03

Established Member
Originally posted by Virus
Please don't use Castrol Syntec. It's without a doubt the worst synthetic oil on the market. It's actually not a true synthetic oil. I'ts only a group III oil that uses regular dino base stock. It breaks down way too rapidly and even their regular Castrol GTX outperforms it. It was ranked in 11th place on www.motor-oil-bible.com in the 5w30 category

It ranked last in the 0w30 category

54th in the 10w30 category

I think you get the point. Mobil didn't fair well, but they didn't test the SuperSyn, they tested the Tri-Syn which stayed around 10th place. Redline was in the top 10, Royal Purple was spread out depending on weight and Amsoil was always either at the top or a close 2nd.

Virus: i agree about Syntec - it should be SinBlech.

Re: those rankings - I will excamine them, but isn't that guy an Amsoil dealer?

Virus

Established Member
He is an Amsoil and Royal Purple dealer from what I gather, but seeing as Amsoil wasn't ranked #1 in each weight, sometimes ending up close to 10th place, I'm assuming that he's being honest with the numbers. Another thing I've noticed is that if he has no data for any particular section he just leaves it blank and that hurts the ranking. However, this does seem to be the most robust information I've ever come across. There is so much info on oils, oil filters, additives, etc. It's well worth the $9, especially if your trying to learn.

KHsonic03

Established Member
I thought mobil 1 uses synthetic fiber filter, and K&N uses paper? Mobil boasts 95% efficiency, while K&N only boasts 90% efficiency right on the box.

Virus

Established Member
Both filters have the same media in them. The K&N has more media, but for whatever reason it's not as efficient.

Virus

Established Member
Originally posted by KHsonic03
That's what cobra03 said.:shrug:

I know. I've read at least 3 really good reviews. All of the reviewers stated the same results, but none of them could understand why the K&N had slightly worse results considering it had more media and everything else appeared to be exact internally. I haven't been able to find any information or any theories as to why. Since I can't find the links, I can't analyze the data. One filter may have it's bypass psi set lower than the other. I've also read reviews showing that the Amsoil is better, but unfortunately they were written by Amsoil reps which doesn't show any neutral ground. It appears that the Amsoil filters have more dirt trapping ability as they use more media, but the K&N and Mobil 1 filters have a better 1st pass rating and can trap dirt in the 10-15 micron rating where as the Amsoil is 15-20 microns. The higher of the numbers is more likely correct.

Users who are viewing this thread