04 cobra boosta pump for E85?

LT1BIRD

Established Member
Hey folks! here is a question for ya all.. ive searched for a while.. wondering what my options are. Ive got a 2004 cobra motor. I am looking to switch to E85. ive got twin super car pumps, fore hat, big lines, fuel rails, twin FPDM. If I add a boosta pump or dual boosta pump how much power can this fuel system support?

LT1BIRD

Established Member
I found this on a KB write up......

Fuel Upgrade:
Two Ford GT fuel pumps at 212 lph (20 psi) w/BAP = 600 lph for 1,100 rwhp

01yellercobra

Established Member
What blower? How much boost?

Personally I'm not a fan of the BAP. IMO if the pumps can't handle it without being overdriven you need to upgrade them.

LT1BIRD

Established Member
ok, lets assume i am shooting for 750 whp...im at 600 now.. can i swap out just the pumps and injectors. what pumps would do better than the super car pumps?

LT1BIRD

Established Member
the money has already been spent on the returnless setup lol, I get it.. lots of folks like the return system... but I would like to keep the returnless as im probably gonna stick with this setup for a while.

Black02GT

*Not 2KBlackGT
Established Member
What said above. Depending on which hat, you're pretty much two 465s, a regulator and a return line away from something easier to tune and safer. Pretty big demand difference between 600 93 and 750 e85.

@04sleeper would be the guy to talk to. One of the few tuners that has higher HP e85 working nicely on a returnless. Tricky to not have pressure dips or spikes returnless at that amount of flow, at least for me. He seems to have figured out the secret sauce.

01yellercobra

Established Member
If you're set of staying returnless then I'd look into the Hellcat pumps. I think they can work in a returnless set up.

Something to ask yourself though, how much is your engine worth? You can always sell off the GT pumps and stuff.

03' White Snake

Established Member
E85 takes 30% more fuel just to run. Just imagine pumping that much more fuel and then modulating it (very small pulses) to maintain the correct fuel pressure. Returnless is going to be very difficult to tune with that much power. Your drivability is going to be crap unless your tuner is very good and spends a crap ton of time dialing in the tune. Just the GT pumps and BAP on 93 will take a lot of tuning effort to have good drivability.

Take your “big line” and make it the return, buy a -10 feed and a regular and switch to return. I did exactly what you are trying to do years ago and should have listened and just went full return sooner. Would have been cheaper and had better drivability sooner.

You can be cheap and save $250 now by running the GT pumps in the return hat now then upgrade to some 465’s later from Summit.

Black02GT

*Not 2KBlackGT
Established Member
E85 takes 30% more fuel just to run. Just imagine pumping that much more fuel and then modulating it (very small pulses) to maintain the correct fuel pressure. Returnless is going to be very difficult to tune with that much power. Your drivability is going to be crap unless your tuner is very good and spends a crap ton of time dialing in the tune. Just the GT pumps and BAP on 93 will take a lot of tuning effort to have good drivability.

Take your “big line” and make it the return, buy a -10 feed and a regular and switch to return. I did exactly what you are trying to do years ago and should have listened and just went full return sooner. Would have been cheaper and had better drivability sooner.

Also been down both paths. I find the issues with 700+ and e85 the system is just not well suited to lose and gain pressure at WOT and shifting at that flow. If you think about it, when the bypass on the blower opens for that instant computer see injector drop spike, drops pump demand, back in it now has to speed up. So it is really hard no to spike on throttle close and no dip at throttle in.

Just my opinion I like return with a FRPS to have the extra safety net of still having injector control based on voltage. Many ways and options personally don't think the stock ecu and FPDM was designed for the flow of 700+ e85 returnless.

Don't many modern retunless have in tank bypass which we do not?

2003RedfireVert

Male and Female He created them.
Established Member
Just go return….

:) good luck dude! I bought an updated FPDM, had a 40amp BAP, thinking about going down this route too and said **** it. I went return immediately. The only thing I didn’t do that I regret is going bigger injectors. My 80s are at 85ish duty cycle right now at 670w. I’ll need some 1050x before I up the boost.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
now lets really go down the rabbit hole - if you switched to something like the MS3 plug and play you can run low impedance injectors that are insanely cheaper and with an E85 sensor have a flex fuel setup

2003RedfireVert

Male and Female He created them.
Established Member
I’m about to splurge on an MS3 pro. I have been staring at it on LMR for weeks…
now lets really go down the rabbit hole - if you switched to something like the MS3 plug and play you can run low impedance injectors that are insanely cheaper and with an E85 sensor have a flex fuel setup

Users who are viewing this thread