03 Suspension- What is everyone doing?

bborder

Established Member
On my last Cobra, a 98, I went with the full Griggs/Koni coil over suspension w/ 450lb springs in front and 175lb in the rear and it was pretty harsh. I don't want to go to that extreme this time but the car will see open track road racing about once a month. Thinking more along the lines of the Maximum Motorsport coil over kits with some less agressive spring rates. Curious what everyone else has done or is planning on doing and if you have any pictures of your cars after its been lowered. Thanks for your input.

StreetSnake

Established Member
BBorder right now these guys are just a little busy trying to make 500 RWHP which is just around the corner, after they do that then they will concentrate getting the rubber down on the pavement lol:beer:

i8u

Established Member
Any vert owners ever put the coupe springs in? I remember some were considering this.:beer:

mike69440

Established Member
Other than subframe connectors and some teflon bushing here and there, nothing planned.

I do have a good thing to say about this Car. I was on vacation last weekend and came through Boston on the half torn down and squigglely upper deck of the dreaded Southeast Expressway very late in the evening. The Cobra surprised me with its nailed down composer on a road that at the speeds I was one hand driving, even one finger driving, lesser cars would have bounced out of their lane. Even at normal speeds, lesser cars were struggling. Ford did an excellent job with the suspension tuning of the old fox platform with the 03. Car has decent brakes and tires stay planted in a curve. Pure cornering force is only about 10% greater than my PI Crown Vic with Comp T/A's, however the directional stability in a corner over big whoop- de- do - bumps and washboard pavement is much better in The Cobra than the "Cop-Car". It is always a shock to get a rental car Crown Vic and nearly crash it in the first curve! The stock Vic suspension is for Florida "Blue Hairs" and I was always impressed by the handling of my Vic Cop car which I bought as a demonstrator with 4K miles, even to the likes of BMW's and such. The Cobra is an even better handler, and still has a fairly decent ride for the nature of the car.

JKD COBRA

The 6th Deadly Venom
Established Member
I will probably just go with a kit from kenny brown. At first I will get the sub frames, springs, strut braces ect....Then after I do some engine stuff I will get the shocks to complete it.

Goldy

Established Member
On both my Cobra verts (99 and 03), I had the Kenny Brown chassis stiffening pieces added; they make a world of difference in chassis, and IMO, is the place to start. (On my '03, I have a strut tower brace, lower chassis brace, super sub-frame connectors, cross-matrix bracing, jacking rails, rear shock tower brace, and Caster Plus plates.)

Last Friday, I had the opportunity to ride in another Kenny Brown mod'd '03. This car had all of the mod's mine did (with the possible exception of the rear shock tower brace), but also had a coil over conversion, Kenny Brown's lower A-arms up front (think that's what they're called), and Kenny Brown rear springs. This whole set-up was very impressive, and is next on my list of mods for the '03.

Kenny Brown is offering a 10% discount to SVTOA members on Kenny Brown products (not all products they sell, just the Kenny Brown ones). If interested, please let them know Howard of the Indy SVTOA chapter referred you, as Kenny Brown Performance is one of our sponsors (it helps the club).

Good luck.

Howard
Indy SVTOA Chapter Director

'03 Cobra Convertible, Black/Black Top
'99 Cobra Convertible, Electric Green/Black Top

Users who are viewing this thread